Coach Paul Johnson Appreciation Thread

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ will be judged very favorably in the history of GT Football. He reached levels that had not been achieved in some time - and with some regularity. He did it his way, with his system. He clearly was a positive influence on many of our SA's as evidenced by these posts. He prioritized the TEAM but expected individual excellence and accountability on/off the field. He did not suffer fools well which lead to sometimes funny / sometimes cringe-worthy moments. I don't know if this system or a variation is the best thing for GT - but this is a man of character and gave his best. Well done!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wish Coach hadn't retired. He had recruited very well for his system over the last three years and we were set for a couple of really good seasons. His career here had some very bad luck over the last four years, something a program like Tech's has a hard time recovering from, but we always came back strongly.

His players and the coaches he had the most influence on have shown above that many of the calumnies heaped on him by his opponents in our fan (I'm using the word loosely) base were and are groundless. That he had his life made harder by these clowns is the main thing I regret and I hope he knows that most Tech fans were his enthusiastic supporters.

Finally, Coach, from an old OL, thanks for making watching Tech football fun again and for engaging with my feelings and my brain at Tech games. I'll miss you more then any Tech coach since Bobby Dodd. Thanks for giving us a chance to see your teams in action and thanks for all you have done for Tech as an institution. Enjoy your retirement and, if Tech asks you to pull a Bill Synder in the future, at least think about it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ does coach again, I hope GT never has to face that team. We might win, but he also might embarrass us like no tomorrow. He did that just this year to Bud Foster, an accepted D genius.

A part of me hopes that if he gets the bug again He ends up at Georgia Southern even if its just as a an OC to kill people. Not have to worry about anything else just killing people with the option attack in paulson.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Thank you for 2009 in Tampa, thank you for the Orange Bowl in 2014 and thank you for beating UGA, all while you were graduating our players, being truthful, caring about them and running a first class program. You will be in the HOF next to our other great coaches. You will be missed and, like good wine, your reputation and accomplishments will only become more appreciated over time. Good luck and enjoy all that comes next.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
My favorite coach since Pepper Rodgers... well, maybe tied with Coach Ross for that distinction. Thanks for the memories, and enjoy the retirement, Coach Johnson!

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I know that we have the CPJ retiring thread, but he deserves this one. Thank you CPJ for giving us some unbelievable moments during your time here. The Orange Bowl in 2014, beating ugag and ending the streak in 2008, the shocking home upsets over top 10 teams, and the ACC championship in 2009. These were just the highlights and most importantly, thank you for leaving Tech football in better shape than what you found it in.
Thank you CPJ!! You will be missed!!

Coach I just want to say thank you for leading the program the way you did. You made the best interest of our student athletes a top priority. You ran a clean program. You brought in high character young men and provided them with a pathway to success. And I really enjoyed watching the spread option roll up yardage. Thank you, and best wishes on whatever you decide to do going forward.