Coach Paul Johnson Appreciation Thread

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It took me the better part of the day today and this evening, for me to get over the shock of hearing about Coach Johnson’s decision.

He truly has been one of a kind, and a successful one at doing what he did for his chosen line of work.

I will definitely miss him. I wish him nothing but all the best in the world for him, after what he has done for 40 years.

I also look forward to his induction into the National College Football Hall of Fame, in the future. He’s a lock.

He did a helluva lot serving as the head coach for 11 years at one of the toughest college football coaching jobs in the country.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Saw this from Mark Schlabach on ESPN.com:

My favorite Paul Johnson story: After his team beat Georgia for a second straight time at Sanford Stadium in 2016, officials went to the visiting locker room to present him with the Governor's Cup. They found him staring at the ceiling and asked what he was doing. "Looking for a place for the sign," he said. What sign? "The Paul Johnson visitor's locker room," he replied. "I own this (expletive) place."

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember when most of us loved CPJs aggressiveness ? Getting in players faces, going for it on 4th down ?

I’m truly afraid that when’s he’s gone we are going to realize what we had.

Or maybe I have a severe man crush, either way we will rue the day we collectively (admin and fans) failed to support the winningest Tech coach in FIVE DECADES

I think what bothers me the most about this is that after watching his interview on 11alive I have no doubt he still wants to coach and will — for someone else.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Made a last minute decision to go to the Uva game, which is a 12 hour round trip drive. I had great time at the game and appreciate the fact that I went even more now...little did I (we) know it was the last time seeing a legend on the GT sidelines.

Coach, I honestly believe that I know why you are leaving. But it's been one helluva ride and I wish you nothing but the best going forward. And thanks for all that you have done.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
This news has me a bit shaken, not because I think "all is lost," rather it came too soon for my liking. I remain a fan of Paul Johnson the coach, and the man. I'm thankful for all he has done for GT. He ran a program I could always be proud to cheer for. I will miss him. Should he resurface somewhere else at a later date, I will cheer for him (unless he coaches against GT). Thanks for all the memories!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Amazing tributes from many outside the “GT Family.”

Think it is also appropriate for the Asst Coaches and their families to be included in this.

CPJ, on many levels, will be fine.

Many Asst. Coaches will now be out of work with, I assume, nowhere near the nest egg the HC might have.

Just thought I would add this, read Bradley's article in the AJC, Bradley is an idiot and knows nothing about Tech or football. Says we need to go to a pro system get a pro style quarterback.....exactly who have we ever had,,,,,Nesbitt, Shawn Jones, Joe Hamilton,,,,we have never had a pro style QB. Goose may have been the closest.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Just thought I would add this, read Bradley's article in the AJC, Bradley is an idiot and knows nothing about Tech or football. Says we need to go to a pro system get a pro style quarterback.....exactly who have we ever had,,,,,Nesbitt, Shawn Jones, Joe Hamilton,,,,we have never had a pro style QB. Goose may have been the closest.

He only says that because he thinks it will help the school in Athens.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

We have had just a few, Colorado, but we were not successful with them.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Coach Johnson reached the highs I knew he could when hired. I’ll always regret that he didn’t have the resources to really make the most of his run at Tech.

I will always be grateful for the great job he did on the flats, the awesome games and seasons, doing it the right way, and pouring into the young men who became Yellow Jackets under his watch.

All good things come to an end. I hope even better things await he and his family.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I will definitely miss Coach Johnson. Had the opportunity to quarterback his spread option offense in high school. At the time in the early 2000s, to say he was highly respected in GA high school football, was an understatement. The guy was worshipped. I couldn’t have been more happy when we hired him in ‘08 and while there have been plenty of head-scratching, frustrating moments, the highs were very high. I really enjoyed watching almost every one of his teams here, so much more so than Gailey’s and would’ve loved to see what he could have done with top tier talent. Of course, I’ll never forget his many, many quotes and 1 liners over the years, never a dull moment, just a whole lot of pure honest truth.

Thanks for the great memories Coach Johnson

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have been blessed to watch this man coach since a cold, wet November afternoon in 2008. "Where's the sting of these yellow jackets?" Indeed. I've had the priveledge to call a few of his kids my friends including Roddy Jones and JC Lanier.

So many of my memories of Tech are tied to his teams and their struggles and triumphs. Beating #4 VT in 09, and getting Clemson twice that year. Clemson in 2011, the wild shootout in Kennan stadium in 2012. The 2014 season, the Miracle on Techwood Drive in an injury riddled 2015, and of course the QUAntum Leap in Athens in 2016, where Steph got the Unicorn photo of the Cesspool scoreboard that read Tech 28 uga 27 with 0's on the clock.

Now for just the second time ever, my primary team is searching for a head coach. I've met Todd Stansbury, I trust him to choode the right guy, and we'll be in Bobby Dodd again next fall. Go Jackets! God Bless you Paul, and thanks for all the awesome memories

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul, thanks for every ounce of yourself that you've given. What a ride, my friend. You brought a ferocity and a set of expectations that, quite ironically, you ended up suffering in comparison to for the last several years. Rest up. You did good for 40 years!! I couldn't be prouder of you, and for you. I am only sad for us. But relieved for you, too.

Since Susan will probably read this, I'd be remiss if I failed to say that we love you with all our hearts. I wish you were here for us to hug right now. You've given the program a fierce support, and have dedicated yourself to his work on the Flats loyally. Can't wait to see you guys next.
Great post Dr Jacket. I am so happy people like you are posting the truth and showing how the vast majority of us true fans are feeling right now!!!!