Coach Paul Johnson Appreciation Thread

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Dear Coach Johnson,

As I write this, Georgia Tech has just introduced its new Head Football Coach, Geoff Collins. I sincerely hope that his enthusiasm can be sustained and that he succeeds at Tech. But, I am not writing to you about that, I am writing for one simple reason.

I wanted to thank you.

I am simply a fan and all I know is what I see at a distance. But I try to observe how things are done, and I try to notice the details. I noticed not only what you accomplished at Georgia Tech, but (as much as one can form afar) I also noticed how you did things.

You have been a class act in every way, as far as I can see. I have watched other coaches stay in their current jobs and force their employer’s hand to fire them so they could walk away with their buyout. To the best of my knowledge, you did not do that. I noticed that you timed your decision and announcement in a way that would help GT in the current recruiting cycle.

Beyond that, I noticed that you graduated 85% of your players. I heard you speak of the two most emotional days you have had in coaching as the days when you spoke to your players at Navy and then again here at Tech to announce you were leaving. That speaks to bonds that matter.

You were a no-nonsense speaker. You told things like they were. Although, in retrospect, I believe you shielded the fan base from how bad things got under prior AD’s in terms of investment in the program and keeping up with the rest of the conference athletically. Many of us wonder if that disinterest extended beyond the indifferent AD’s to the Hill as well. But I know you are too much of a professional to speak out of school about such matters.

All in all, even though I had my days when I grumbled about our record (or even our offense) I wanted you to know that I genuinely appreciate the way you handled yourself and the professionalism and class you have demonstrated in everything you have done around Georgia Tech. There is at least one GT fan out there who wants to say “Thanks” as sincerely as I can for all you have given to Georgia Tech over the last 11 years.

We ask a lot of our coaches these days. I think you gave us all anyone could ever have asked for. You are competitive, and there is no doubt in my mind that you desired a better record than you achieved. No fan can match the intensity of a competitive coach in terms of the desire to win. Or the agony that can accompany losing. But no one wants to hear coaches complain. I wonder who you go to talk to when times get tough for you.

I have no idea (and I suspect you don’t either just yet) whether you will ever coach again. Just know that if you choose to do so, you’ll have one more fan from afar who will root for whatever team you coach. Because I will be rooting for you. Quality matters. Class matters. When one sees it, one should recognize it and applaud it. That sound you hear right now is me clapping.

Good luck and God speed.

An Appreciative Georgia Tech fan

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Dear Coach Johnson,

As I write this, Georgia Tech has just introduced its new Head Football Coach, Geoff Collins. I sincerely hope that his enthusiasm can be sustained and that he succeeds at Tech. But, I am not writing to you about that, I am writing for one simple reason.

I wanted to thank you.

I am simply a fan and all I know is what I see at a distance. But I try to observe how things are done, and I try to notice the details. I noticed not only what you accomplished at Georgia Tech, but (as much as one can form afar) I also noticed how you did things.

You have been a class act in every way, as far as I can see. I have watched other coaches stay in their current jobs and force their employer’s hand to fire them so they could walk away with their buyout. To the best of my knowledge, you did not do that. I noticed that you timed your decision and announcement in a way that would help GT in the current recruiting cycle.

Beyond that, I noticed that you graduated 85% of your players. I heard you speak of the two most emotional days you have had in coaching as the days when you spoke to your players at Navy and then again here at Tech to announce you were leaving. That speaks to bonds that matter.

You were a no-nonsense speaker. You told things like they were. Although, in retrospect, I believe you shielded the fan base from how bad things got under prior AD’s in terms of investment in the program and keeping up with the rest of the conference athletically. Many of us wonder if that disinterest extended beyond the indifferent AD’s to the Hill as well. But I know you are too much of a professional to speak out of school about such matters.

All in all, even though I had my days when I grumbled about our record (or even our offense) I wanted you to know that I genuinely appreciate the way you handled yourself and the professionalism and class you have demonstrated in everything you have done around Georgia Tech. There is at least one GT fan out there who wants to say “Thanks” as sincerely as I can for all you have given to Georgia Tech over the last 11 years.

We ask a lot of our coaches these days. I think you gave us all anyone could ever have asked for. You are competitive, and there is no doubt in my mind that you desired a better record than you achieved. No fan can match the intensity of a competitive coach in terms of the desire to win. Or the agony that can accompany losing. But no one wants to hear coaches complain. I wonder who you go to talk to when times get tough for you.

I have no idea (and I suspect you don’t either just yet) whether you will ever coach again. Just know that if you choose to do so, you’ll have one more fan from afar who will root for whatever team you coach. Because I will be rooting for you. Quality matters. Class matters. When one sees it, one should recognize it and applaud it. That sound you hear right now is me clapping.

Good luck and God speed.

An Appreciative Georgia Tech fan

Well done sir, you captured what a lot of us think about PJ!

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
Coach,
Thank you for being our coach. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the option during your career, both here and GSU. You are without a doubt one of the best football coaches ever. You are right in there with Erk and Dodd! I think you are the most competitive coach I have ever seen. We will miss you. Rest a while and get back in there. Come down and play golf with us at Forest Heights.

Bibb Stinger

Georgia Tech Fan
Many thanks and great memories Coach.
One of my favorite memories, that speaks to your straight talk and competitive spirit.
Coach Johnson's first year, came and spoke at the Macon Touchdown Club. During questions, a Tech fan meekly asked if Coach could comment on how long it would take his program to improve enough to beat ' that program across the state'.
Coach Johnson immediately stated: This year. We aren't afraid. They are a good team and well coached, but we will show up and compete."
Snickers across the room. UGA was preseason number 1 in the country with Stafford, A.J. Green and Moreno.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of my favorite memories of CPJ:

Sun Bowl. Rod Sweeting just won the MVP award. Rod was asked a question, and the first word out of his mouth was "Shi....)

Instead having a stern "we're gonna talk later, Rod" look, you can CPJ is in the background laughing his butt off, having a good time with other players. That's one of the things I'll always remember fondly about CPJ.