Coach Johnson expressed interest in Tennessee's vacancy in November

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So what offense would you like to see? Keep in mind the academic restrictions aren't changing we have in our entire history recruited exactly one 5 star in calvin johnson and he was only made a 5 star after the fact.

Don't you know that if we'd just go to a Pro Style offense that we'd be Top 25 year after year? :sneaky:

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
They took a different math but it was still calculus based.
I am pretty sure that the IM majors have always had to take at least one calculus course
As an IM in the early 90s I had to take 2 calculus classes required to graduate (got As in both), and since there were limited electives, I took calc 3 as an elective (and darn it, that was one of my 3 Bs). :0! It wasn't different math...I was in there with the "real" engineers. I just didn't have to take calc 4, magic math or diffeq. I did have to take 6 classes a quarter to graduate on time for my major.

Milwaukee

Banned
We put nearly 100% of WRs into the NFL who start 2 or more years for us

200w (26).gif

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand your first point of inquiry
In the 70s we only won 9 games once. 1970
The 80's once 1985
The 90s twice 1990-1998
The 2000s 2000-2009 4 times. 2000, 2006, 2008, 2009.
CPJ has done it 4 times
Competition I would argue was harder for CPJ.

Harder for CPJ than schedules that regularly included UF, UT. AU, UA. ND, CU, ugag?

Wow.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
As an IM in the early 90s I had to take 2 calculus classes required to graduate (got As in both), and since there were limited electives, I took calc 3 as an elective (and darn it, that was one of my 3 Bs). :0! It wasn't different math...I was in there with the "real" engineers. I just didn't have to take calc 4, magic math or diffeq. I did have to take 6 classes a quarter to graduate on time for my major.
I wasn't implying your math was easy, just it had a different catalog number than engineers. Either way still calculus and hard!

Milwaukee

Banned
It doesn't take calvin Johnson's, just kids that can catch, run routes, a QB that can really complete passes at 50+%. . You need kids that can be taught not to dive block. You need a offense that doesn't require OL to have to have PHD's to function in this offense. You need a couple of play makers that we've always gotten. Oh yeah a better defense. I seem to remember we've had those before Johnson got here.

This guy is trolling or just not bright.

giphy (50).gif

Deleted member 2897

Harder for CPJ than schedules that regularly included UF, UT. AU, UA. ND, CU, ugag?

Wow.

Um, of course.

georgia and Clemson were half the teams in the CFP last year. Had Miami beat Clemson in the ACCCC, they would have gone. Miami's recruiting class this year is 14 4-stars and 2 5-stars. Twice the Rivals points as us. They have something like 50 guys on their roster 4-star or better.

Right now in the 2018 pre-reason poll, Clemson is #2, georgia is #3, and Miami is #7. Same as most of 2017. How often were we playing 3 teams in the Top 10 back then? We're doing it every year now. We're playing 6 teams this year that won at least 8 games last year.

Winning 9 games is amazingly difficult. Even if we only lose to those Clemson, georgia, and Miami teams, that still means to win 9 we'd have to run the table @USF, @Louisville, @Virginia Tech...27 wins between the 3 of them last year. And we'd have to run the rest of the table too.

Wow.
Um I would say that playing a much improved Duke, UNC, and having to play Va Tech, Miami, Clemson etc is harder. Yea in the 70s we played Auburn, Tenn UGA, ND, But we also played a lot of weak sisters and back then Miami, Clemson, ad Florida St sucked. Florida....we never played them. We left the SEC in1967.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He also knows his clock is ticking with Stansbury so looking for a way out is just a good business decision I have no problem with.

I didn't listen to the latest Stansbury podcast, but I have never heard TS give any hint that he is dissatisfied with CPJ. In fact, I have heard him say that GT hasn't put enough resources behind CPJ and the football team. What leads you to believe that TS is not happy with CPJ?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't listen to the latest Stansbury podcast, but I have never heard TS give any hint that he is dissatisfied with CPJ. In fact, I have heard him say that GT hasn't put enough resources behind CPJ and the football team. What leads you to believe that TS is not happy with CPJ?
Nothing except TS is slowing removing CPJ' s excuses. Its always been we didn't have enough resources. Well thats now being addressed. Or recruitment personnel. Well now thats being addressed. Or I didn't have control over my DC. Well that's been addressed. IMO Stansbury has given him two years to succeed. He likes him and wants to give him the resources and has said as much, but interestingly, the one program where Stansbury came in and fired a coach is the most improved in the AA (though its still early).

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
If anyone is keeping a list mark me down as someone who likes CPJ. I like the offense but not crazy about it in the red zone.

I like the offense - I love that it is complicated and not the "hike the ball, count to 3 and pass it 4 yards" offense that bores me to tears. I liked it in the red zone when we had someone like Jordan who comes in on 3rd and 3 - we were pretty good at getting that kind of yardage in 2 downs. But .. well, we haven't done that recently.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Nothing except TS is slowing removing CPJ' s excuses. Its always been we didn't have enough resources. Well thats now being addressed. Or recruitment personnel. Well now thats being addressed. Or I didn't have control over my DC. Well that's been addressed. IMO Stansbury has given him two years to succeed. He likes him and wants to give him the resources and has said as much, but interestingly, the one program where Stansbury came in and fired a coach is the most improved in the AA (though its still early).

I take that as an extremely negative outlook. TS has said that GT has been behind the other schools in the ACC in staffing and support. It seems you take that as he will take the excuse away for the purpose of being able to fire him soon. I take that as the athletic department is trying to catch up to the other schools and is throwing support behind the football program. I take it as TS trying to fix the things that MBob screwed up.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Um I would say that playing a much improved Duke, UNC, and having to play Va Tech, Miami, Clemson etc is harder. Yea in the 70s we played Auburn, Tenn UGA, ND, But we also played a lot of weak sisters and back then Miami, Clemson, ad Florida St sucked. Florida....we never played them. We left the SEC in1967.

We never played UF?

WTH? Do you guys know anything about GT history?

We played UF in the 80s under Curry for starters.

We left the SEC after 63.

ND was much, much better back then. We also please layed USC at least twice.

I think too many here think college football started in 2005 or something.

CPJ us in no way playing a tougher schedule now than Carson, Rodgers or curry played.

Wow.
We didn't (still don't) play ND very often. Clemson was mostly terrible until Danny Ford got there. Auburn was up and down but not a real powerhouse for the most part. Hell, we went 16-2 against them from the late 30s till the mid 50s, with a 13 game winning streak during that period. It was only prior to the 40s and after 1968 that Auburn won more times than Tech did. Tech is 24-9-6 against UF all time; they didn't become a powerhouse of sorts until Spurrier got there, and we never played against him, except when he was their QB.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We never played UF?

WTH? Do you guys know anything about GT history?

We played UF in the 80s under Curry for starters.

We left the SEC after 63.

ND was much, much better back then. We also please layed USC at least twice.

I think too many here think college football started in 2005 or something.

CPJ us in no way playing a tougher schedule now than Carson, Rodgers or curry played.
It's hard to compare teams in 2017 vs teams from the 70's, team speed and size not the same.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I take that as an extremely negative outlook. TS has said that GT has been behind the other schools in the ACC in staffing and support. It seems you take that as he will take the excuse away for the purpose of being able to fire him soon. I take that as the athletic department is trying to catch up to the other schools and is throwing support behind the football program. I take it as TS trying to fix the things that MBob screwed up.
Sorry if it was mistaken on my tone. I agree with you that TS is righting some wrongs by some horrendous AD's, but I do think that CPJ has used these excuses for his failure to build a consistent winner after 10 years as a head coach