Coach Johnson expressed interest in Tennessee's vacancy in November

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting that he would reach out to them after the ad change here. Maybe reports of Johnson being happy with current leadership aren't correct...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I think it is good to know that CPJ isn’t just waiting around at GT for retirement. The interest in the Vols job tells me he still wants to coach and still wants an opportunity to win. His inquiry at UT was shortly before his contract extension at GT so maybe he was using the UT opening as leverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
... The interest in the Vols job tells me he still wants to coach and still wants an opportunity to win. His inquiry at UT was shortly before his contract extension at GT so maybe he was using the UT opening as leverage.

Following on to this...I think more than likely it was just Johnson's agent saying "hey Paul, since we're after an extension with GT, let's just send UT a feeler. Couldn't hurt...would only help us with the extension".

I don't think PJ initiated the idea.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think it is good to know that CPJ isn’t just waiting around at GT for retirement. The interest in the Vols job tells me he still wants to coach and still wants an opportunity to win. His inquiry at UT was shortly before his contract extension at GT so maybe he was using the UT opening as leverage.

Could have been. Also could be that his agent was reaching out to express interest. I'm guessing these guys often test the waters to see what opportunities are out there even if the coach didn't explicitly express interest. They are in fact compensated heavily when you change jobs...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of GT fans have an idealistic notion about CPJ. At the end of the day, this is a business, and he's a competitor. If another school gives him the best opportunity to win a national championship AND he can make more money, you better believe CPJ will take it. There's nothing wrong with that either. CPJ is going to do the best job he possibly can at GT, and I think he gives everything he has to GT...but I don't for a second think GT is is the end all for him. I don't even hold it against him.

On a side note, CPJ's attorney leaving a "paper" trail is WTF. If you have interest, you get your agent or rep to call...and don't leave a message if no one picks up. Otherwise, now people have proof and you get into situations like this where you look less than loyal to the school you're currently at.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Following on to this...I think more than likely it was just Johnson's agent saying "hey Paul, since we're after an extension with GT, let's just send UT a feeler. Couldn't hurt...would only help us with the extension".

I don't think PJ initiated the idea.

Was thinking the same thing... just a feeler.
You know what though, commitment goes both ways.

Why wouldn't an agent put out a call. But in the end, CPJ would never get the Tennessee job because he would not change his offense. Also in the end I don't think CPJ would want the Tennessee job. At Tech he at least would not be put under the scrutiny and forced to try to beat Bama every year.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I think a lot of GT fans have an idealistic notion about CPJ. At the end of the day, this is a business, and he's a competitor. If another school gives him the best opportunity to win a national championship AND he can make more money, you better believe CPJ will take it. There's nothing wrong with that either. CPJ is going to do the best job he possibly can at GT, and I think he gives everything he has to GT...but I don't for a second think GT is is the end all for him. I don't even hold it against him.

On a side note, CPJ's attorney leaving a "paper" trail is WTF. If you have interest, you get your agent or rep to call...and don't leave a message if no one picks up. Otherwise, now people have proof and you get into situations like this where you look less than loyal to the school you're currently at.
He is a business man and competitor, and it doesn't surprise me if he was interested in another job. It does surprise me that he'd be interested in an SEC team. He's stated on many occasions that the kids are different at GT, at Navy, etc., and he likes those to coach those types of kids. But you never know...sometimes I put feelers out on jobs I am not sure I'm interested in...just to see what might happen.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If he quit and went some where else would be like Christmas. We would owe him nothing and we could finally be rid of this cave man offense.

So what offense would you like to see? Keep in mind the academic restrictions aren't changing we have in our entire history recruited exactly one 5 star in calvin johnson and he was only made a 5 star after the fact.