Coach Johnson expressed interest in Tennessee's vacancy in November

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think we are going to bounce back in a big way this year. Offense will return to form and our new aggressive attitude will surprise some folks. IMO, getting rid of Roof and hiring of Woody was genius. CPJ has done the near impossible in some ways : kept us ( mostly ) competitive , AND significantly raised the graduation rate. No small feat at our school .......

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Do you watch the games?

If so, you'd probably realize if not for a couple injured/inconsistent kickers, we would have gone 8-3 last year.
If so, you'd probably realize that we lost our first 6 or 7 running backs in 2015 (among many other injuries). There were games where we were playing 15 freshmen.
If so, I'm guessing you're not upset about 11 wins and an Orange Bowl victory in 2014 or 9 wins and a Gator Bowl victory in 2016.
If so, I'm guessing you're not upset about the fact that in the last 50 years we've had 10 seasons of 9 or more wins, and Coach Paul Johnson is responsible for 4 of those. For those keeping score at home, during that period and prior to CPJ we were winning 9+ games at a rate of once every 8 years. Under CPJ we're winning 9+ games at a rate of once every 2.5 years.

Some interesting points that might beg some questions -

Prior to CPJ we were winning 9+ games once every 8 years against what teams? Compare 60s, 70s and 80s schedules and facilities Dodd left us with.

8-3 last year if not for kickers. Perhaps. But who was just as responsible for that as 2014 & 2016?

2015 playing 15 freshmen. Only one person responsible for the roster make up and not the only coach in history to have to deal with this situation.

I would not blame CPJ for the inquiry (I doubt an agent would do it without a clients knowledge), especially with the idiocy he has to deal with from elitists fans and idiots on the Hill,

And at the same time, I can understand some fans not caring any less given his overall record vs our best and most often played opponents, and for again having to hire another DC as if that is the only problem.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Agent acting alone or not, this seems to violate cpj's definition of "commitment" that he holds so dear.

Not really, his stance on commitment is " if your looking we are looking". He will stand by any offer they give unless someone else takes the spot before commitment. This happened while his extension was being negotiated that is the definition of " if your looking, I'm looking"

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

2015 playing 15 freshmen. Only one person responsible for the roster make up and not the only coach in history to have to deal with this situation.

Your right. the most recent one I can think of is Mark Dantonio. His team also went 3-9.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, I meant what I said. If you're a WR who started 2 or more years for us, you're on a list of about 8 or 9 guys in the last 10-12 years. And we've put about 7 WRs into the league. I don't remember the exact numbers anymore, but it was something like Calvin Johnson, Kevin Cone, Stephen Hill, Demaryius Thomas, Darren Waller, Deandre Smelter, and up next is Ricky Jeune, who will probably make it too. There's only like 1 or 2 guys who started more than 1 year who didn't make it.

So making the NFL is suddenly a reason to attend GT?

I do, however, know what you are saying. I think our WR have a “leg up” as regards the blocking aspect of the position.

Prior to CPJ we were winning 9+ games once every 8 years against what teams? Compare 60s, 70s and 80s schedules and facilities Dodd left us with.

8-3 last year if not for kickers. Perhaps. But who was just as responsible for that as 2014 & 2016?

I would not blame CPJ for the inquiry (I doubt an agent would do it without a clients knowledge), especially with the idiocy he has to deal with from elitists fans and idiots on the Hill,

And at the same time, I can understand some fans not caring any less given his overall record vs our best and most often played opponents, and for again having to hire another DC as if that is the only problem.

I don't understand your first point of inquiry
In the 70s we only won 9 games once. 1970
The 80's once 1985
The 90s twice 1990-1998
The 2000s 2000-2009 4 times. 2000, 2006, 2008, 2009.
CPJ has done it 4 times
Competition I would argue was harder for CPJ.

I always love bull**** comments like this. We get more yards and more points per possession than the vast majority of college football teams. We put nearly 100% of WRs into the NFL who start 2 or more years for us (and here comes Ricky Jeune to keep that streak alive).
Paul Johnson is a dropping stock. We are so far behind the big 3 in our conference and not catching them anytime soon. Points per this and that what was our recoed last year? That is what counts.

Deleted member 2897

Paul Johnson is a dropping stock. We are so far behind the big 3 in our conference and not catching them anytime soon. Points per this and that what was our recoed last year? That is what counts.

Blah blah blah blah. If we had a kicker, we would have been 8-3 last year and everybody would have been cheering about how optimistic they were going into 2018. And our offense and defense would have been the exact same as they were when we in fact went 5-6. Fans are shallow fickle people sometimes. "We are so far behind the big 3 in our conference" isn't changing anytime soon and also has nothing to do with our record or offense or stats.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
you can always tell who the newbie Tech fans are with comments about the offense. What kills me is when the reply is let's go back to the offense of Fridge. Well just go watch those games from 1998-2000, what was the base play.......the triple option. What formations did we use, the I, the wishbone, and the flex bone. Hmmm sounds a lot like what we do today.
Actually, you can go back to 1990. I didn't think much about it then, but looking back at the 1990 season under the Fridge, Tech actually ran a lot of option plays. Because of the pieces they had in place, it was more of a hybrid type of offense where they used a little pro-style, a little option, a little traditional SEC-style straight-ahead running attack. The difference between those days and today was twofold: slightly lower academic requirements and a larger recruiting area. The academic requirements weren't as stringent in those days (calculus not required for some degrees) and I believe you could get a waiver if a particular athlete was being courted to come to Tech. Another thing, the Tech brand was beginning to have broader exposure up the Eastern seaboard because of Bobby Cremins. When Bobby Ross/Ralph Friedgen and George O'Leary came aboard, they already had a good knowledge of the recruiting grounds in the mid-Atlantic and northern states and it was easier to make inroads in those areas. One other overlooked factor is the relationship Homer Rice had with Patrick Crecine. The AD and president had as much to do with the success Tech had in those days as the coaches. In fact, it was a perfect combination of factors that made it all work. It would be nearly impossible to run a pro-style offense or a Friedgen-style offense with the restrictions Tech has in place now. Barring unbelievable recruiting, Tech would sink to being like a Vanderbilt or a Kentucky-type football program.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Would it be different with someone else? I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't. Georgia State has more football analysts than we do......

So what offense would you like to see? Keep in mind the academic restrictions aren't changing we have in our entire history recruited exactly one 5 star in calvin johnson and he was only made a 5 star after the fact.
It doesn't take calvin Johnson's, just kids that can catch, run routes, a QB that can really complete passes at 50+%. . You need kids that can be taught not to dive block. You need a offense that doesn't require OL to have to have PHD's to function in this offense. You need a couple of play makers that we've always gotten. Oh yeah a better defense. I seem to remember we've had those before Johnson got here.