Coach Brian Gregory will not be retained as @GTMBB Coach

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I have a question , I'm a football guy not much on basketball. I don't know the players coming back next year. If your the AD how long do you give the new coach ? 2 years , 3 years , 4 years ,

I don't know either, but apparently in football it's more than 8 years, while in basketball it's 5. Under Peterson/Bobinski at least.

Under Homer Rice, neither Gregory nor Johnson would coach at GT, and we would not be having financial problems.

Reminds me of 1970. "Fire BUD!" Old guys know of what I speak.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also lol at @dtm1997 . Dude scoops everybody on every other job opening. Misses this one. :ROFLMAO:

Just messin' witcha, dtm. Guess you're stuck in traffic.

We had early dismissal at 2PM today. I stayed late until about 4:30PM just because I had a feeling something might happen. Finally decide to call it a day & head home. Got off the subway 15-20 minutes later, check my twitter feed once I had service again, and **** done blew up. I've been combing everywhere gathering data & thoughts the past 3 hours since. Still wrapping my head around it.

There are a lot of positives we can point to that BG accomplished and he's a great person, but his results tell the story & it's past time to move on. I appreciate his contributions and wish him well. Still think that St. Louis job is perfect for him and now he can go snag it.

Just gonna sit back a minute and soak it all in.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MBob will get this right. As I posted in another thread the other day, my sources said if the move is made it's because he is getting one of his top guys. Negotiations have been going on behind the scenes for a week. Give MBob some credit, he gets a bad wrap but has done some positive things. Example the payout we get for playing BC in Ireland

Sidenote - kudos to @BigDaddyBuzz because he crushed this. I'm hoping it's a quick process because we're gonna need feet on the street very soon with AAU season about to tip off.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
One interesting name I've heard from someone in the CBB circle is Mike Brown. I don't agree with the move and don't like it, but thought it should be mentioned here.

Whoever we hire, I think it's clear that a good staff needs to be put together, particularly one that can recruit this area. Cabral Huff or Sharman White would be fantastic hires by the TBD coach.

ETA: Speaking of Cabral Huff..

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man, I hope Goodman is wrong.

No kidding..would love to rub his nose in the Chris Mack stuff.

Love the rumor about it being a big name, and that it is apparently all but done. This will be interesting.

Definitely appreciate everything BG did while here, but it's good to have some fresh air around here

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Finally able to get as on a read. Heard the news while hauling a trailer so could not read and drive ;). Thanks to y'all for the information and insight.

Confident that MBob has at least one ready to reel in to coach at GT.

Forget any Duke boys and highly doubt Price bails on Charlotte after one year. Don't want to hear about Neal.

Expect to hear something within a week unless that CTBNL is still playing. JMO and a WAG too.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we have almost no shot with Marshall but that would be an insane hire if made.
Not saying he'll come, but I can give you some reasons he would think about it.

From the South (Greenwood, South Carolina)
Van Vleet and Baker are gone - those two will leave a huge mark on the program, just as he will
An opportunity to coach against and compete at the highest level, which must be burning for a guy of his skill

These aren't deal sealers, but certainly work in our favor. Maybe it's my optimism speaking, but I wouldn't count him out just yet.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wanna know why no to Jeff Capel?

Strong rumor is K doesn't allow the bitter fruit from his coaching tree to take ACC jobs. Brey is only ACC due to conference expansion. Also, generally K's assistants are awful as head men.

Mark Jackson would be awesome but we probably have a 0.0000001 chance of getting him

Seems word in NBA circles is that Jackson is a major dbag/fraud. Supposedly the reason he's not coaching now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Strong rumor is K doesn't allow the bitter fruit from his coaching tree to take ACC jobs. Brey is only ACC due to conference expansion. Also, generally K's assistants are awful as head men.

Seems word in NBA circles is that Jackson is a major dbag/fraud. Supposedly the reason he's not coaching now.

Fwiw, Bray is a good, imo, and def not awful.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Best of everything to CBG. He is definitely a Class Act and gentleman. Never heard him once complain about any of the circumstances he faced.

Thank You, Brian, for the 80% winning rate vs ugag. Doubt we will ever see that from another GT coach in a major sport.

But time marches on - and on several fronts.

MBob - if he does not already have a very strong idea of who he can hire as the next coach it is a major fail. Hate to bring him into the conversation, but it is obvious mcgarity knew he wanted Smartazz, and that he had him "signed" up long before richt was fired. This is what I am expecting of MBob. And given all the circumstances of buyouts, etc. it is even more imperative that this be the case. If not, we are well on our way into a pit that we probably will never get out of.

Name Hire - if it is not then we just had another uncontrollable bowel movement. Hiring someone because they played at GT (someone nobody else is trying to hire) could be the last nail in our self made coffin. We should have learned this lesson long ago - in 1967. Lord please let the insanity stop.

RECRUITER - #1 priority. Follow some of the teachings of the DurhamRatFace.

If $ becomes a problem get rid of that dead weight Sewak and let BB use those funds. Can not hurt.