Coach Brian Gregory will not be retained as @GTMBB Coach

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Convince Shaq to recruit and coach home games. Bring in an experienced assistant for away games....

In all seriousness I don't know if I have a specific name but recruiting seems to be what gregory couldn't do and team cohesiveness and ncaa standing is what hewitt couldn't do.

The key is to get some good atlanta recruiters on board with whomever the coach is. I think the coach needs to lean on any local GT talent willing to help (Dennis Scott for one)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Best of everything to CBG. He is definitely a Class Act and gentleman. Never heard him once complain about any of the circumstances he faced.

Thank You, Brian, for the 80% winning rate vs ugag. Doubt we will ever see that from another GT coach in a major sport.

But time marches on - and on several fronts.

MBob - if he does not already have a very strong idea of who he can hire as the next coach it is a major fail. Hate to bring him into the conversation, but it is obvious mcgarity knew he wanted Smartazz, and that he had him "signed" up long before richt was fired. This is what I am expecting of MBob. And given all the circumstances of buyouts, etc. it is even more imperative that this be the case. If not, we are well on our way into a pit that we probably will never get out of.

Name Hire - if it is not then we just had another uncontrollable bowel movement. Hiring someone because they played at GT (someone nobody else is trying to hire) could be the last nail in our self made coffin. We should have learned this lesson long ago - in 1967. Lord please let the insanity stop.

RECRUITER - #1 priority. Follow some of the teachings of the DurhamRatFace.

If $ becomes a problem get rid of that dead weight Sewak and let BB use those funds. Can not hurt.
Which former GT player was hired by Tech. in 1967?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Which former GT player was hired by Tech. in 1967?

There are still many that have not learned we do not have to hire a former GT player or coach.

If you really have such little knowledge of GT - in 67 Dodd was forced to hire bud Carson (instead of Dodd's much better choice Doug Dickey) because Carson had coached at GT. Major fail.

If your knowledge is still lacking, after that we "had" to hire Bill Fulcher (former GT player / coach) instead of, according to many, a young Johnny Majors who was a much better choice. Major fail.

After Pepper got the recruiting knock against him, we had to hire another "tech man" - bill curry. Instead of getting one of the greatest college coaches ever in Steve Spurrier. Major fail.

We had to hire a former GT coach after Whack retired - Dwayne Morrison instead of, well, somebody / anybody with a pulse. After all he had coached at GT before and that was all that mattered.

Hopefully you were trying to be sarcastic and you really know more about GT athletics than your "post" would indicate.

Doesn't matter.

Happy Easter

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are still many that have not learned we do not have to hire a former GT player or coach.

If you really have such little knowledge of GT - in 67 Dodd was forced to hire bud Carson (instead of Dodd's much better choice Doug Dickey) because Carson had coached at GT. Major fail.

If your knowledge is still lacking, after that we "had" to hire Bill Fulcher (former GT player / coach) instead of, according to many, a young Johnny Majors who was a much better choice. Major fail.

After Pepper got the recruiting knock against him, we had to hire another "tech man" - bill curry. Instead of getting one of the greatest college coaches ever in Steve Spurrier. Major fail.

We had to hire a former GT coach after Whack retired - Dwayne Morrison instead of, well, somebody / anybody with a pulse. After all he had coached at GT before and that was all that mattered.

Hopefully you were trying to be sarcastic and you really know more about GT athletics than your "post" would indicate.

Doesn't matter.

Happy Easter
Speaking of lack of knowledge, Bud Carson did not play at Tech. He played for UNC. Johnny Majors was not under consideration in 1972. And, at the time of Curry's hire, Spurrier was lacking the moniker of one of the greatest of all time as his college coaching experience consisted of one year as QB coach at Tech. I liked Steve, but If you're talking resume at that time, then Glanville should've been chosen.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of lack of knowledge, Bud Carson did not play at Tech. He played for UNC. Johnny Majors was not under consideration in 1972. And, at the time of Curry's hire, Spurrier was lacking the moniker of one of the greatest of all time as his college coaching experience consisted of one year as QB coach at Tech. I liked Steve, but If you're talking resume at that time, then Glanville should've been chosen.
Glanville would have been a heck of a college coach. Those that played under him have the upmost respect for him to this day.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Get him!

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
After looking at some current salaries. Chris Mack makes the most sense. He's only making 1.1 M this year at Xavier. Compared to Marshall who is supposedly making 3.3 M.

We could easily give Mack closer to 2M somewhere in the 1.5. - 1.8 M range and he would be getting a raise and a chance to go against the big boys in the ACC.

With all of this NCAA money the ACC is getting, can't we go ahead and pay the off the contracts of Gregory and Hewitt??

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The fact we have less talent than South Carolina is disgusting

He was saying we have less talent than Clemson, but were able to beat the hell out of South Carolina.

Interesting to claim we have less talent than Clemson when we beat them 2 out of 3 times...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Doesn't matter.

Happy Easter

This is my only post on CBG being fired. I'm sad that it didn't work out. But if we want to win more, we need a change. I met CBG five years ago and that one meeting reinforced the public persona we see. He is a great guy and believes in GT.

I agree with your post for football where we have had poor results for coaches who either went to GT or were promoted from within (Carson* was a DC under Dodd before becoming HC). We haven't gone back to GT players in baseball since Luck "started" the program but have only had two coaches. Basketball I don't think any have been former GT players or asst coaches have they?

Regardless of our success in football coaching changes, I would still rather see a GT player / asst coach get the job.

That is an irrational point of view on my part. The emotional part that out weighs my rational part is that the entire reason I follow GT sports vice professional sports is bases on the association of players with the institute. Professional sports has become largely a means of financially optimizing the best group of players who have no long term allegiances. I could care less who wins.

(*Trivia ....... In 1970 the GT Band began playing the Budweiser tune after the end of the 3rd quarter. In tribute to the then head coach the words were actually sung as, "When you say Bud Carson, you've said it all!)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think that given the number of openings in college basketball this year, we may have done CBG a service by making the decision now. Hopefully he lands something that is good for him and his family.

I thank him for his tenure, even though his on court record was poor, he did wonders off the court, and that does count for something.

I remain skeptical about MBob. I know he is supposed to be a basketball guy, but his one move a couple of years ago with Gregory did not impress me (and wound up costing GT $$). Let's all hope I'm wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think that given the number of openings in college basketball this year, we may have done CBG a service by making the decision now. Hopefully he lands something that is good for him and his family.

I thank him for his tenure, even though his on court record was poor, he did wonders off the court, and that does count for something.

I remain skeptical about MBob. I know he is supposed to be a basketball guy, but his one move a couple of years ago with Gregory did not impress me (and wound up costing GT $$). Let's all hope I'm wrong.

Maybe MBob is good with bball coaches (as evidenced by his hires at Xavier), just terrible with business (CBG extension as you mentioned). I know one thing, and I wrote this in another thread, any contract negotiations needs to be done by a 3rd party. GT is its own worst enemy when it comes to coaching contracts.

He didn't say that Carson had PLAYED at Tech; he said that he had COACHED at Tech.

Maybe MBob is good with bball coaches (as evidenced by his hires at Xavier), just terrible with business (CBG extension as you mentioned). I know one thing, and I wrote this in another thread, any contract negotiations needs to be done by a 3rd party. GT is its own worst enemy when it comes to coaching contracts.
Actually, I think granting an extension is more or less par for the course when retaining a coach. Not to grant one tells recruits (or possible recruits) that the coach's job is not secure and may well not be around when a kid comes. Few of us liked the fact that MBob gave BG that extension, but I imagine every other school in the country would have done the same thing. Also not giving an extension tells the coach that his job is not secure, which in BG's case would probably have been a good thing. Regardless, don't blame MBob for doing the same thing everybody else does.

Doesn't matter.

Happy Easter
Although I agree with your argument that we should not hire a former Tech player, I would differ with you on one count. I personally think that Fulcher could have been the perfect Tech coach to follow Dodd. Unfortunately, because of a totally screwed up wife, his life outside coaching was a mess, and it was his downfall as a coach. Remember, he wasn't fired; he resigned. Otherwise though, I totally agree about Carson, who was perhaps the worst hire, but may also have been the worst firing, since he had finally turned it around and always had stellar defenses. I also totally agree about Pepper and Curry, both total wastes. I think timing was more the problem with Spurrier though, since he had only been at Duke one year when we fired Pepper. Sure would have loved to have him though.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Although I agree with your argument that we should not hire a former Tech player, I would differ with you on one count. I personally think that Fulcher could have been the perfect Tech coach to follow Dodd. Unfortunately, because of a totally screwed up wife, his life outside coaching was a mess, and it was his downfall as a coach. Remember, he wasn't fired; he resigned. Otherwise though, I totally agree about Carson, who was perhaps the worst hire, but may also have been the worst firing, since he had finally turned it around and always had stellar defenses. I also totally agree about Pepper and Curry, both total wastes. I think timing was more the problem with Spurrier though, since he had only been at Duke one year when we fired Pepper. Sure would have loved to have him though.

You were doing fine until you got to Pepper and Curry. The program was in awful shape in 1975 (thanks, AD Dodd). Pepper was successful at UCLA, and hiring him to GT appeared to be a coup.

The criticism of Curry among GT folks is wrong, and wrong. GT had the worst facilities in 1-A (thanks, AD Dodd) and was literally recruiting at a 1-AA level in 1979. Susan Phinney was the de facto recruiting coordinator and an Auburn grad. She got tips from Auburn about recruits they didn't want.

In 1980, Curry took a job no one wanted. Spurrier wasn't at Duke. His entire experience was as Pepper's QB coach. Very much hindsight to say he should have been hired.

Curry took over a very miserable situation in 1980, and by 1985 won the All America Bowl and came up one game short of the Bluebonnet bowl in 1986, There weren't as many bowls in those days, and bowls meant something. Curry's turn around of GT, both athletically and character-wise (with help from Homer), is why he was chosen at Alabama in 1980 by a President trying to upgrade Bama's image.

I agree with the point of the thread--GT on the resume should not mean anything. Clough was a GT grad, and his hiring of Braine is what started this mess.

You were doing fine until you got to Pepper and Curry. The program was in awful shape in 1975 (thanks, AD Dodd). Pepper was successful at UCLA, and hiring him to GT appeared to be a coup.

The criticism of Curry among GT folks is wrong, and wrong. GT had the worst facilities in 1-A (thanks, AD Dodd) and was literally recruiting at a 1-AA level in 1979. Susan Phinney was the de facto recruiting coordinator and an Auburn grad. She got tips from Auburn about recruits they didn't want.

In 1980, Curry took a job no one wanted. Spurrier wasn't at Duke. His entire experience was as Pepper's QB coach. Very much hindsight to say he should have been hired.

Curry took over a very miserable situation in 1980, and by 1985 won the All America Bowl and came up one game short of the Bluebonnet bowl in 1986, There weren't as many bowls in those days, and bowls meant something. Curry's turn around of GT, both athletically and character-wise (with help from Homer), is why he was chosen at Alabama in 1980 by a President trying to upgrade Bama's image.

I agree with the point of the thread--GT on the resume should not mean anything. Clough was a GT grad, and his hiring of Braine is what started this mess.
Homer improved the facilities at Tech; Curry didn't. We will just have to agree to disagree on Curry. I hated when we hired him, and I still have no use for him. I had my dates wrong on Spurrier; he was hired at Duke in 1985, and Curry left Tech after the 1986 season. If I remember right, Spurrier was already pissed at Tech for passing him over after Pepper, so he probably wasn't even interested in Tech when Curry left. We should have tried to get him when we fired Pepper. You are right that hiring Pepper SHOULD have been a coup, but he let his personality get in the way of his coaching ability.
BTW, I agree that Dodd as AD was a total disaster.