Coach Brian Gregory will not be retained as @GTMBB Coach

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The rest of the former Duke players as coaches (including Capel) have not faired (fared?) well.

Capel is a no for me as well

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First, wish CBG well. Outside of failing to get us back to the top 8 of the ACC, and not making the NCAA in 5 years, he has had an impact on the off the court side of our program. That's not something small. Great representative for GT, and class act. Hope he finds another HC job somewhere.

That said, time to turn the page. As some have mentioned, GT is a VERY good job for someone with confidence and ability to recruit. Lots of ACC and SEC coaches looking at what's going on here at GT because a good recruiter makes their life more difficult with the top tier talent we have in GA. One good class can make us a VERY good team quick.

Something tells me MBob doesn't make this move without something in his back pocket. At least, that's what I'm hoping. You don't pay CBG to not coach, and give someone else competitive $$$ to take this job only to have another CBG on the sidelines. Otherwise, you just keep CBG one more year and let the buyout $$$ shrink.

This decision will could wipe the missteps of the last few years from memory if he makes the right call. Or it could cost him his job. All eyes on MBob now.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
No, he ran the team in the ground. Look at his conference record and try to tell me otherwise.

You make an excellent point sir, but let me explain why I think he has left the team in better shape than he found it:

1. We were on NCAA probation thanks to Hewitt's leadership. CBG avoided further violations, and we are now in the clear.
2. Our Academic Progress Rate was awful. Now we have a near perfect score thanks to CBG.
3. Our team had zero off-court discipline (Glen Rice Jr for example). Apart from Bolden/Poole, our BBall players have stayed out of trouble and reflected well on GT.
4. We had a HUGE financial millstone around our neck when CBG got here thanks to the Hewitt buyout. The literal purpose of hiring CBG was to pluck a coach from the bargain bin and let him resolve these problems while we pay Hewitt off. Then once both of those things were completed, we could part ways and have the funds to hire an elite coach.

Yes, his record is indeed terrible, but please keep in mind that he was the lowest/2nd lowest paid coach in the ACC. I believe CBG did what we needed him to do, and I am very appreciative of him. That being said, I think we have finally arrived at Step 4, and it is time to hire the elite level coach.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Gregg, Brad, Chris, etc...

It's a good time for you to decide to come to Tech:

- Tech has great new facilities
- Strong in-state talent in the next few classes who are eager to play for you!
- Those big name ACC coaches (maybe all of them?) will retire in the coming years, so if you get momentum you can build a dynasty
-Proven history with an AD who gets basketball

/

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have a question , I'm a football guy not much on basketball. I don't know the players coming back next year. If your the AD how long do you give the new coach ? 2 years , 3 years , 4 years ,

I have a question , I'm a football guy not much on basketball. I don't know the players coming back next year. If your the AD how long do you give the new coach ? 2 years , 3 years , 4 years ,
Same as in football --- you DON'T, even theoretically, say that a coach has so many years to right the ship. You enthusiastically support him until he either meets the expectations or does not. If you hire someone with some kind of preconceived idea of how long he has to do it, then you're not going to get a very good coach, regardless of the sport.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
At least 4 years but I do think a basketball program can be turned around a little quicker than football. Freshmen can make an immediate impact in basketball.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
About time we move on from that failure.

Anyways, most excited I've been about the program in over 5 years. Will be real interested to see who we pick up.