Coach Brian Gregory will not be retained as @GTMBB Coach

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think granting an extension is more or less par for the course when retaining a coach. Not to grant one tells recruits (or possible recruits) that the coach's job is not secure and may well not be around when a kid comes. Few of us liked the fact that MBob gave BG that extension, but I imagine every other school in the country would have done the same thing. Also not giving an extension tells the coach that his job is not secure, which in BG's case would probably have been a good thing. Regardless, don't blame MBob for doing the same thing everybody else does.

I don't think people had a problem with the extension per se, it was the fact that we also upped his buyout when we gave him the extension. That was the ridiculous part.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
He didn't say that Carson had PLAYED at Tech; he said that he had COACHED at Tech.
How would you interpret this sentence? "Hiring someone because they played at GT (someone nobody else is trying to hire) could be the last nail in our self made coffin. We should have learned this lesson long ago - in 1967. Lord please let the insanity stop."

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Although I agree with your argument that we should not hire a former Tech player, I would differ with you on one count. I personally think that Fulcher could have been the perfect Tech coach to follow Dodd. Unfortunately, because of a totally screwed up wife, his life outside coaching was a mess, and it was his downfall as a coach. Remember, he wasn't fired; he resigned. Otherwise though, I totally agree about Carson, who was perhaps the worst hire, but may also have been the worst firing, since he had finally turned it around and always had stellar defenses. I also totally agree about Pepper and Curry, both total wastes. I think timing was more the problem with Spurrier though, since he had only been at Duke one year when we fired Pepper. Sure would have loved to have him though.
Spurrier was an assistant under Pepper when Pepper was fired.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Spurrier was so pissed at Tech for passing him over when Curry was hired, he swore he'd never lose to us. It's my recollection that we lost 3 straight to duke from 87 to 89. Pepper did a good job picking coaches. Spurrier as his OC and Glanville as his DC. It still amazes me we weren't more successful.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you really have such little knowledge of GT - in 67 Dodd was forced to hire bud Carson (instead of Dodd's much better choice Doug Dickey) because Carson had coached at GT.
Is that true? I guess I don't history either. I thought Dodd liked Carson and advocated for him to be the choice. But if it is the case that he wanted Dickey, that is not very impressive either. Dickey would have floundered at Tech. Tennessee was a much better place for him.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
As I recall Curry was named head coach and Spurrier was part of the existing staff and asked Curry what his plans were for him. Curry replied that he considered him a candidate for OC along with a couple more coaches. Spurrier was immediately gone saying that he would not allow Curry to determine is future in coaching.

This is per Spurrier as written in the ajc as I recall the article.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Makes me wonder who did want him then. Because the papers were filled at that time with stories of board members being quoted on condition of anonymity that "no one wanted him" because he was (1) a Yankee and (2) Not a "Tech" man.

They certainly made his life hell the whole time he was at Tech.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As I recall Curry was named head coach and Spurrier was part of the existing staff and asked Curry what his plans were for him. Curry replied that he considered him a candidate for OC along with a couple more coaches. Spurrier was immediately gone saying that he would not allow Curry to determine is future in coaching.

This is per Spurrier as written in the ajc as I recall the article.
And thus Spurrier became another in a long list of coaches who did not succeed while at Tech but who thrived elsewhere.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Again, as I recall the ajc articles, Dodd hired Carson as DC with the promise that Carson would be head coach in waiting. And that happened.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Makes me wonder who did want him then. Because the papers were filled at that time with stories of board members being quoted on condition of anonymity that "no one wanted him" because he was (1) a Yankee and (2) Not a "Tech" man.

They certainly made his life hell the whole time he was at Tech.
Tech's president made the hire.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree with the author about our expectations. We aren't asking for elite 8's yearly. We do, however, find it ridiculous that we have been outrecruited lately by Clemson, Virginia tech, etc *in basketball*, not football.

Milwaukee

Banned
We're off track now. Let's get this thread back to BG and Tech hoops, thanks.

But at least it was good rambling. I just now found myself reading the posts in this thread and I completely forgot that it was a hoops thread. It was actually great info on the 70s and 80s coaching info for us that weren't born yet.

:)