Coach’s radio show

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
The constant comparing of talent to the talent of CPJ’s 1st year is simply unconvincing. It is unquestioned we have talent light years ahead of the Citadel. Geoff got embarrassed and severely outcoached Saturday.

Defense is his thing. He was completely ill prepared for the triple option. He has been very prepared for what we normally see, and that is the spread similar to what we (are trying to) run. The only excuse is that had so little respect for the previous offensive system, the just thought by showing up they’d run them out of stadium. I do think he will be better prepared on defense the rest of the season.

Now offense is a different story. I find it humorous people arguing that the talent the previous coaching staff was sufficient to put up huge rushing numbers, but this coaching staff can’t do squat with. So what YOU are saying is the previous offense that you want to get rid of is so superior to this offense, that you want to keep, they get much more out of the talent than this staff. That just proves the point that CPJ’s offense is simple better. But, he’s not here on his own choice. The simple fact is we have much, much better talent than the citadel and we still could only score 24 points. I just don’t understand how anyone can defend that. That performance deserves a response. Whether it be firing the coordinator, benching the quarterback or something. The frustrating thing is everyone can see one quarterback not moving the team and two others having success. Do they have a different oline when they are in the game. Does the oline say, hey I’m gonna block better for these two than that one. The ATL stuff is fine, but as another poster pointed out there a a lot of other position where there are multiple people ATL, but the non-starters don’t get to play. Constantly playing underperforming QBs will tear a team apart. Ask B*** L**** and Tom luginbill.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Walk-on DT Sean Bedford and TE Austin Barrick were starters. Gardner and Claytor battled injuries.

My point was that we were really shallow behind the starters and our starters included a walkon and a light TE.

But if u remember paul put a guy like barrick at tackle because he wanted a smaller guy there to scoop and get to the second level. That was less out of need and more out of body type. Iirc didnt gardner make it to the nfl and play almost every game in 2008 or was that 09? We have no nfl caliber on this line not close. Also same thing with voss. He was a plugger center and paul wanted a smaller quick guy and bedford fit that mold. Its HOW different the guys are between these systems. Its drastic. Paul johnson also had cordaro howard at guard. Another nfl lineman.

Iirc in 2008. Cpj had TWO nfl lineman on his ol. Its a joke to compare. And i dont know why we are

Collins was left a far worse team in talent than paul. Its just true. Anyone can see it. We had 4 nfl players on offense in 2008. And a few on d

Its no different than paul pulling glennons offer for qb. And collins pulling the ol offers essentially too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
But if u remember paul put a guy like barrick at tackle because he wanted a smaller guy there to scoop and get to the second level. That was less out of need and more out of body type. Iirc didnt gardner make it to the nfl and play almost every game in 2008 or was that 09? We have no nfl caliber on this line not close. Also same thing with voss. He was a plugger center and paul wanted a smaller quick guy and bedford fit that mold. Its HOW different the guys are between these systems. Its drastic. Paul johnson also had cordaro howard at guard. Another nfl lineman.

Iirc in 2008. Cpj had TWO nfl lineman on his ol. Its a joke to compare. And i dont know why we are

Collins was left a far worse team in talent than paul. Its just true. Anyone can see it. We had 4 nfl players on offense in 2008. And a few on d

Its no different than paul pulling glennons offer for qb. And collins pulling the ol offers essentially too.

You didn't really respond to my point about depth. Yes, I agree that the Paul had to supplement an OL that was recruited for a different style of offense.

Also, we're talking about a game against the Citadel.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Our All-ACC selections have been pretty non-existent the past few years too. I feel like this team has decent talent in places (WR, RB, DB) but very deficient on both lines where it counts, I’d love to see how the avg. OL and QB star ratings on our team compare to everyone else in the ACC and the NCAA, i think it might be an eye opener.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Our All-ACC selections have been pretty non-existent the past few years too. I feel like this team has decent talent in places (WR, RB, DB) but very deficient on both lines where it counts, I’d love to see how the avg. OL and QB star ratings on our team compare to everyone else in the ACC and the NCAA, i think it might be an eye opener.

Think of it this way... how many of our guys would start for our ACC opponents? Especially at key positions like OL and QB? I say this in recognition of the rebuild. There is still no excuse to lose to the Citadel.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps my favorite read on this subject.

Does this clown show look like GT football? No. Plain and simple.

I could go on and on ... but this doesn’t look like GT football and both Butch Collins and TStan seem to be either tone deaf or clueless.

What looks like GT football? I presume the penalties (which are a one game aberration until proven otherwise) and offensive ineptitude (which are partially a function of personnel and transition) are going to be addressed straightaway, as nobody likes losing. But do you guys really think the right course of action is for CGC to abandon everything he is trying to do in terms of marketing and branding and turn a complete 180 because of one bad loss? Gosh, that is the one thing that really would make him look like the fake salesmen ya'll are claiming him to be. If he believes in the culture he is trying to build, he needs to double down on it. You can clean up the stuff you don't like without throwing the whole thing out.

I don't get the assumption that Saturday is predicative of Collins' whole future tenure here. Sample size, folks. Would you judge any coach by his worst game? The "wait and see" crowd never intended to wait and see after all. Their minds were made up from the start and unfortunately, this loss gave them the opportunity to pounce.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
What looks like GT football? I presume the penalties (which are a one game aberration until proven otherwise) and offensive ineptitude (which are partially a function of personnel and transition) are going to be addressed straightaway, as nobody likes losing. But do you guys really think the right course of action is for CGC to abandon everything he is trying to do in terms of marketing and branding and turn a complete 180 because of one bad loss? Gosh, that is the one thing that really would make him look like the fake salesmen ya'll are claiming him to be. If he believes in the culture he is trying to build, he needs to double down on it. You can clean up the stuff you don't like without throwing the whole thing out.

I don't get the assumption that Saturday is predicative of Collins' whole future tenure here. Sample size, folks. Would you judge any coach by his worst game? The "wait and see" crowd never intended to wait and see after all. Their minds were made up from the start and unfortunately, this loss gave them the opportunity to pounce.

I’m starting to sound like a broken record, and I don’t like that, but I’ll answer this question in my own opinion.

Look...I really don’t mind the branding, the excitement on field, the “culture”, etc as long as it’s done correctly. But I do not think it’s done correctly when, as I myself am getting tired of hearing me say (so I know some of you are as well), we are acting like fools/thugs/what have you when we are getting our butts handed to us by a team that even our VERY low expectation team was supposed to run out of the stadium. And having been to all of our games so far, I see what I feel is we are getting “worse”/more idiotic in that area. At some point (IMO), when you are getting embarrassed/not living up to potential, or even your own mouth, you stop talking and dancing, and you start “doing”. I also feel like, as a team, we’ve had progressively worse performances as the short season has moved on. I think we played our best game/best effort against Clemson.

The hype and excitement that coach is trying to create is welcomed...to a point. But right now (and even after the USF gift of a win) is probably the best time to keep it a little more internal. If we keep dancing around like world beaters when we can’t beat our own practice squad, we (IMO) look like clowns.

I’m die hard Tech through and through. I attended Tech, and I’m even one of the ones that got “weeded out” and transferred in my junior year to finish my degree elsewhere. And I still love this school, our teams, and don’t even acknowledge the school that’s actually on my diploma. I’m Tech...that’s what I grew up watching, games I came to with my dad, and the school I chose and wish my degree was from. I’ll watch and support us through anything, even the B*** L**** years.

And I liked the hype. I bought into it in the off season and with CGC hire. It got me to buy season tickets and come back to BDS for the first time in at least 7-8 years. So I was impressed with what Collins was saying. I LITERALLY bought into it.

But (again, MY opinion)...stop with the clown show. Tone it down. As a player you CAN be excited for your teammates and pep them up without looking like total fools on national tv. I’ve already heard from Clemson fan friends, Auburn, Alabama, and even UGA fan friends questions about why are are dancing so much when we haven’t been any good this year? Again, I don’t personally care what they think of us, but at the same time, it does appear quite undisciplined and downright childish to be doing any of that, given what product we’ve put on the field thus far. And never, ever, ever when you are getting drilled by an FCS school.

I will always be behind Tech no matter what coach is here, and I’ll still be stocking Tech items for sale in my storefront just 15 minutes outside of Athens where I know we will get outsold 10 to 1, but I can’t keep watching this all buzz, no sting crap going on. The thuggishness/clown show stuff could be toned down until results of this rebuild show up in on field performance. Until that, he just appears to be a ring leader of a traveling clown show.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m starting to sound like a broken record, and I don’t like that, but I’ll answer this question in my own opinion.

Look...I really don’t mind the branding, the excitement on field, the “culture”, etc as long as it’s done correctly. But I do not think it’s done correctly when, as I myself am getting tired of hearing me say (so I know some of you are as well), we are acting like fools/thugs/what have you when we are getting our butts handed to us by a team that even our VERY low expectation team was supposed to run out of the stadium. And having been to all of our games so far, I see what I feel is we are getting “worse”/more idiotic in that area. At some point (IMO), when you are getting embarrassed/not living up to potential, or even your own mouth, you stop talking and dancing, and you start “doing”. I also feel like, as a team, we’ve had progressively worse performances as the short season has moved on. I think we played our best game/best effort against Clemson.

The hype and excitement that coach is trying to create is welcomed...to a point. But right now (and even after the USF gift of a win) is probably the best time to keep it a little more internal. If we keep dancing around like world beaters when we can’t beat our own practice squad, we (IMO) look like clowns.

I’m die hard Tech through and through. I attended Tech, and I’m even one of the ones that got “weeded out” and transferred in my junior year to finish my degree elsewhere. And I still love this school, our teams, and don’t even acknowledge the school that’s actually on my diploma. I’m Tech...that’s what I grew up watching, games I came to with my dad, and the school I chose and wish my degree was from. I’ll watch and support us through anything, even the B*** L**** years.

And I liked the hype. I bought into it in the off season and with CGC hire. It got me to buy season tickets and come back to BDS for the first time in at least 7-8 years. So I was impressed with what Collins was saying. I LITERALLY bought into it.

But (again, MY opinion)...stop with the clown show. Tone it down. As a player you CAN be excited for your teammates and pep them up without looking like total fools on national tv. I’ve already heard from Clemson fan friends, Auburn, Alabama, and even UGA fan friends questions about why are are dancing so much when we haven’t been any good this year? Again, I don’t personally care what they think of us, but at the same time, it does appear quite undisciplined and downright childish to be doing any of that, given what product we’ve put on the field thus far. And never, ever, ever when you are getting drilled by an FCS school.

I will always be behind Tech no matter what coach is here, and I’ll still be stocking Tech items for sale in my storefront just 15 minutes outside of Athens where I know we will get outsold 10 to 1, but I can’t keep watching this all buzz, no sting crap going on. The thuggishness/clown show stuff could be toned down until results of this rebuild show up in on field performance. Until that, he just appears to be a ring leader of a traveling clown show.

I can't really add to this as it captures a lot my thoughts.

What is GT Football? That is exactly the problem. It's a 2-QB dance party that loses to FCS schools. That is not a product that people will take seriously.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And even with all those guys the vastly more talented defense carried us until November.

Here’s the points allowed through October:

Even the hated Patenaude would’ve won at least 6 during that stretch.
Are u saying that we are allowed to have a good defense?
But based on gtswsrm , i thought that offense was of the only important thing.
Seems like a novel idea - a good defense.
Since now there is a lot more passing , ( If cgc knows what he is doing ) a coach would be recruiting and getting defensive backs to transfer. He should play a defense like u see in nfl - not much bend and break and a lot of 8 men in box. He should tell recruits that he will do the best he can to assist the position coach. Also he should toot his own horn about db players he has helped to nfl . Perhaps he should put in blitz package for use in passing down- 1 dl men 2 lb and 8 safeties/db- and blitz up to 6 db who run around the ol and get to qb, harras him, or run him down.
Perhaps , even in a crap few games, we could get a db to be named to acc player of the week?

Since he is doing these things on defense, could it be he is more of a fefensive coach??
Kistening to him , i say yes and when he gets it he will get a stsr recruit qb and wr .

In a few years i hope you are posting the names of db s and the good results,

Last edited:

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Think of it this way... how many of our guys would start for our ACC opponents? Especially at key positions like OL and QB? I say this in recognition of the rebuild. There is still no excuse to lose to the Citadel.

And that will be a very reasonable argument when we lose the rest of our games this season. Unfortunately, it just doesn't help mitigate the brutality of this loss...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I don't think your take is totally unreasonable, but what I've bolded here, I just don't think it's true. It seems like you kinda do care what they think of us. Fact is, they have been laughing at us for years (when they cared enough to mention us at all) just for different reasons, be it the old "high school" offense insult or whatever else. And they will continue to laugh at us until we win. The juice crew is wayyy down on my list of concerns right now. As a fanbase, we are going to have to toughen up to take the slings and arrows these first couple of years. Collins was tasked with making GT football relevant in the landscape of college football, rather than just quietly winning 6 or 7 games a year. Whether we jump around on the sidelines or not, there is really no place to hide. We opened against the defending champs and we'll play in MBS next year. At some point, the results are going to have to match the hype, but very few people expect them to right now. The first step was to get people to take notice, the second step is to recruit, and the third step is to win. Maybe some don't like the order of those events, but that is the vision of the AD and Head Coach. Skepticism about play calling and utilization of talent is totally understandable, but I think calling our own coach a clown really doesn't help us at all. A fair number of Clemson fans who did the same to Dabo in his early years probably feel a bit silly now.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Some folks seem to have forgotten that CPJ’s 2014 GT team far exceeded his first 2008 GT team. CPJ did well with CCG’s recruits in 2008, and even better with his own recruits in 2014.

Folks also seem to have forgotten that the better GT coaches that came after Dodd (Ross, O’Leary, and CPJ) had losing seasons along with their winning seasons.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
The constant comparing of talent to the talent of CPJ’s 1st year is simply unconvincing. It is unquestioned we have talent light years ahead of the Citadel. Geoff got embarrassed and severely outcoached Saturday.

Defense is his thing. He was completely ill prepared for the triple option. He has been very prepared for what we normally see, and that is the spread similar to what we (are trying to) run. The only excuse is that had so little respect for the previous offensive system, the just thought by showing up they’d run them out of stadium. I do think he will be better prepared on defense the rest of the season.

Now offense is a different story. I find it humorous people arguing that the talent the previous coaching staff was sufficient to put up huge rushing numbers, but this coaching staff can’t do squat with. So what YOU are saying is the previous offense that you want to get rid of is so superior to this offense, that you want to keep, they get much more out of the talent than this staff. That just proves the point that CPJ’s offense is simple better. But, he’s not here on his own choice. The simple fact is we have much, much better talent than the citadel and we still could only score 24 points. I just don’t understand how anyone can defend that. That performance deserves a response. Whether it be firing the coordinator, benching the quarterback or something. The frustrating thing is everyone can see one quarterback not moving the team and two others having success. Do they have a different oline when they are in the game. Does the oline say, hey I’m gonna block better for these two than that one. The ATL stuff is fine, but as another poster pointed out there a a lot of other position where there are multiple people ATL, but the non-starters don’t get to play. Constantly playing underperforming QBs will tear a team apart. Ask B*** L**** and Tom luginbill.
GT is not that much more talented than the Citadel.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot would start at other ACC programs. Have you seen the conference this year? We have a more talent on D than other teams in the conference.

Jordan Mason is averaging more ypc than Cam Akers behind an OL that, to hear our fans talk, is made of tissue. Mason is ranked 6th in rush yards and 8th in ypc in the ACC. He's only going to go up as the other backs have their annual game against Clemson.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Hate to tell you but it’s not reciprocal. Just because CPJ did something to you guys or maybe you just despised him from the start doesn’t mean that current/previous fans of the program are not hoping CGC succeeds. Take a step back, ignore the results on the field but not the conduct and ask yourself does this look like GT football?

Does multiple, unchecked by the coaching staff personal foul penalties in a close game look like GT football? Blatant unsportsmanlike conduct look like GT football?

Do football players SELECTED to act like cheerleaders on the sidelines although not in the traditional sense because they’re jumping around like da U look like GT football?

Does over the top WWE style hyping up the team, exposing yourself to rampant criticism look like GT football?

Does not knowing basic rules of the game seem like GT football?

This is what the complaining’s about. You’ve got a fan base that every day of the week goes to work and analyzes, deals with results. We make cause/effect determinations unlike most fan bases. We see lack of basic discipline, coupled with unfocused players as a cause to the effect. We feared the antics during the spring and practices leading up to the season as lack of focus on football fundamentals and that looks like what we got. Coach need to either fix himself or prove us wrong. Right now he’s proving us right and at an alarmingly faster rate that many of us could have imagined.

When you’re not executing & you’ve got all these sideline shows going on it’s not a good look for the coach. My workplace is a small microcosm and GT football only gets talked about when we had key wins. Normally GT football does not get ridiculed like da U, but where I work there’s comparisons all over the place now, still this morning. Is this the culture we want? Undisciplined football players looking like stooges on the field and sidelines because the staff has trained them to act foolishly in the name of hype.

I held my breath after a point to wait & see. Coach needs a wake up call. He’s right this is big time football & he better get wise quick to the level of the league he’s in. I’m telling you if we do not see a highly disciplined team at Temple, Katie bar the door. We’re in for a horrible ride. Whether we win or lose, we’re GT not one of the loser factories we’ve ridiculed for decades.

You guys keep saying all of this but have you rewatched the game?

It wasn’t all coaching. Pretty much everyone on the team sucked that day except for PH3.

You’re taking what you saw, being emotional, and then taking out on the first reason you want it to be, the new coaching staff.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
A lot would start at other ACC programs. Have you seen the conference this year? We have a more talent on D than other teams in the conference.

Jordan Mason is averaging more ypc than Cam Akers behind an OL that, to hear our fans talk, is made of tissue. Mason is ranked 6th in rush yards and 8th in ypc in the ACC. He's only going to go up as the other backs have their annual game against Clemson.

A lot is just not true. Some would, most wouldn’t. Mason the only one on offense. J Lee maybe.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think your take is totally unreasonable, but what I've bolded here, I just don't think it's true. It seems like you kinda do care what they think of us. Fact is, they have been laughing at us for years (when they cared enough to mention us at all) just for different reasons, be it the old "high school" offense insult or whatever else. And they will continue to laugh at us until we win. The juice crew is wayyy down on my list of concerns right now. As a fanbase, we are going to have to toughen up to take the slings and arrows these first couple of years. Collins was tasked with making GT football relevant in the landscape of college football, rather than just quietly winning 6 or 7 games a year. Whether we jump around on the sidelines or not, there is really no place to hide. We opened against the defending champs and we'll play in MBS next year. At some point, the results are going to have to match the hype, but very few people expect them to right now. The first step was to get people to take notice, the second step is to recruit, and the third step is to win. Maybe some don't like the order of those events, but that is the vision of the AD and Head Coach. Skepticism about play calling and utilization of talent is totally understandable, but I think calling our own coach a clown really doesn't help us at all. A fair number of Clemson fans who did the same to Dabo in his early years probably feel a bit silly now.

I don’t care what they think of us personally, as I’ve been successfully dealing with that since childhood. I’m talking about more in the bigger picture of things. That public image of all buzz, no sting, acting a fool on the sideline without ANY sign of real improvement can also affect what potential future Tech players think of us, aka recruits. I think it’s way too early to be acting the way we are during game time. That’s the actual presentation/consumption point of the product, not the marketing. The marketing (the social media, the Waffle House, etc) is all fine and good...that’s the build up. Build the meal up as much as you see fit in ads and in-window advertising, but when the customer sits down to eat, if it still tastes like crap, none of the marketing matters. And if the meal does taste like crap, don’t have the wait staff all yelling and dancing and telling me how good it is. “Act like you’ve been there” and regulate that stuff until the taste matches the hype.

Again, that’s my take on it, and I know other people have their own. But as someone who “bought” into with my own money, this is, so far, a far cry from anything close to the billing. I’d even accept the Citadel loss, if we even remotely acted like a mature team, or sounded like we were all business to correct it afterward. But he just kept on on the radio show with the act. That part has me worried, big time. We do this, and alienate our core fanbase (aka older/mature/more established, more money contributing), and we could be in real trouble, quickly. We aren’t exactly filling BDS up as is, and I don’t know if you pay attention to the selling of merchandise, but walk into a ****’s Sporting Goods or the like...often times the collegiate apparel close out rack is filled with our stuff. We can’t afford to run off too many existing fans.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys keep saying all of this but have you rewatched the game?

It wasn’t all coaching. Pretty much everyone on the team sucked that day except for PH3.

You’re taking what you saw, being emotional, and then taking out on the first reason you want it to be, the new coaching staff.

The new coaching staff gets paid very big money (compared to the average salary) to GET THESE PLAYERS READY FOR THE GAME. If the kids aren’t performing, it’s the coaches JOB to get the right players in the spots they need to be. These kids aren’t coaches...they are doing what they are told to do. If anything...this is way more on the coaches than the kids. It’s literally their job.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
The new coaching staff gets paid very big money (compared to the average salary) to GET THESE PLAYERS READY FOR THE GAME. If the kids aren’t performing, it’s the coaches JOB to get the right players in the spots they need to be. These kids aren’t coaches...they are doing what they are told to do. If anything...this is way more on the coaches than the kids. It’s literally their job.

Actually, I don’t think they’re doing what they have been told.

Go rewatch the game.

At some point it’s the players job to run, kick, pass, tackle, and block.