Coach’s radio show

Eli

Helluva Engineer
For some reason, sports makes people lose all common sense. Do you want CGC and TS say they were embarrassed by the loss and quit? I'm sure their frustration level is times 10 of a normal fan, because their livelihood is directly tied to wins and losses. Most of us were fuming for a few hours, and then we went on with our lives with our families, jobs, etc. The coaches are the ones that live with a loss like that every moment of the day, and they are no doubt more ticked off because they had a direct impact on the outcome.

In any case, people should really watch the press conference after the game. If you don't think CGC cares about what happened and trying to fix it, maybe it's time to find a new team, because you're likely to never be happy with whatever the outcome this season and beyond.

Both of these guys get paid millions of dollars. I don't feel the least bit sorry for people giving Collins hell. In all honesty he probably wouldn't receive as much backlash if it wasn't for all the side antics we now partake in.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
For some reason, sports makes people lose all common sense. Do you want CGC and TS say they were embarrassed by the loss and quit? I'm sure their frustration level is times 10 of a normal fan, because their livelihood is directly tied to wins and losses. Most of us were fuming for a few hours, and then we went on with our lives with our families, jobs, etc. The coaches are the ones that live with a loss like that every moment of the day, and they are no doubt more ticked off because they had a direct impact on the outcome.

In any case, people should really watch the press conference after the game. If you don't think CGC cares about what happened and trying to fix it, maybe it's time to find a new team, because you're likely to never be happy with whatever the outcome this season and beyond.

I'd like to hear Collins admit that he messed up regarding time management at the end of the game and not blame the ref for saying something that replay clearly evidences the ref did not say.

You lose to Citadel, at least set the record straight on incorrect statements made in the press conference.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The sad thing is that we played far better, relatively speaking against the best team in the country than we did against either USF or The Citadel, but especially The Citadel.
Ah hah, you maybe on to something.

Maybe we could not play like we did last saturday.
AND
Maybe we could play more like we did play agaisnst clemson. Hey thats a novile thought.

I have heard about teams getting better. But it could be that since we sucked so bad we are in a black hole and will never play better.

""""Guys, we now know what it feels like when you play an option team and your offense is off and your defense makes stupid penalties.""".

I am already missing being at bds to cheer the guys out of this dark place.

Ah hah, you maybe on to something.

Maybe we could not play like we did last saturday.
AND
Maybe we could play more like we did play agaisnst clemson. Hey thats a novile thought.

I have heard about teams getting better. But it could be that since we sucked so bad we are in a black hole and will never play better.

""""Guys, we now know what it feels like when you play an option team and your offense is off and your defense makes stupid penalties.""".

I am already missing being at bds to cheer the guys out of this dark place.
Don't get me wrong. I will be there too for EVERY GAME !!!

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Don't think that's a real debate - PJ inherited more talent. It is obvious you hate PJ and think he ran the program into the dirt.

Having said that, what is a good coaching job this year - win total? 3? 1?

I personally thought 5 would be the number for acceptable coaching. Anything less to me gets more and more to be an indictment of coaching.

What about next year, what can we expect then? Certainly by year 3 there are no more excuses. By that point he's had enough time to get his guys old enough to compete.

A good coaching job this year is our guys showing definitive improvement from these first three disgusting games to the ugag game. Hasn’t changed. I want to see that the kids can improve. Specifically the defense and OL.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well as a fan, I’d think that doing a radio show that you weren’t even scheduled to do would be the logical place to get your message to the fans as quickly as possible. Instead of saying basically nothing but puffery, and glossing over the whole mess. I feel that if he didn’t address it here, he’s not going to later.
He doesn’t need to address it with fans, he needs to address it with the team.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It’s obviously the Johnson fan boys getting off on the program not going as well as everyone had hoped.
Hate to tell you but it’s not reciprocal. Just because CPJ did something to you guys or maybe you just despised him from the start doesn’t mean that current/previous fans of the program are not hoping CGC succeeds. Take a step back, ignore the results on the field but not the conduct and ask yourself does this look like GT football?

Does multiple, unchecked by the coaching staff personal foul penalties in a close game look like GT football? Blatant unsportsmanlike conduct look like GT football?

Do football players SELECTED to act like cheerleaders on the sidelines although not in the traditional sense because they’re jumping around like da U look like GT football?

Does over the top WWE style hyping up the team, exposing yourself to rampant criticism look like GT football?

Does not knowing basic rules of the game seem like GT football?

This is what the complaining’s about. You’ve got a fan base that every day of the week goes to work and analyzes, deals with results. We make cause/effect determinations unlike most fan bases. We see lack of basic discipline, coupled with unfocused players as a cause to the effect. We feared the antics during the spring and practices leading up to the season as lack of focus on football fundamentals and that looks like what we got. Coach need to either fix himself or prove us wrong. Right now he’s proving us right and at an alarmingly faster rate that many of us could have imagined.

When you’re not executing & you’ve got all these sideline shows going on it’s not a good look for the coach. My workplace is a small microcosm and GT football only gets talked about when we had key wins. Normally GT football does not get ridiculed like da U, but where I work there’s comparisons all over the place now, still this morning. Is this the culture we want? Undisciplined football players looking like stooges on the field and sidelines because the staff has trained them to act foolishly in the name of hype.

I held my breath after a point to wait & see. Coach needs a wake up call. He’s right this is big time football & he better get wise quick to the level of the league he’s in. I’m telling you if we do not see a highly disciplined team at Temple, Katie bar the door. We’re in for a horrible ride. Whether we win or lose, we’re GT not one of the loser factories we’ve ridiculed for decades.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Gardner, Howard, David Brown, Jo Gilbert, Claytor, Dan Voss, & AJ Smith. Wish we had this OLine now

And even with all those guys the vastly more talented defense carried us until November.

Here’s the points allowed through October:

Even the hated Patenaude would’ve won at least 6 during that stretch.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Hate to tell you but it’s not reciprocal. Just because CPJ did something to you guys or maybe you just despised him from the start doesn’t mean that current/previous fans of the program are not hoping CGC succeeds. Take a step back, ignore the results on the field but not the conduct and ask yourself does this look like GT football?

Does multiple, unchecked by the coaching staff personal foul penalties in a close game look like GT football? Blatant unsportsmanlike conduct look like GT football?

Do football players SELECTED to act like cheerleaders on the sidelines although not in the traditional sense because they’re jumping around like da U look like GT football?

Does over the top WWE style hyping up the team, exposing yourself to rampant criticism look like GT football?

This is what the complaining’s about. You’ve got a fan base that every day of the week goes to work and analyzes, deals with results. We make cause/effect determinations unlike most fan bases. We see lack of basic discipline, coupled with unfocused players as a cause to the effect. We feared the antics during the spring and practices leading up to the season as lack of focus on football fundamentals and that looks like what we got. Coach need to either fix himself or prove us wrong. Right now he’s proving us right and at an alarmingly faster rate that many of us could have imagined.

When you’re not executing & you’ve got all these sideline shows going on it’s not a good look for the coach. My workplace is a small microcosm and GT football only gets talked about when we had key wins. Normally GT football does not get ridiculed like da U, but where I work there’s comparisons all over the place now, still this morning. Is this the culture we want? Undisciplined football players looking like stooges on the field and sidelines because the staff has trained them to act foolishly in the name of hype.

I held my breath after a point to wait & see. Coach needs a wake up call. He’s right this is big time football & he better get wise quick to the level of the league he’s in. I’m telling you if we do not see a highly disciplined team at Temple, Katie bar the door. We’re in for a horrible ride. Whether we win or lose, we’re GT not one of the loser factories we’ve ridiculed for decades.

The personal fouls did not go unchecked during the game. Those kids were getting chewed out and doing pushups on the sideline, and you best believe they are not going unchecked in practice and workouts this week.

We were only penalized 4 times in the first 2 games. Wouldn't it make more sense to view this game as an aberration rathe than a trend? Honestly, I think the refs were a bit quick with the whistle anyway, possibly because of the opponent.

Did the multiple targeting penalties against usf last year indicate a lack of discipline?

You can be disciplined and still make the game fun. All the dancing and hype stuff is not going away, so its best to overlook it if its not your cup of tea.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And even with all those guys the vastly more talented defense carried us until November.

Here’s the points allowed through October:

Even the hated Patenaude would’ve won at least 6 during that stretch.

Nesbitt literally broke himself the early part of that year keeping the offense moving until the offense began to click.

Not taking away from what CPJ did that year, but he inherited a nice roster for his first year, and an offensive roster that fit his offense almost perfectly. A 4 star top 10 dual threat QB, a 4 star NFL BBack, one of the best blocking backs in his tenure, a future 1st round WR, and 2 OLs that would play in the NFL. We could just flat out talent teams when the offense wasn't clicking yet.

That's not even mentioning the defensive roster. Pretty much the entire starting defense that year outside of the LBs (but even Kyle Jackson went to an NFL camp) spent some time in the NFL.

Talent makes up for a lot of things...that's true for any sport.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A good coaching job this year is our guys showing definitive improvement from these first three disgusting games to the ugag game. Hasn’t changed. I want to see that the kids can improve. Specifically the defense and OL.

Actually..a good coaching job would have included not starting out with 3 disgusting games. Now we are left hoping for just...a decent coaching job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Perhaps my favorite read on this subject.

Does this clown show look like GT football? No. Plain and simple.

I could go on and on ... but this doesn’t look like GT football and both Butch Collins and TStan seem to be either tone deaf or clueless.