Coach’s radio show

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I get that whole “2 is none” stuff...but how does it apply to last Saturday? We had a clear better QB that day at sustaining drives and moving the sticks. Not sticking with Oliver until if/when he was ineffective was a mistake made over and over. He was continually pulled out after being effective. To the point that you knew exactly what type of play (and a resulting sack) was going to occur when Johnson came in. It wasn’t one mistake the coaches made in doing that, it was an entire game’s worth.

My armchair quarterback on this is as follows: First, have some kind of identity for the offense. Whether it's Air Raid, Flexbone, West Coast or Geoff's Juggernaut … rally around something. Two, detail a philosophy … how you plan to move the ball each possession, clock control, pass, etc … there has to be a system of some kind and not just random plays. Third … have a package you can go to and moreover … one you can FIX if it's not working.

With a 2 QB system, we have nothing we can rely on for stability and without a coherent philosophy … you make it far harder for young guys to follow.

I hope Butch is smarter than I am, but it just seems like we are making it far harder than we should.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
LOL. How much do you have? Been recruiting long?

Do you think it's fair to dismiss Herby's points on transitioning the offense and team because he doesn't have any supposed option experience (newsflash, he does).

If you do, then you should have no problem with everyone else dismissing your points due to lack of experience.

I'll fairly answer your question, though I bet you won't answer any of mine!

I coached for a few years, including starting a high school program from scratch. Plus, I've played enough football and have watched countless amount of film to be able to delineate talent level.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Do you think it's fair to dismiss Herby's points on transitioning the offense and team because he doesn't have any supposed option experience (newsflash, he does).

If you do, then you should have no problem with everyone else dismissing your points due to lack of experience.

I'll fairly answer your question, though I bet you won't answer any of mine!

I coached for a few years, including starting a high school program from scratch. Plus, I've played enough football and have watched countless amount of film to be able to delineate talent level.

That’s awesome. You do have more experience than I have. And yet you still say we didn’t have a significant talent advantage over the Citadel. I guess experience ain’t everything.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
That’s awesome. You do have more experience than I have. And yet you still say we didn’t have a significant talent advantage over the Citadel. I guess experience ain’t everything.

I don’t believe that I said that we didn’t have a significant talent advantage.

I do believe that I’ve said that lack of talent can explain why the guys are unable to adapt to a different style of football to the point where they can’t beat Citadel.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You guys keep saying all of this but have you rewatched the game?

It wasn’t all coaching. Pretty much everyone on the team sucked that day except for PH3.

You’re taking what you saw, being emotional, and then taking out on the first reason you want it to be, the new coaching staff.
We don’t have any choice but pray he succeeds because the alternative is a decade of rebuilding.

I projected a more intense, better prepared D running a smart version of defense until the right pieces were in hand. Clemp was promising. USF promising. The lack of discipline against the Citadel was revolting.

I expected better OL play with the better coaches we have. I expected equal to or better offense production. At least equal. We got horrible 3 games in a row.

I’m always looking for a bright sign but when we’re behaving in the fashion we are it’s just down right embarrassing. The players know it. you can see it in their faces. I feel sorry for them the most.

I don’t believe that I said that we didn’t have a significant talent advantage.

I do believe that I’ve said that lack of talent can explain why the guys are unable to adapt to a different style of football to the point where they can’t beat Citadel.
The question is what "style" football are they supposed to be adapting to? I haven't seen ANY KIND OF STYLE yet, other than random.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We don’t have any choice but pray he succeeds because the alternative is a decade of rebuilding.

I projected a more intense, better prepared D running a smart version of defense until the right pieces were in hand. Clemp was promising. USF promising. The lack of discipline against the Citadel was revolting.

I expected better OL play with the better coaches we have. I expected equal to or better offense production. At least equal. We got horrible 3 games in a row.

I’m always looking for a bright sign but when we’re behaving in the fashion we are it’s just down right embarrassing. The players know it. you can see it in their faces. I feel sorry for them the most.

Given how thin and inexperienced in pass blocking our O-line was, even before multiple injuries, expecting better O-line play at this stage was unreasonable. Expecting equal or better production from a transitional offense without a QB with P5 offers was likewise unreasonable. Expecting a disciplined team is not unreasonable, but we were plenty disciplined the first two games. Let's see if this debacle was a one-off.

White_Gold

GT Athlete

Would you agree that players' are responsible for their own behavior? The coaches are ultimately responsible for the players' behavior, I won't argue that. However, the players' are responsible for how they act in between the stripes during the game. Only corrective action can be taken. You can't jump into their brains and make them stop.

Now if they come out and are undisciplined, dancing after a 6 yard gain on defense, etc. against Temple. I'll be the first one to admit I'm wrong. Ultimately, I think we saw a bunch of players who didn't take Citadel seriously. And, yes, I expect that to be fixed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we can all agree that our team did not play up to potential on Saturday. There were missed assignments and perhaps lack of effort (I can't judge). I really disagree with the notion that this was the best they could do because of their lack of talent.

We've seen it before, with our team and with other teams. We've heard CPJ refer to missed assignments in post-game interviews. We've heard some complain about it, and we've heard some appreciate him being a straight-shooter. The reality is that we're dealing with 17-22 year-old young men.

However, there are also questions of whether or not the play-calling was putting guys into the position to succeed. I have my impression, and I expect others have theirs as well. I think the first, maybe the second, unsportsmanlike penalty was on the player, but maybe the second and definitely the third was on coach. Time-management at the end of the game and how he dealt with it in the press conference is on coach.

The questions we'll be looking to answer in the future is whether these problems continue or is this truly just a hiccup. Tennessee, FSU, d'oh U, and UF over the last several years show us that talent alone (recruiting rankings) are not enough.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I think we can all agree that our team did not play up to potential on Saturday. There were missed assignments and perhaps lack of effort (I can't judge). I really disagree with the notion that this was the best they could do because of their lack of talent.

We've seen it before, with our team and with other teams. We've heard CPJ refer to missed assignments in post-game interviews. We've heard some complain about it, and we've heard some appreciate him being a straight-shooter. The reality is that we're dealing with 17-22 year-old young men.

However, there are also questions of whether or not the play-calling was putting guys into the position to succeed. I have my impression, and I expect others have theirs as well. I think the first, maybe the second, unsportsmanlike penalty was on the player, but maybe the second and definitely the third was on coach. Time-management at the end of the game and how he dealt with it in the press conference is on coach.

The questions we'll be looking to answer in the future is whether these problems continue or is this truly just a hiccup. Tennessee, FSU, d'oh U, and UF over the last several years show us that talent alone (recruiting rankings) are not enough.

Effort is judged snap to whistle. A lack of effort is something along these lines:

• Pursuit on defense- even if you're far from the play, are you giving your all on your pursuit angle
  • Not finishing a block or letting the guy run free without doing anything before the play is over
  • Not finishing a route or not properly running a scramble drill
Essentially, did you do everything you possibly could to advance the football or deny football advancement directly/indirectly?

Throw everything out and just watch the effort. It. was. not. good.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Hey I actually like Herbstriet. But how much experience does he have with triple option schemes or transitioning to them or away from them? And I can guarantee you he wouldn’t excuse Saturday away on the transition alone.

We have enough talent to compete in the coastal and handily beat the Citadel. I know throwing the players under the bus is the 2nd favorite scapegoat around here though and actually spins off the favorite scapegoat.

So far it looks like we picked the wrong man for the job. 3 years to figure it out.

A person that makes their living off analyzing CFB games for as long as he has needs no amount of specific experience with the TO or any scheme.

I don’t think anyone has or is excusing Saturday on any transition. That is ignorant.

“We have enough talent to compete in the Coastal”? Maybe, but doubt it due to our recruiting. But the main point is so what if we do? Winning the Coastal is about equal to winning the DeKalb County J.V. runner up trophy.

And it sure as heck has never been good enough to justify a bonus for the coach when we don’t give them a bonus for beating ugag.

Keep reaching for the ground -we will get there.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A person that makes their living off analyzing CFB games for as long as he has needs no amount of specific experience with the TO or any scheme.

I don’t think anyone has or is excusing Saturday on any transition. That is ignorant.

“We have enough talent to compete in the Coastal”? Maybe, but doubt it due to our recruiting. But the main point is so what if we do? Winning the Coastal is about equal to winning the DeKalb County J.V. runner up trophy.

And it sure as heck has never been good enough to justify a bonus for the coach when we don’t give them a bonus for beating ugag.

Keep reaching for the ground -we will get there.

Ahh. So his predictions are always right?

But considering CGC is way over his head... he was indeed right all along apparently.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That has nothing to do with my comment about Sewak initially being a great OL coach, as opposed to later on. Remember, the talent he inherited in 2008 was gone by 2014, when he turned in perhaps his best performance as OL coach.

Also helps to have one of the best Offensive guards in the the NFL right now (Mason), a 4 star mountain of a man who played his best football during that run (Devine), and an All ACC center. But you are correct, that 2014 OL was road grading DLs that year.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow

Why in the world would you expect that? There was nothing in Patenaude's record to think he would be able to come in and equal the flexbone production with the same players.

Also helps to have one of the best Offensive guards in the the NFL right now (Mason), a 4 star mountain of a man who played his best football during that run (Devine), and an All ACC center. But you are correct, that 2014 OL was road grading DLs that year.
They literally wore the mutts down. If it had not been for TERRIBLE officiating in that game, Tech could have won by 3 TDs

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Hey I actually like Herbstriet. But how much experience does he have with triple option schemes or transitioning to them or away from them? And I can guarantee you he wouldn’t excuse Saturday away on the transition alone.

We have enough talent to compete in the coastal and handily beat the Citadel. I know throwing the players under the bus is the 2nd favorite scapegoat around here though and actually spins off the favorite scapegoat.

So far it looks like we picked the wrong man for the job. 3 years to figure it out.
I’m not sure anyone would be the right man for the job THIS year except a CPJ disciple. I do agree with you that losing to Citadel was 100% on the coaches for not getting the players ready, bad game management etc, but beyond the 3 games deemed most winnable on our schedule i’m not convinced that any new coach not running the spread-option could win in this situation. I hope these coaches are smart enough to learn from their mistakes, and are ready for prime-time when they have their players in place, thats really all I can hope for, that and really good recruiting.