Coach’s radio show changes

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
You never know what would make anew fan like GT but this coach seems to do all he can to stay away from fan contact . I will be so happy when he’s gone.
Definitely have to disagree with you here - I like CPJ. But I can admit he doesn't do much to help us with his fan and media relations. The entire Institute struggles with that anyway.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Look I do like CPJ but i don't think he gives a damb about the fans

I think there is a big difference between CPJ being dismissive of fan criticism he believes to be baseless or unreasonable, and CPJ not caring about the fans at all. While there is no doubt there are other coaches that are better at being diplomatic than CPJ, I think you would be hard pressed to find many coaches more honest or upfront with the fans than CPJ. Given the choice, I would take the latter.

For comparison, Pastner is an absolute bundle of positive energy and enthusiasm towards fans in media appearances, but I can't say he really says much in media appearances that is informative or original. I can pretty much predict 95% of what Pastner says before any interview begins. On the other hand, if CPJ gets a good question, he often provides interesting insight and analysis that gives me a better understanding of his strategy and thought process. I personally value that.

Plus, CPJ can be really funny!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CPJ truly does not care about the fans AT ALL. That's one of his big negatives
Let me share something with you that only a couple people are aware of. My Mother (@SavhGTMom) passed away last year from cancer. She was not an alum, she was not a donor, she was no one special as far as anyone at GTAA was concerned. She was just a fan of GT and a believer in CPJ. Paul Johnson (via a GTSwarm member) was made aware of my Mother's illness. I will always remember the look of surprise/shock/pleasure on my Mother's face the day she opened a get-well card signed by Paul Johnson. At first, she couldn't/wouldn't believe that he would send her a card but I finally convinced her he had.
I don't care what ANYBODY says - I know for a fact that Coach Paul Johnson cares!

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Let me share something with you that only a couple people are aware of. My Mother (@SavhGTMom) passed away last year from cancer. She was not an alum, she was not a donor, she was no one special as far as anyone at GTAA was concerned. She was just a fan of GT and a believer in CPJ. Paul Johnson (via a GTSwarm member) was made aware of my Mother's illness. I will always remember the look of surprise/shock/pleasure on my Mother's face the day she opened a get-well card signed by Paul Johnson. At first, she couldn't/wouldn't believe that he would send her a card but I finally convinced her he had.
I don't care what ANYBODY says - I know for a fact that Coach Paul Johnson cares!
Ok i had no idea about that specific example and im sorry about your mother. Just in my personal opinion, in general i don't think CPJ cares about the fans. Just my opinion

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And I'm saying you're 100% wrong. His first obligation is to the team but I assure you he cares greatly about the fans. I've never known anyone who has met him that would ever say he doesn't care about the fans!
A Swinney he is not but the league probably could deal with just one at a time. Never met him but from what I have read here, and about him by the local newspaper in Annapolis while he was there, he just seems kind of a football coach kind of guy. (f you want to see unlikable find a tape of Urban Meyer's self-centered and arrogant press conference after he got the laughable penalty of a 3-game suspension for leaving a wife beater on his staff.) I do recall some time back he showed up unexpected at a lunch he had been spontaneously asked to but I don't remember the details. They seemed to enjoy him.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
@Gold1 what makes you have that opinion though?

I have only interacted a few times with CPJ in person but EVERY time we have been around each other he has been gracious and present. He does have a tendency to trend towards sarcasm and doesn't tolerate fools well, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about the fan base. There are plenty of anecdotes about things he has done for fans and players showing his connection to the team and school, but I haven't heard specific examples of him acting opposite that way. Do you have any to share?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
If you have never met him or interacted with him then what is your opinion based on? There are several examples on here of people who have indeed interacted with him and none of them agree with your opionion.(which is based on what?)
Face the facts, to some PJ fans he can do no wrong and want him to stay at Tech forever, to others he is smug, smarmy,and not a good representative for Tech. Is it no wonder that he has split the football fan base.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, I would agree that the coach's call in show is not going to attract new fans, but did you have a chance to read the AJC article about Todd Stansbury calling older fans that did not renew their season ticket orders. Paul Johnson is the face of Georgia Tech football. We have plenty of un-used seats. Tech has got to put it together in all areas even if it's a simple call in show.
This sets up perfect for "all soft ball" questions. Just the kind that PJ likes to show how smart a coach he is.