Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
the O line was ungodly good.
Marshall is going to be a stud.
we already do not miss Mills.

but ... our margin for error is small as always and two fumbles and two missed FGs will get us beat against decent comp. And we had very little pass rush tonight. The D was good for 2 1/2 quarters but disappeared after that. We also forced no turnovers. Can't have that happen. We have to force those. Even if we don't score off them, we have to get em.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
2 fumbles and failure to produce a kicking game is why we lost. I feel bad for Davis. A 20-21 year old non-scholarship walk on should not be put in this type of position in modern top level college football. A quick glance at the team stats just makes me feel worse about the loss. TaQuon is so slight, I will be surprised if he can stay on the field all year - but what an unbelievable performance. If we close out the game, it is legendary. These young men now face a short week on top of their already demanding schedules. Tough, tough loss.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I must be the only person not freaking out. I thought we were in for another 4-4 season. I fully believe we can make the ACCCG with TaQuan Marshall. Maybe get a little lucky against Clemson and we win an ACC Title and go to the Playoff (despite this loss).

We obviously need some special teams work for this all to happen. If this was an ACC game, I'd be pissed.

I like this but do not agree with any of it. Our team will have to improve a lot to be in any mention of divisional or conference championships. The defense is, about what you would expect after all these years and special teams are the worst of the PJ era. Neither of these teams should be in the top 25 but I dare say that if we played Tennessee 5 times we would win 3 and possibly 4. Very impressed and happy for T Marshall, K Benson and the offensive line they deserved a better fate.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
utgt.png
Final Score: UT 42 GT 41

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
How does one get gassed when you're on the field for 18+ mins while watching your offense for 56+ mins?

The defense is still brutal. Turnovers killed us, but our defense gave nobody confidence that we would win that game. Also, why was Adams not in the game when it mattered near the goal line?

I hear you. I have not historically been a defender of our defense, so my expectations were very low. I saw an entire half of really good DEF play. Then some similarities to old problems in second half. I guess I'm still thinking about the times in the game where the DEF overcame my low expectations

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Over 500 yards rushing. Wouldn't everyone on the board have been happy with that before the game started? Marshall threw pretty well and set a single game rushing record for a QB. Wouldn't everyone have been pumped to know that was going to happen? We even got some pass rush. If I had heard we would lose two turnovers to their zero and two missed field goals, I would think we would have lost by at least 10. The loss is painful but I couldn't be more optimistic after a loss than I am after this one.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Not when you're trying to figure why it happened.

Two turnovers and two missed FGs lost us the game, yes, but the defense looked like your typical CPJ GT defense in the second half and OT. I don't see how some of you guys are talking like the D is fixed. The defense was cream cheese by the end and they were hardly on the field. Say we make the FG and win. I'm still sitting here discussing that you guys are crazy to think the D has greatly improved. It's jut more obvious and frustrating since we handed them this win.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but y'all are overreacting. We played hard, fast, and aggressive. We looked pretty damn good for a week one team. UT was lucky that we turned the ball over to them 2x.

We should've won that game (easily) but we didn't. We are 0-1 just like many other good teams and we have a **** load of heart. We are gong to win games but today I guess was not our day. I've seen ALOT more disappointing games than this and it's not even close.

Relax..take a chill pill and realize we might just be good this year.

Go Jackets

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
the O line was ungodly good.
Marshall is going to be a stud.
we already do not miss Mills.

but ... our margin for error is small as always and two fumbles and two missed FGs will get us beat against decent comp. And we had very little pass rush tonight. The D was good for 2 1/2 quarters but disappeared after that. We also forced no turnovers. Can't have that happen. We have to force those. Even if we don't score off them, we have to get em.

The margin for error is very small indeed when you cannot depend on your kicking game or your defense. Both of which are in bad shape right now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Roof called a good game. Then all of a sudden the d played soft. Everywhere. I am sick.

LOL you mis-spelled "half." He went with the game plan and then once we got the lead went back to his true self.

I may be different then a lot of folk. I don't freak out after every loss. The only time I get really upset and angry is when we lose a game which we should win. I'm also not going to complain about individual play calls. I'm not that smart. It's been said before -- two lost fumbles and two missed FGs are unrealistic for our margin of error. There's no excuse for JJ's lost fumble though. He's a senior. I don't think our kicker has an excuse for the second one.

We crapped the game away.

But, our D! In the second half, UT scored 3 TDs (70, 61, 93 yds) on 5 drives. That's more than 4 pts/drive we allowed. The average D allows 2 (2.2 tops) pts/drive. After the first half, that kind of collapse is ridiculous. @33jacket may think that clearly the players just lost their talent. I think the more obvious answer is that we changed our scheme.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Taquon and Benson looked amazing tonight. Really excited to see them play more. That said, we gave this game away with turnovers and atrocious special teams play. Tennessee is not a better team than us. In fact, I would say that we are a good bit better. We found a way to lose anyways, and that is pretty frustrating.
Even with us losing the turn over number, special teams cost us. It is a team sport. They are better than us because difference was ST. Our ST play was atrocious.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL you mis-spelled "half." He went with the game plan and then once we got the lead went back to his true self.

I may be different then a lot of folk. I don't freak out after every loss. The only time I get really upset and angry is when we lose a game which we should win. I'm also not going to complain about individual play calls. I'm not that smart. It's been said before -- two lost fumbles and two missed FGs are unrealistic for our margin of error. There's no excuse for JJ's lost fumble though. He's a senior. I don't think our kicker has an excuse for the second one.

We crapped the game away.

But, our D! In the second half, UT scored 3 TDs (70, 61, 93 yds) on 5 drives. That's more than 4 pts/drive we allowed. The average D allows 2 (2.2 tops) pts/drive. After the first half, that kind of collapse is ridiculous. @33jacket may think that clearly the players just lost their talent. I think the more obvious answer is that we changed our scheme.

Um. No. I didnt say that. Its clear as hell he went back to his soft quarters shell. That is why i said we went soft. Soft cvg