Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Defense got 5 three and outs and 7 stops out of 11 during regulation, and that included two drives for UT that started in our territory, and a couple others starting ~30-40 yard line. We lost because we had a ton of empty yards. We had something like 215 yards on 4 drives ending in turnovers or missed FGs. That's probably a 20 point swing if we just don't make those mistakes. But we did and so we lost

This. The D did what we've always wanted them to do. Make some third down stops and force a few punts. Two TOs and two missed FGs. That's the killer.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
All you guys saying that this game was an embarrassment and a sign of a "long season".....
I don't have the words to describe how much I disagree with that assessment...

This game made me believe it could be a GREAT season..

New QB worries: NO
New BB worries: NO
Defense worries: NO
Coaching worries: NO
Our defense played very well tonight until they finally ran out of gas, like EVERY defense (other than Alabama) does in these physical early season games... we DESTROYED that 4-5 star defense of Tn tonight... DESTROYED them.
New Kicker worries: YES

Very proud of my team tonight...very proud.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Funny how right CPJ always is. Wasn't concerned about QB while we all were and was very concerned about the Kicker. Even without the FG's we had the game won without the JJ fumble. Feel bad for the kid but he's too experienced to do that. Really sucks to lose to a team that should be downright embarrassed with their D. We won't move the ball like that again this season but I am hopeful for a decent year. Tennessee was downright awful on D but they won and that's what sucks.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
All you guys saying that this game was an embarrassment and a sign of a "long season".....

Our defense played very well tonight until they finally ran out of gas, like EVERY defense (other than Alabama) does in these physical early season games... we DESTROYED that 4-5 star defense of Tn tonight... DESTROYED them.

Ran out of gas. Lol. In the 4th Tennessee hadnt snapped the ball 50 times. Yall going crazy

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Funny how right CPJ always is. Wasn't concerned about QB while we all were and was very concerned about the Kicker. Even without the FG's we had the game won without the JJ fumble. Feel bad for the kid but he's too experienced to do that. Really sucks to lose to a team that should be downright embarrassed with their D. We won't move the ball like that again this season but I am hopeful for a decent year. Tennessee was downright awful on D but they won and that's what sucks.
GT will run like that against Virginia.Duke and maybe Wake Forest. I think the team still wins 8-9 games and i'll be happy with that.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don't see the problem. It's not an ACC game. Who cares if we are 9-3 or 10-2? 28 needs to ride the pine for that fumble and we need to find a kicker. When Lynch returns we will solve the first problem. We have found a QB and BB, wasn't that what everyone was worried about? The most important thing is to not lose on Saturday. All goals are still in play, except for that undefeated season one.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Defense got 5 three and outs and 7 stops out of 11 during regulation, and that included two drives for UT that started in our territory, and a couple others starting ~30-40 yard line. We lost because we had a ton of empty yards. We had something like 215 yards on 4 drives ending in turnovers or missed FGs. That's probably a 20 point swing if we just don't make those mistakes. But we did and so we lost.

Anyways, Benson is a player, and Marshall looked good, although carried it too much imo. OL also looked good. D looked improved for the most part until momentum swung back in UT's favor. Just too many big mistakes to overcome.

Eh, the defense may have gotten stops in 7 of 11 possessions, but they gave up 3 out of 5 in the second half. Our defense continues to struggle to adjust after the opposing team adjusts. This has been a problem with Roof forever and it happened again tonight. That's not a good sign. It means more of the same on defense and the defense has been our Achilles heel for a decade now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
utgt.png

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw a defense that got pressure, that laid licks, that showed some different looks. They got gassed and TN's talent started showing up.

How does one get gassed when you're on the field for 18+ mins while watching your offense for 56+ mins?

The defense is still brutal. Turnovers killed us, but our defense gave nobody confidence that we would win that game. Also, why was Adams not in the game when it mattered near the goal line?

Jmonty71

Banned

Defense worries. ....yes. Did you watch the 2nd half? They imposed their will on our D, and we got beaten. The aggression that was there, in the first half went away. We missed tackles, as the game went on. Conditioning this? All I know there was no bite in our Dogs for the 2nd half.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Taquon and Benson looked amazing tonight. Really excited to see them play more. That said, we gave this game away with turnovers and atrocious special teams play. Tennessee is not a better team than us. In fact, I would say that we are a good bit better. We found a way to lose anyways, and that is pretty frustrating.