Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a team that can win our division and play in the ACC title game. I watched Miami, VT, Pitt and UNC this weekend. Absolutely no reason we can't beat all 4 of them.

Marshall took the reins tonight. Kid may be our best QB under CPJ (obvious small sample size).

Dedrick who? Loved Mills, but Benson is an ideal B-Back.

I really thought our O was the biggest question mark, but our D and kicking game will be what defines our year. Need King back quick. He can't be any worse than what we saw tonight.

Hoping for a good year. Excited about what I saw on offense tonight. This team is a kicker, DE and some corners away from being special.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The Bad
2nd half defensive performance. Where did the pressure go? The secondary is supposed to be a strength and crapped the bed with awful fundamentals. Austin played so well majority of the game but that touchdown was embarrassing. They had no answer for #1
Marquez Callaway 4rec 115yrds 2TD's from Warner Robins. Ate their lunch.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
What are the chances that a bigger body scores on the 2 point conversion attempt?
...are you suggesting TaQuan Marshall shouldn't have been in on that last play?

Come on, man. He didn't make a great read, didn't execute on that one play, but it's an emotional play and I don't really blame him in the slightest.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
On the UT board all they can talk about is how bad their D is and that Shoop gets paid over a mil. At least their D had one more play in them than ours did.

Well, the UT fans have a point. Given the talent they have, they are pretty bad. Giving up over 600 yards in one game will make you look bad. But then, we know something about that in recent years do we not?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
TM pitches the ball, we win. I saw the relplay 20+ times..damn.

Personally, I wanted to see the speed option there. Only needed 2 yards, so give TM the option to keep it and use his quickness, or pitch it to Kirvonte so he can use both his speed and power. We used it earlier in the game and got quite a nice chunk of yards.

Stinger21

Jolly Good Fellow
Screw this. Tired of watching a team of boys play a team of men. It's sad when you know if your team goes to OT, your 0-1. I'm done. I loved Tech for everything it was worth, but y'all have fun. I'm out.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Eh, the defense may have gotten stops in 7 of 11 possessions, but they gave up 3 out of 5 in the second half. Our defense continues to struggle to adjust after the opposing team adjusts. This has been a problem with Roof forever and it happened again tonight. That's not a good sign. It means more of the same on defense and the defense has been our Achilles heel for a decade now.

And we should have had a 4 TD lead by the 4th quarter. But we didn't.

The first TD was a result of UT getting the ball twice on our side of the field in a row. That's not on the Defense. The third TD was because usually reliable players took bad angles, and their player made a play. That wasn't at all about adjustments or Roof. On their last TD in regulation we had a DB in perfect position and read the play to get an INT but didn't get a quick enough jump on it. That's not on a lack of adjustments. Yes, UT started scoring. They have a lot of talent. You can't expect them not to find something that will work eventually especially once they got momentum back on their side.

We need a defense that can put the game in our offense's hand to decide and that is what we had tonight. Expecting the defense to constantly bail out the team when turnovers and missed FGs happen as much as they did tonight is ridiculous. We lost 6 points on the FG, probably 7 on the second TD, and gave away 7 on the first TD. We don't have a defense, nor should we expect to, to overcome a 20 point deficit like that. This was exactly what I said I was worried about this year, that we would be too reliant on death marches and that we'd end up having long drives end in 0 points that would cost us.

Defense will always be the weaker side of the ball as long as Johnson is here. That's not because of the DC. That's because of Johnson.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
If you got back and watch we had 1 missed block or pitch on the 2pt conversion and it was a walk in. Sucks to lose, but TM is a leader. Him and Benson and the whole Oline stepped up in a huge way.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This is a team that can win our division and play in the ACC title game. I watched Miami, VT, Pitt and UNC this weekend. Absolutely no reason we can't beat all 4 of them.

Marshall took the reins tonight. Kid may be our best QB under CPJ (obvious small sample size).

Dedrick who? Loved Mills, but Benson is an ideal B-Back.

I really thought our O was the biggest question mark, but our D and kicking game will be what defines our year. Need King back quick. He can't be any worse than what we saw tonight.5

Hoping for a good year. Excited about what I saw on offense tonight. This team is a kicker, DE and some corners away from being special.

Funny thing about Marshall. He is well, different from what I expected. I thought he would basically be a poor man's JT5 but let me tell you he takes a back seat to nobody. He is extremely quick and fluid seems to pitch the ball well and is a natural triple option quarterback. He is very much like the super quick quarterbacks that Oklahoma churned out with regularity during the 1970s running the wishbone. Quite frankly, he will be the best IF he learns not to run the ball 40 times a game. Let K Benson play with it a while and you can throw it or pitch it to Ricky, Brad, Q, Lynch, and your other playmates a few times and save wear and tear on that body.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If only we could afford a top tier DC like Shoop, Chavis, Chizik, etc....

Loss is brutal but like some others have stated, I am optimistic about this team this year based on what I saw tonight. Every piece of this offense was impressive. Defense is still an issue but I am confident we will be better than last year. Pass rush looked a little better and overall seems to be a little more talented than in recent seasons. Special teams is obviously the big question mark.

This was a non-conference game that gave us good exposure against a big name team, and we were clearly better than them. Better for the program than an easy W against Mercer. We found a QB and a BB. Escaped the game without any big injuries it seemed. Losses to Marshall, Benson, or Jahaziel Lee would have really hurt--all were injured at one point but returned. I am now more confident we can compete for an ACC Coastal crown.

"offense was impressive. Defense is still an issue..."

As has been said forever and forever. And forever.

C Kelly good enough for FSU but not GT.

I DO have great hopes for this team, but crap the same thing time after time. And we could not find ONE kicker better prepared than this young man (and I know he is hurting).

We needed to win this game on Monday nite TV, and it almost became imperative to kick their teeth in with their average at best QB and the lead.

But NO turnovers by our D. Etc, etc, etc.