Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
we made a handful of mistakes and let the No. 25 team in the country off the hook.
we will be in the acccg to take on Clemson. It may not look pretty between now and December, but this team is going to just overpower people. If we force one turnover a game, I don't see anyone stopping us.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
we made a handful of mistakes and let the No. 25 team in the country off the hook.
we will be in the acccg to take on Clemson. It may not look pretty between now and December, but this team is going to just overpower people. If we force one turnover a game, I don't see anyone stopping us.
I like your confidence and I like enough of what I saw to know we'll be ok this year but I think it is being understated just how bad Tennessee's defense was. I'll give our players credit but I don't see another performance like that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
THE GOOD
1. Taquan is GOOD. Like REAL good. You're seeing an element we missed the last 4 seasons with JeT. The ability to run between the tackles. TM doesn't have the breakway speed of JeT, but he has the quickness and ability to create from nothing. He's not the passer JeT is (yet), but I think the inside running ability negates that. That said, I don't want him running the ball 40 times a game. He's going to break down halfway through the season if that keeps up...which I don't expect.

2. Kirvonte is GOOD. Same results as True Freshmen Mills, but breakaway ability if he gets the opportunity to get in the open field, which didn't happen against UT.

3. Our OL is GOOD. Good seeing Shamire out there and pulling. When he's on, he is probably one of the most dominant in our League. Keep it up big guy. Last play not withstanding, Parker also played a heck of a game.

4. Thought the DL played well the 1st half.

5. Austin20 is a playa!

6. That 2 OL counter lead play (or whatever is called) is devastating if you give TM the option to go outside or inside.

7. Going for 2 was the absolute correct call. Wished we would have played to the wide side to give Taquan more room to create...like we did most of the game.

8. That was one of the more dominant performances by our offense. If not for the 2 TOs, we're talking with a different tone right now.

THE BAD
1. Need to step on their throats when you have UT flailing. Tennessee looked mentally out of it in the 2nd Qtr, and in the 3rd Qtr their defense was looking around for mercy killing. Getting a FG miss and turn over on JJ Green gave them new life.

2. Not sure why CPJ didn't stay with the run on 3rd down if he was going to attempt to go for it on 4th down (which led to the missed FG). UT wasn't close to stopping us on any play on the ground at that point. Like I said in #1 above, gotta keep your foot on their neck when you have them down. Don't get cute.

3. Defense was the closest thing to dominant I've seen from us in a long time in the 1st half. Unfortunately, football is 4 quarters, not 2.

4. FG team needs to get it together quick. Kickoffs and FGs HURT us bad.

5. Corner plays is still fundamentally unsound. Not sure why Durham had his back turned to the QB when the WR was against the sideline. Our CBs play like they don't understand the sideline is basically your friend. Play with slight inside leverage to defend the slant, but keep your body between the LOS and the sideline. If Step would have done that, and kept his eyes on the QB, that's possibly an INT.

In conclusion, if we can clean some things up, we're looking like a contender for the Coastal. This can be a REALLY GOOD offense. Our defense has potential, but they just need to play aggressively the entire game.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
2 fumbles and failure to produce a kicking game is why we lost. I feel bad for Davis. A 20-21 year old non-scholarship walk on should not be put in this type of position in modern top level college football.

I feel bad for the kid, it's a tough thing to go through.

The rest of your sentence I completely disagree with.

Do you think he walked-on, went through 2-a-days, spring camp, fall camp, just so he could ride the pine? He probably dreamed of making a game winning FG. He wanted to play. Hopefully he'll get better.

In the Wheel of Fortune of college football, the RSTLN-E are win the turnover battle, be sound in the kicking game, and minimize mistakes. We lost in all 3 tonight.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Positive Takes
The O was unstoppable. GT stopped themselves with Fumbles. Passing game was sharp and probably could get sharper. Taquan is tough but dude can't take that kind of pounding for the season. He is tough. The Oline was killer.
Game balls.
Benson
Cottrell
Searcy
Shamire
& Taquan

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, Tech lost.
Lost turn over margin 0-2.
Pts. off of turn overs 0 - 14.

Can this Team Compete? Yes.
Can this Team Win? Yes.

Let's see what improvements are made next two weeks. Would expect that CPJ and the staff will have them pointed in the right direction.

Can we be proud of them and and expect them to get better, ABSOLUTELY!

THWG!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Even with us losing the turn over number, special teams cost us. It is a team sport. They are better than us because difference was ST. Our ST play was atrocious.
The special teams wouldn't have mattered without the turnovers. We win the game easily without them. If these two teams played again next week, I have no doubt that we would be the favorite.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL, in chat you said the move to Zone was fine.

On that play. You cant play man when the run game is working dude. Zone is fine. But there are various zones. Please. I have been right about roof for 5 years fighting fans about this topic only to be right every year.

We had an ok call on that one td pass. Zone defense is not the issue. Its the type of zone roof coaches and reverts to thats the issue.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
THE GOOD
1. Taquan is GOOD. Like REAL good. You're seeing an element we missed the last 4 seasons with JeT. The ability to run between the tackles. TM doesn't have the breakway speed of JeT, but he has the quickness and ability to create from nothing. He's not the passer JeT is (yet), but I think the inside running ability negates that. That said, I don't want him running the ball 40 times a game. He's going to break down halfway through the season if that keeps up...which I don't expect.

2. Kirvonte is GOOD. Same results as True Freshmen Mills, but breakaway ability if he gets the opportunity to get in the open field, which didn't happen against UT.

3. Our OL is GOOD. Good seeing Shamire out there and pulling. When he's on, he is probably one of the most dominant in our League. Keep it up big guy. Last play not withstanding, Parker also played a heck of a game.

4. Thought the DL played well the 1st half.

5. Austin20 is a playa!

6. That 2 OL counter lead play (or whatever is called) is devastating if you give TM the option to go outside or inside.

7. Going for 2 was the absolute correct call. Wished we would have played to the wide side to give Taquan more room to create...like we did most of the game.

8. That was one of the more dominant performances by our offense. If not for the 2 TOs, we're talking with a different tone right now.

THE BAD
1. Need to step on their throats when you have UT flailing. Tennessee looked mentally out of it in the 2nd Qtr, and in the 3rd Qtr their defense was looking around for mercy killing. Getting a FG miss and turn over on JJ Green gave them new life.

2. Not sure why CPJ didn't stay with the run on 3rd down if he was going to attempt to go for it on 4th down (which led to the missed FG). UT wasn't close to stopping us on any play on the ground at that point. Like I said in #1 above, gotta keep your foot on their neck when you have them down. Don't get cute.

3. Defense was the closest thing to dominant I've seen from us in a long time in the 1st half. Unfortunately, football is 4 quarters, not 2.

4. FG team needs to get it together quick. Kickoffs and FGs HURT us bad.

5. Corner plays is still fundamentally unsound. Not sure why Durham had his back turned to the QB when the WR was against the sideline. Our CBs play like they don't understand the sideline is basically your friend. Play with slight inside leverage to defend the slant, but keep your body between the LOS and the sideline. If Step would have done that, and kept his eyes on the QB, that's possibly an INT.

In conclusion, if we can clean some things up, we're looking like a contender for the Coastal. This can be a REALLY GOOD offense. Our defense has potential, but they just need to play aggressively the entire game.
That is why JJ's fumble hurt so bad. That was the back breaker we were about to score. Give the UT defender some props, he poked it out and then they fell on it. That ball could have rolled into the endzone and a GT player could have fell on it just as easily. Probably would have in '14.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Even though the outcome didn't go our way, I am proud of the way the team played. We had our opportunities to put the game to bed but just didn't finish for whatever reason. We know what we need to work work on: special teams, defense (2nd half) and ball security. But man was that game exciting!

Excited about the Benson and Marshall combo moving forward. We got a hell of a QB in Marshall! I just hope both those guys can stay healthy.

Screw all these other Debbie Downer posts. Regroup and win next week. Go Jackets!!

I co-sign this. I'll add on that I think we win the division and get a shot at greatness this season. Our offense looking that powerful and polished in week 1 is a very good omen. We clean up our mistakes and we are a dominant team.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Strange how so many think that nothing but O stats are the key to a successful program. The damn stats don't matter right now.

D - pffft. With our O who cares? But ZERO turnovers.

ST - pffft x 2. I feel for our kicker. Don't blame him.

Long season yet, but this is almost inexcusable.

How is C Kelly good enough to be D.C. at FSU but not at GT?

And when are these 42% of GT millionaire graduates gonna pony up so we can get on a semblance of a level field with facilities and recruiting?

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense worries. ....yes. Did you watch the 2nd half? They imposed their will on our D, and we got beaten. The aggression that was there, in the first half went away. We missed tackles, as the game went on. Conditioning this? All I know there was no bite in our Dogs for the 2nd half.

They did impose their will on our D in the second half, as we did on their D all night long.....
If TN really has a squad loaded with nothing but 4-5 star studs, as the "experts" say, then how can I be discouraged about the season when my studs went toe to toe with a talent loaded team?

When great athletes compete, somebody wins and somebody loses.... tonight, the difference was a 2 turnover deficit...

I just don't view that game as a "collapse" of defense... if it was, how would we describe TN's defense?

I'm disappointed with the L for sure... just not discouraged with my team... actually proud of 'em.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully this is Roof's last year and we can turn a corner next year w marshall and benson. We will never better than 3 to 6 loss seasons and no acc champ until he is replaced.

If only we could afford a top tier DC like Shoop, Chavis, Chizik, etc....

Loss is brutal but like some others have stated, I am optimistic about this team this year based on what I saw tonight. Every piece of this offense was impressive. Defense is still an issue but I am confident we will be better than last year. Pass rush looked a little better and overall seems to be a little more talented than in recent seasons. Special teams is obviously the big question mark.

This was a non-conference game that gave us good exposure against a big name team, and we were clearly better than them. Better for the program than an easy W against Mercer. We found a QB and a BB. Escaped the game without any big injuries it seemed. Losses to Marshall, Benson, or Jahaziel Lee would have really hurt--all were injured at one point but returned. I am now more confident we can compete for an ACC Coastal crown.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

I appreciate your sentiments but respectfully disagree that Tennessee is a top 25 team. They have an outstanding running back in Kelly, a pair of fine receivers, a fast defense that apparently was ill prepared and as always with Tennessee teams excellent special teams but they really are not that good. Our offense is exceptional because of the play of Benson and Marshall with a fast very good offensive line and serviceable wide receivers who are good blockers. If we get better on defense and special teams maybe we make a run at winning the division, if we don't, then we could be looking at a 7 win team. It is that close with little margin for error and certainly no margin for turnovers and penalties.