Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have several really good athletes but not as many as the factories aka Tenn. However we have a very good coach at calling plays based on the defense. Where it shows is ST and making plays on defense, aka causing fumbles. Butker was an exceptional athlete at kicker. It helped us win in Athens twice. We just don't have enough exceptional athletes on the D To make the big stops like Tenn did. They forced 2 fumbles and 2 bad fg tries. We didn't get a turnover. Our D scheme is not good enough to out personnel the really good teams. We are sound on D but that is all. Remember that our DC learned from Curry and Lindsey. Not much evolution or innovation that I can see. He has a scheme that is okay but nothing to compare with what PJ can do.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Depth is an issue that separated us. We should have won outright, but in the end having smaller, more tired bodies on D and fewer players to cover kicks made a difference. It's why Bama, etc. win games that they are outplayed in.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
"Refuse to lose" = Luck?
We got every bounce/call that year

We did get a lot of calls/bounces in '14. The "fumble" of JT's at the UGA 1 yard line that resulted in a Damian Swann 99yd TD (14pt swing) was the lone play that I still readily remember that was a complete backbreaker, yet we found a way. But yes, we were very fortunate. I think it was a bit of luck mixed in with the "grit" that our '14 squad had

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Vols' Shoop recaps 'chess match' against Georgia Tech
"It's hard, because he's so good at dissecting what it is that you do and running plays (to counter). I've had people call me and I know (defensive backs coach) Charlton (Warren) had people call him saying they've never seen such a broad game plan from Coach Johnson."
"That was as unbelievable a chess match as I've ever seen," Shoop said.

Not sure as I would've referred to that game as a chess match.