Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
One thing to note: we did not run a single triple option play tonight.

That would normally concern me. Not sure if it does or not right now, considering how well we moved the ball.

But the 3O, whether we run it 5 times a game or 50, is still critical for us to be able to do.
What about that play with the beautiful last second pitch. That wasn't 3O?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
One thing to note: we did not run a single triple option play tonight.

That would normally concern me. Not sure if it does or not right now, considering how well we moved the ball.

But the 3O, whether we run it 5 times a game or 50, is still critical for us to be able to do.

We ran some veer.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This is a good offense, and this team can win 9+ games I think. Granted Tennessee is really bad defensively, but I think we are really good offensively and we will be slightly better on defense than last year if we dial up the pressure and stay aggressive. Hopefully King will step up as kicker and be able to make a few FGs for us. I thought we should've gone for 4th and 7 to try and close it out, and obviously the two fumbles were killers. This will be a good team. I feel pretty confident in that. Wouldn't shock me if we won our division. Tough loss, but if you're an Atlanta sports fan you're used to this type of thing. Go jackets!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Miami, VT and UGA are toss ups. Clemson is a loss. The rest should be W's if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Another 9-4 season with a UGA and bowl win would be mighty fine with me and I think we can get there.

I would take this in a New York second. I honestly think we can beat UGA and Virginia Tech IF we get better on defense and special teams.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Funny thing about Marshall. He is well, different from what I expected. I thought he would basically be a poor man's JT5 but let me tell you he takes a back seat to nobody. He is extremely quick and fluid seems to pitch the ball well and is a natural triple option quarterback. He is very much like the super quick quarterbacks that Oklahoma churned out with regularity during the 1970s running the wishbone. Quite frankly, he will be the best IF he learns not to run the ball 40 times a game. Let K Benson play with it a while and you can throw it or pitch it to Ricky, Brad, Q, Lynch, and your other playmates a few times and save wear and tear on that body.
He didn't miss too many pitch reads the whole game. He was taking what the D was giving. The final play was a missed pitch read that would have been a walk in td. That one hurts. All in all, he did what he is coached to do.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Never seen a game the guys tried harder to lose. Had so many chances to win it but gave it away.

I had such surprising hope for our D in the first half, 2nd half was the same D I've seen for 9 years. Watching TN lollipop 3-4 throws up for grabs and watching us look like children trying to defend it and just fall off their receiver was embarrassing

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
"offense was impressive. Defense is still an issue..."

As has been said forever and forever. And forever.

C Kelly good enough for FSU but not GT.

I DO have great hopes for this team, but crap the same thing time after time. And we could not find ONE kicker better prepared than this young man (and I know he is hurting).

We needed to win this game on Monday nite TV, and it almost became imperative to kick their teeth in with their average at best QB and the lead.

But NO turnovers by our D. Etc, etc, etc.

Defense is still an issue. Moving on to the 5th DC isn't as such a simple solution as some people make it out to be. Those guys I mentioned are basically the cream of the crop in terms of DC names. We witnessed Shoop first hand tonight and he makes like $2 million a year. Were you so delusional that you thought we would be a top 15 defense this year? I was personally looking for improvement from last year, which I saw, but I knew we would still be an offensive-led team as long as CPJ is the coach.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
He didn't miss too many pitch reads the whole game. He was taking what the D was giving. The final play was a missed pitch read that would have been a walk in td. That one hurts. All in all, he did what he is coached to do.

You are right but do you honestly think he can hold up a whole season running the ball this much?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I actually feel pretty good about this team. Kicking will need to be better for sure. Also we will need the D to play like they did in the first half. Looks like we were aggressive the first half then came out with a completely different game plan of bend but don't brake the second half. If we can clean those two thing up along with the turnovers we could have a special year. Think about it, GT doesn't get rolling until about game 4 or 5 it seems like, but it looked like we came out this game already mid season form.

incognito

Georgia Tech Fan
Roof is a moron. Why start playing soft in the 3Q and give QB confidence/momentum??? Yes you're up 14, but its the 3Q! You give up quick throws and don't allow your DL time to collapse the pocket like it had some success with in the first half. You gave up 7 points in 1st half, why change? Defense wasn't gassed it was Roofed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Roof is a moron. Why start playing soft in the 3Q and give QB confidence/momentum??? Yes you're up 14, but its the 3Q! You give up quick throws and don't allow your DL time to collapse the pocket like it had some success with in the first half. You gave up 7 points in 1st half, why change? Defense wasn't gassed it was Roofed.
I didn't see any strategy shift in the second half. Could it possibly be the D got freaked out when UT wouldn't go away and die for us? You have to play 4 qtrs.