Chances Tech reaches the pinnacle?

What odds would you give GT to become a national powerhouse?Talking multiple playoffs in next 20yr

• Total voters

Animal02

Banned
It does seem to be a bit of a no-brainer to add a couple of easy majors for the athletes only. Some of them probably expect to move on to the next level and dont plan to stay 4yrs anyways. I'm just not buying the BOR stuff, if they deliberately sabotaged a major state school from controlling their own studies for advantage to another (uga) school, then governors and senators would make a political stink so bad that even a wet hairy dog would find odorous. I suspect opposition is among or between GTAA and the admin.
I would hazard a guess that the number of state level politicians who lean Athens way is about the same percentage of the general population of the state that does.

Another point, what does APR for the football team matter. I am proud that we graduate over 80% of our players but UGA graduates around 40%, and that is suspect considering what they get their degrees in. The school is able to cover the APR because of all the other sports. You know a few years ago there was that inspiring story about Malcom Mitchel, how he learned to read and write when he got to Georgia. Umm, how did he take an SAT and or ACT to even get in. That story should have prompted an NCAA investigation right there.

GT_EE78

Banned
I would hazard a guess that the number of state level politicians who lean Athens way is about the same percentage of the general population of the state that does.
I don't doubt at all that BOR members ,local politicians and the population of Ga all contain more UGA fans that GT fans but if GT proposed a serious plan that was rejected for partisan uga purposes i can only guess that lawsuits would be raining down thicker than chads in florida. Story lacks credibility.

Animal02

Banned
Another point, what does APR for the football team matter. I am proud that we graduate over 80% of our players but UGA graduates around 40%, and that is suspect considering what they get their degrees in. The school is able to cover the APR because of all the other sports. You know a few years ago there was that inspiring story about Malcom Mitchel, how he learned to read and write when he got to Georgia. Umm, how did he take an SAT and or ACT to even get in. That story should have prompted an NCAA investigation right there.
APR is applied per team

I don't doubt at all that BOR members ,local politicians and the population of Ga all contain more UGA fans that GT fans but if GT proposed a serious plan that was rejected for partisan uga purposes i can only guess that lawsuits would be raining down thicker than chads in florida. Story lacks credibility.

LOL and they would have to take that case out of the State of Georgia as 90% of the judges are UGA Law grads. You think I am joking.....not.

Animal02

Banned
Nope.....it goes back decades. Denial doesn't change it.

GT_EE78

Banned
At this point.... I would be happy with finishing in the Top 25 every year....
THat's a worthy goal which doesn't seem unachievable. I wonder if anyone has made projections as to whether or not Tstan's fundraising campaign will get us into an average top 20/30 recruiting budget?

GT_EE78

Banned
:rolleyes: It has been discussed ad nauseum in the past.
luckily i missed that (and the added nausea). Letting athletes have a major that could get them a coaching job in HS or college would be a benefit., if they don't make it to next level. Can't imagine how that could impact school engineering ratings. If BOR sabotaged one school to favor another i can only believe that would be a violation of some laws. I think the real issues are most likely in-house.

GT_EE78

Banned
And expansion would be even worse. Clemson and Bama are the best. Nothing wrong with that at all
it's ok that bama and clemson always get in (they earned it) but it's lousy for the sport to have 37 meaningless bowls and meaningless CCG's.
Going to 8 would be great. 5auto's for the P5 would give meaning to every conference game .everyone else gets a shot with 3at-large.Finances will push it that way eventually

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
When the playoff expands to 8, 3 slots will be taken by SEC teams. If 1 goes to the group of 5 then there will be 4 slots for the remaining 4 conferences with the Big 10 probably grabbing 2 each year.
Any expansion has to guarantee that P5 champs get autobids. Else we might as well go away from conferences make everyone independent and choose the best 4 from the pool.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
luckily i missed that (and the added nausea). Letting athletes have a major that could get them a coaching job in HS or college would be a benefit., if they don't make it to next level. Can't imagine how that could impact school engineering ratings. If BOR sabotaged one school to favor another i can only believe that would be a violation of some laws. I think the real issues are most likely in-house.
I'm still beyond p/oed that we didn't get a teaching college when uga got their engineering programs.

We claim that we want to be the answer to the question of "how the future will work" within ~20yrs (according to President Peterson) however we haven't articulated a public plan to accomplish this. That more than anything frustrates me with the Hill. A teaching College focusing on STEM teachers can't hurt the reputation of the school, increases the quality of the education in the Southeast, and provides a different track for our athletes, one that can directly translate to being a hs coach.