Chances Tech reaches the pinnacle?

What odds would you give GT to become a national powerhouse?Talking multiple playoffs in next 20yr

• Total voters

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let's start with improving the 50.47% FBS win percentage we posted over the last 9 years before we start talking playoffs. We've only won 7 or more FBS games in a season 3 times in the last 9 years. 7 FBS wins/year should be the floor.
The point about winning more is valid, and I agree that 7 should be the floor...but it’s interesting how you drew the line at 9 years to conveniently exclude an 11-win season. I get why you’d pick 10 years, or 5, or 15...but 9?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
When the playoff expands to 8 you’ll be in if you win the conference. In that regard I think it’s very possible that we could make it multiple times in 20 years...but at that point does it really make you a national power?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
So, for Tech to reach the promised land of national relevance, what is the most important thing that Coach Collins should do?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
When the playoff expands to 8 you’ll be in if you win the conference. In that regard I think it’s very possible that we could make it multiple times in 20 years...but at that point does it really make you a national power?
Agreed. But a natty for us is a big dream. We will never have the depth to win 3 playoff games in a row IMO.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

☠CaptainBuzz☠

Jolly Good Fellow

I think multiple top ten finishes would definitely qualify you as a national power. Though the top tier appears to be getting smaller based on last nights results.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Yup, if this had been in the the goal thread, then I'd say I hope TStan sits with Bud and they discuss how we can make GT number one in both.

I definitely know alumni who wouldn't mind academics dropping for sports, but I always assumed they were the minority.

I have assumed that,too, but I don’t know how we would know that for fact. Maybe the # of Roll Call contributors vs the # of AT contributors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
Eye roll[/QU, q
Yup, if this had been in the the goal thread, then I'd say I hope TStan sits with Bud and they discuss how we can make GT number one in both.

I definitely know alumni who wouldn't mind academics dropping for sports, but I always assumed they were the minority.
And even if most of the alumni were on board......the odds of getting it past the BOR is about the same was as what is leading the poll.

He engineered one of my favorite GT victories - a blowout of the highly-ranked Gamecocks in 1988. My family is mostly Gamecocks so it was a very enjoyable Saturday on the Flats!

Um, no, that was Todd Rampley as well with the win in 1988 over South Carolina. Strom did very little for us. A 5-5-1 season in 1986.

So, for Tech to reach the promised land of national relevance, what is the most important thing that Coach Collins should do?
Either get Clemson and Georgia off the schedule or hope that they both suffer a lot of injuries prior to playing us. Funny thing about 1990. We did beat a really good Clemson team and UVA team. Other than that we stunk it up with a 3 win UNC team and beat a 4 win UGA team. That being said, UGA in 1980 only played 1 team that was very good, Notre Dame, the team that tied us.

When the playoff expands to 8, 3 slots will be taken by SEC teams. If 1 goes to the group of 5 then there will be 4 slots for the remaining 4 conferences with the Big 10 probably grabbing 2 each year.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The chances are slim and none. And Slim has already left the building. Unless there is a lot of money invested in recruiting analyst (probably need at least 15 instead of 4), coaching salaries and a change in the academic load for the players, then welcome to meaningless bowl games for the lucky years when we can scrape up enough wins.

Quoting my own post to apologize for the overly negative position I have had lately. I hate the constantly negative posters and that has been the majority of my post recently. I realize now I need to make a decision about staying on as a fan or is it time to move on since I no longer have any hope for Tech Football. Again, I apologize for all of my negative posts over this past month.

I kinda of feel like we are back in the scenario of the 1970's. Georgia steps up for a few years, 1975,76. Alabama with the Bear was unstoppable. Notre Dame was a force as was Texas, Oklahoma and USC. Penn state was a power as was Ohio St, Michigan with an upstart like Pitt every now and then. Now it is Alabama and Clemson, with Oklahoma flaring up and Georgia getting a few years. For the rest of us I think the goal for a great season is 9 wins. Do that most years and you are a darn good football team.

GT_EE78

Banned
How? Is the school changing its academic standards?
It does seem to be a bit of a no-brainer to add a couple of easy majors for the athletes only. Some of them probably expect to move on to the next level and dont plan to stay 4yrs anyways. I'm just not buying the BOR stuff, if they deliberately sabotaged a major state school from controlling their own studies for advantage to another (uga) school, then governors and senators would make a political stink so bad that even a wet hairy dog would find odorous. I suspect opposition is among or between GTAA and the admin.

It does seem to be a bit of a no-brainer to add a couple of easy majors for the athletes only. Some of them probably expect to move on to the next level and dont plan to stay 4yrs anyways. I'm just not buying the BOR stuff, if they deliberately sabotaged a major state school from controlling their own studies for advantage to another (uga) school, then governors and senators would make a political stink so bad that even a wet hairy dog would find odorous. I suspect opposition is among or between GTAA and the admin.

If you think the BOR will allow this then you need to understand something. 90% of the BOR are UGA grads. If you think that they will let Tech have any chance of getting a few more kids...forget it. The big brother thing in sports if for real, from the BOR to the Atlanta press.. You understand 90% of the writers in Georgia attended the HWG school of Journalism. Losing to Tech gets you fired, just ask Jim Donnan. I was with a bunch of high level UGA guys after the Tech- UGA game in 1991. We lost that game and every one of them had the same comment, "Things are right in the State of Georgia again."

Funny thought, what of GA Southern got the chance to join the ACC and began to get more money in their system. Say CPJ decided to go back and build that program and recruit to that level. He could draw out of Georgia, Florida etc. Wonder what the Georgia faithful would do about that if GA Southern became a threat.