Chances Tech reaches the pinnacle?

What odds would you give GT to become a national powerhouse?Talking multiple playoffs in next 20yr

• Total voters

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm still beyond p/oed that we didn't get a teaching college when uga got their engineering programs.

We claim that we want to be the answer to the question of "how the future will work" within ~20yrs (according to President Peterson) however we haven't articulated a public plan to accomplish this. That more than anything frustrates me with the Hill. A teaching College focusing on STEM teachers can't hurt the reputation of the school, increases the quality of the education in the Southeast, and provides a different track for our athletes, one that can directly translate to being a hs coach.

Is there sufficient demand for more teachers to start up a new school? Is this new teaching school REALLY for training new teachers? Ultimately, college football needs to be its own major called college football under the school of athletics. This subterfuge (and countless others festering in U.S. higher education) may have started with good intentions, but it has really distorted the market*.

* I can't think of a better term, but hey, this is just an online CFB forum.

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
I think it's easier today than it was in 1990. Back then we had to win a popularity contest with the AP and UPI voters. Today we just need to win games and it takes care of itself.
The 2014 team was an ACC-CG victory away from being in the CFP. I voted 20%. Time to get rid of the defeatist attitude that has settled in on our program!

Meanwhile, I agree with @stech81 - Baby steps - let's win the Coastal first! :woot:
No way way we were getting in over Ohio State . Lol

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We have 3 chances to reach the top:
1. Somehow, someway, college football gets cleaned up. Maybe an FBI investigation that makes the basketball one look like Barney Fife. Then every single factory goes on probation, some get the death penalty for a few years, and hopefully we come out as one of the clean programs. All joke majors are done away with and under-the-table payments are a thing of the past. It would take some sort of miraculous prophet in power to do this. Then Georgia Tech will have a real chance.

2. We bring in some hotshot recruiter as HC who brings in a bunch of hotshot recruiter assistants. They then somehow, someway bring in 3 top-25 classes. They are then all fired for still going around .500, at which point Jeff Monken or another good CPJ disciple (or even CPJ himself) to coach those guys to the playoff. Wait a minute...

3. The only other chance I could see is if we did our own version of the Dabo-route. Pay a young recruiter who is a good representative an embarrassingly low salary to be the HC and then pay the crap out of the coordinators so that we can hire the best in the business on both sides of the ball. You'd have to find the right guy as HC, maybe a former GT-SA who just loves GT and would do it almost do it for free (livin' on love).

Outside of those 3 scenarios, I don't see it happening. We're not going to beat the factories by trying to be a factory when we are, by definition, not a factory.

Oh, I guess there is a fourth possibility:
4. Cheat.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
No way way we were getting in over Ohio State . Lol
Would not have needed to get in over Ohio State if we beat FSU in '14. The discussion would have been between Tech, FSU, Baylor, and TCU. Baylor and TCU both only had one loss, but failed to make their conference championship game. TCU lost to Baylor that year, so the discussion would have focused on how you balance a conference championship vs an extra loss. It would have been an interesting discussion for 24 hours on ESPN.

More importantly, GT was 2 stops from a CFP appearance; the closest Tech has been to a national championship since 1990.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is there sufficient demand for more teachers to start up a new school? Is this new teaching school REALLY for training new teachers? Ultimately, college football needs to be its own major called college football under the school of athletics. This subterfuge (and countless others festering in U.S. higher education) may have started with good intentions, but it has really distorted the market*.

* I can't think of a better term, but hey, this is just an online CFB forum.

I haven't seen any reports more recent than the late Obama years, but PBO's Department of Education published multiple studies showing that there was a lack of qualified STEM teachers in the country. So I think there is a need, whether there is a demand and a stomach to pay high performing teachers what they deserve is another matter all together.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes. I’m sure MikeJacket1967 simply forgot about Rampley.

As I recall, GT starting QB John Dewberry was suspended before the All American Bowl for a violation of team rules, and backup QB Todd Rampley engineered the Jackets to win 17-14 in his first career start at QB.
Yes. I took my son and sat in the condemned stadium. Watched Rampley and black watch defense beat MSU.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's because he doesn't count CPJ's first two years. It's how he tries to discredit CPJ's career at Tech.

I did not do it to 'discredit' CPJ's career at GT', he has been a very good coach and I have said that many times. I enjoyed the 2009 season immensely going to both Tampa and Miami. I'm not one who has advocated firing him. I've appreciated the highs he's provided us (obviously would love to have had a couple fewer lows - but that's life). I've followed GT football for over 35 years and imo he is the 3rd best HC and 2nd best OC we've had during that period.
I absolutely did it to exclude that season just to show that it was something of an outlier.
If you want me to include all 11 seasons I am happy to do that, as it doesn't change the overall story, the P5 winning percentage over the 11 seasons was 52.1%. (this is in the same league as his two predecessors - Gailey 52.9%, O'Leary 57.9%).

My only point is that regardless of the HC we aren't competing at a NC level and I do not expect that to change with Collins.

Realistically to have a shot GT would have to have no more than 1 loss. Assuming it comes to one of Clemson or UGA that means going undefeated against the rest of the schedule - which would likely mean 7-0 or 8-0 against FBS opponents. in both 2011 and 2014 we had 3 losses against FBS teams. Since the ACC Coastal has been in its current format GT has never had fewer than 2 division losses and there have been only 4 teams to go 5-1 in the division (VT 2016, 2014, Miami 2017, 2015) and one team to go 6-0 in division play (UNC 2015).

There are only 24 P5 programs who have won 9 or more games at least 3 times in the last 6 years (since the most recent alignments have occurred). Only 15 have won 10+ games at least 3/6 of those seasons. Realistically there are probably not more than a dozen programs that are competing on a consistent basis for one of the 4 CPF slots. Which is of course the first step you have to get to. There are probably 20-30 other schools that could have that one magical year where it all comes together and they get one of those 4 slots to give themselves a chance - but it hasn't really happened yet in the current format.

I think fans legitimately underestimate how hard it is to win and how extremely difficult it is to truly get into the NC picture. The 1990 NC was almost 40 years after our last NC. If we can win one in the next 40 years I will be impressed.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In the short term (3-5 years), it comes down to this:

Can GT beat UGA and Clemson twice? Clemson is our permanent crossover, and more than likely the opponent we would play in the ACCCG. UGA we play every year as our in state rival. UGA and Clemson are historically strong both on the field and in recruiting. IMO, this is hardest of all the hurdles for GT to get over.

Then you have to luck out and not get a strong Notre Dame during the rotation, and FSU during their rotation. FSU should return to being formidable with Kendal Briles at OC...

The Coastal is as winnable and open as it's ever been. GT has to take advantage of it if you want to start any kind of discussion as to whether we can get to the playoffs.

IMO, the most realistic scenario is for GT to become what VT was under Beamer: The yearly favorites to win the Coastal. Getting to ACCCG is a realistic shot. Beyond that? Luck, and things beyond GT's control aligning to get us there. It's not as impossible as we think, BUT the chances don't favor us by any means.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And expansion would be even worse. Clemson and Bama are the best. Nothing wrong with that at all
There is nothing wrong with the same teams making the playoffs every year and having the same Championship every year? You think that is healthy for the long term success of the sport? Eventually there will be little excitement for the playoffs. I watched maybe 30 minutes of the semi final games and may not even watch the Championship. It's just not that interesting to me anymore. Part of this is a problem with parity in College Football but a lot of it can be fixed with a better playoff structure as well. The current system of Alabama, Clemson, and two teams from a group of maybe 5 other programs making the playoffs every year is awful.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Either get Clemson and Georgia off the schedule or hope that they both suffer a lot of injuries prior to playing us. Funny thing about 1990. We did beat a really good Clemson team and UVA team. Other than that we stunk it up with a 3 win UNC team and beat a 4 win UGA team. That being said, UGA in 1980 only played 1 team that was very good, Notre Dame, the team that tied us.
1990 North Carolina team was 6-4-1 - not 3 wins! Plus they had a multiple year pro toting the ball - Natrone Means I believe.

TechPreacher

Banned
Ultimately, college football needs to be its own major called college football under the school of athletics.

Yes. End the charade of classes for the factories and grant football degrees where the curriculum consists of practice, film study, weight training, and nutrition. Their mission would be the same as all degrees - to prepare its students for their professional lives in their chosen fields.

I could actually respect them if they would be that transparent.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yes. End the charade of classes for the factories and grant football degrees where the curriculum consists of practice, film study, weight training, and nutrition. Their mission would be the same as all degrees - to prepare its students for their professional lives in their chosen fields.

I could actually respect them if they would be that transparent.
Yup, I have been saying that for a few years now. Not sure why folks don’t like that idea. It is the most honest approach by far.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
First of all as I said in another thread, college football in it's current state is broken, when it's fixed, we can then re-address this poll.
And also this, from the attitudes in some of these responses, I find it hard to believe that some of you are really fans of GT Athletics ...

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
Would not have needed to get in over Ohio State if we beat FSU in '14. The discussion would have been between Tech, FSU, Baylor, and TCU. Baylor and TCU both only had one loss, but failed to make their conference championship game. TCU lost to Baylor that year, so the discussion would have focused on how you balance a conference championship vs an extra loss. It would have been an interesting discussion for 24 hours on ESPN.

More importantly, GT was 2 stops from a CFP appearance; the closest Tech has been to a national championship since 1990.

You're crazy if you think we'd have been a part of it. We needed to beat FSU convincingly, have OSU lose to Wisconsin, and have Baylor & TCU lose for us to be considered with 2 losses.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
1. Somehow, someway, college football gets cleaned up. Maybe an FBI investigation that makes the basketball one look like Barney Fife. Then every single factory goes on probation, some get the death penalty for a few years, and hopefully we come out as one of the clean programs. All joke majors are done away with and under-the-table payments are a thing of the past. It would take some sort of miraculous prophet in power to do this. Then Georgia Tech will have a real chance.

2. We bring in some hotshot recruiter as HC who brings in a bunch of hotshot recruiter assistants. They then somehow, someway bring in 3 top-25 classes. They are then all fired for still going around .500, at which point Jeff Monken or another good CPJ disciple (or even CPJ himself) to coach those guys to the playoff. Wait a minute...

3. The only other chance I could see is if we did our own version of the Dabo-route. Pay a young recruiter who is a good representative an embarrassingly low salary to be the HC and then pay the crap out of the coordinators so that we can hire the best in the business on both sides of the ball. You'd have to find the right guy as HC, maybe a former GT-SA who just loves GT and would do it almost do it for free (livin' on love).

Outside of those 3 scenarios, I don't see it happening. We're not going to beat the factories by trying to be a factory when we are, by definition, not a factory.

4. Cheat.

I'm okay with 4. Cant beat them then join them. If we think bama, lsu, uga, Clemson, notre dame and florida dont cheat we are filling ourselves

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

4. Cheat.

#4 is what Ole Miss did, and you see what it got them. They did beat Bammer twice, but was it worth it in the end?

We are GT - to me, our reputation is most important. I do like the fact that CGC is only calling our differences "positives". That is a great take on GT, and hopefully, it will pay off in better recruiting and better results, but GT becoming a multi-year power house??? Just cannot see that with the current situation.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm okay with 4. Cant beat them then join them. If we think bama, lsu, uga, Clemson, notre dame and florida dont cheat we are filling ourselves
I'm definitely not OK with #4, which is a big reason I think we cannot and should not pin our success primarily on a foundation of recruiting success. If I believe we are in the category of #4, I'm out. Plenty more in life to which I can devote my time and passion. Of course, who cares if I'm out? Probably more people are good with it. I mean, who's to say what's right and wrong ... right?