Chances Tech reaches the pinnacle?

What odds would you give GT to become a national powerhouse?Talking multiple playoffs in next 20yr

• Total voters

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I’m sure MikeJacket1967 simply forgot about Rampley.

As I recall, GT starting QB John Dewberry was suspended before the All American Bowl for a violation of team rules, and backup QB Todd Rampley engineered the Jackets to win 17-14 in his first career start at QB.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I remember that game! I was at Grant Field for that one, the 34-0 upset of the Gamecocks.

Ralph Friedgen was GT’s offensive coordinator then. He game-planned a masterpiece!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
One thing about setting goals is that they be reasonable and achievable.

Suppose the goal was to be in the Top 10 winningest programs. That’s pretty good, right? Well, that’s a winning percentage of 0.681 or ... an 8 win season.

The first goal is to consistently win 8 games a year. Once you do that ... then you can talk about catching lightening in a bottle. Lest anyone says “that sucks” ... it’s good to remind ourselves that only 10 teams have ever done it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
With the information we have right now, I would say our chances are between 0% and 1% but I would give you the same prediction for most teams. Even if you’re spending all the money and making all of the right decisions, it’s still hard as hell to win it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I stand corrected. The All American Bowl game between GT and Michigan State was played on Dec. 31, 1985.

Thank you for correcting me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think we have the same chance of getting there within ten years that we had in 1981, which is almost none at all.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I put 0%, though I probably should have put 1-5, lightning could always strike and everything comes together - but imo it is likely to be a once in a generation event.
CFB has moved largely to a different model than it used to be and there are probably only about a dozen schools nationally that can compete on any consistent basis for NC's.
I'd say it was easier for GT to win a NC in 1990 than it would be to do that now.

The money and resource proposition is just so different now.

Right now we are sub .500 against P5 opponents over the last 9 seasons, so I think we would have to start by at least winning better than 50% of our games against P5 opponents since we are going to play at least 9 per year. Our winning percentage against P5 opponents has gone down for the last 3 coaches - O'leary was 57.3%, Gailey was 52.9%, Johnson was 52.1%.