CGC Post Game Interview

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So Collins just has no shot at coaching up his own recruits because he struggled coaching spread option players this year?
Well I having seen it at this time. I hope he can but if all he wants is to be the CEO of Tech then he may want to look for another OC I'm not see that P'nut can coach any players up.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well I having seen it at this time. I hope he can but if all he wants is to be the CEO of Tech then he may want to look for another OC I'm not see that P'nut can coach any players up.

I have a theory about P’nut. Since we won’t have players for 3 years, Collins doesn’t want to pay for a top flight OC. Why would you?

If you are a good coach, you coach to your strength. The Miami game was a great example. Instead of saying, we are going 5 wide and throw all the time, the game plan was 70-30 run to pass. Right now our players are built to run the ball. And not just the hand off up the middle on a delay like yesterday. Outside, option etc. We did that and won. Every game we have lost and yesterday was a great example, was a case of the coach trying to run his system with players that aren't built to run it. Can he get those players, well that is the question and as I said on another thread, no. We will never out talent many teams. SCHEME, Coaching

GT_EE78

Banned
guess CGC can claim a moral victory this week in my mind. It;s the first time that i recall when watching the post-game infomercial was less painful than watching the game.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Highest ranked Recruting class since 2007 gets here in a few months. Not sure why you have pushed this narrative since he was hired you’re way off. Collins is here to rebuild the team with the trail and the portal and then develop them. I don’t remember Collins saying he was finna come in and win games right away, I also remember the whole country expecting Tech to suck this year but for some reason our fans are so surprised.

Granted the players in the recruiting class fit this offensive scheme better than the guys currently in it, but this class is rather pedestrian compared to ACC teams that run this offense. The two 4* players are a running back and safety. We have talent there so both will sit. The rest are 3* guys. We are recruiting (talent wise) just like we always have, a couple 4* players and a bunch of 3* guys. The rankings are only higher because our scheme requires the same offensive sizes that other teams do, and thus the measurable standards fit what we actually want on offense vs the need for a 3O team. Maybe an Ol will play and a DL along with a LB, but that is about it. He isn’t bringing in elite talent with this class.

We are recruiting about like we have in the past in terms of talent. If the same thing happens in 2020 Collins will be in trouble.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Granted the players in the recruiting class fit this offensive scheme better than the guys currently in it, but this class is rather pedestrian compared to ACC teams that run this offense. The two 4* players are a running back and safety. We have talent there so both will sit. The rest are 3* guys. We are recruiting (talent wise) just like we always have, a couple 4* players and a bunch of 3* guys. The rankings are only higher because our scheme requires the same offensive sizes that other teams do, and thus the measurable standards fit what we actually want on offense vs the need for a 3O team. Maybe an Ol will play and a DL along with a LB, but that is about it. He isn’t bringing in elite talent with this class.

We are recruiting about like we have in the past in terms of talent. If the same thing happens in 2020 Collins will be in trouble.

Yeah, because Collins was expected to bring in 5*’s in his first class. Do you not know how recruiting is conducted? All high caliber players for 2020 have been being recruited by coaches since 8th or 9th grade. Except GT wasn’t one of them because our staff during those years didn’t recruit high end players but went after scheme players. The fact that Collins was able to flip several high end players within a few months last year and that he’s been able to get a foot in the door on guys for 2020 is outstanding. I know a lot of football related folks in South Georgia and Collins and GT is now coming up in conversations with kids early in high school. That bodes well for future classes. But, yes, it’s tough to just show up on a kid who is a senior and flip him from coaches who have been showing them love since 9th grade. It takes time and thankfully our AD knows this.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Man so what? So we are just going make stuff up!
Pedestrian? This is major reach. Offer wise and ranking wise, no we are not recruiting the same

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We can only take so many bad years to where it just deteriorates our fan base. Have to start winning!!!

I don’t know where to start on this. Fan base? We have one of the smallest fan bases in P5 so it isn’t deteriorating. And those fair weathered fans who stay home next year will be back the second we start winning. We will start winning when we bring in players who can block and tackle. The last thing GT should ever be worried about is a deteriorating fan base. It’s been deteriorated for decades. Just like I’m glad CPJ never cared about the fans I’m glad we have a coach with big program experience who doesn’t care either. He has 2 audiences - the AD who just hired him and 14-18 year old football players.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, because Collins was expected to bring in 5*’s in his first class. Do you not know how recruiting is conducted? All high caliber players for 2020 have been being recruited by coaches since 8th or 9th grade. Except GT wasn’t one of them because our staff during those years didn’t recruit high end players but went after scheme players. The fact that Collins was able to flip several high end players within a few months last year and that he’s been able to get a foot in the door on guys for 2020 is outstanding. I know a lot of football related folks in South Georgia and Collins and GT is now coming up in conversations with kids early in high school. That bodes well for future classes. But, yes, it’s tough to just show up on a kid who is a senior and flip him from coaches who have been showing them love since 9th grade. It takes time and thankfully our AD knows this.

LOL - How many coaches are at the same school they were at 5 years ago when this incoming class was in the 8th grade? What about when the current seniors were in 8th grade. Collins is the person that has anointed himself as the king of recruiting, not me. He is the one that chose an offense he could recruit to a high level with. A pro-style spread to get kids in the NFL. I don’t know how long GT is willing to wait on him to be successful, but I doubt it is long enough for current 8th graders to be juniors/seniors in college.

All I am pointing out is that people assume he is doing great at recruiting because he hypes it up. To date he has not made any significant strides in terms of landing elite talent.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Man so what? So we are just going make stuff up!
Pedestrian? This is major reach. Offer wise and ranking wise, no we are not recruiting the same

I am not making anything up. We have 2 4* guys and 19 3* guys. We are ranked 5th or so in the ACC. 5th out of 14 is average/pedestrian. That is about how we normally recruit in terms of star ratings. When we all run similar offenses you need great coaching and elite recruiting to be successful.

There is still some time left. If he lands some 5* or several more 4* recruits I will post a mea culpa.

Last edited:

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

If it’s the same as always why is the ranking 20 spots better? The difference now being the 3 stars we have are actually top 1000 and actually rated with tons of other P5 committable offers and we aren’t flipping guys from GO5 schools like we used to. I did a thread about it in the recruiting forum we have more Top 1000 guys in the class then any of the last 5 and I’m sure it goes back farther I just didn’t look that far. I use 247 for rankings too because it’s all of them combined, so the info might not match if you use Rivals ESPN etc.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know where to start on this. Fan base? We have one of the smallest fan bases in P5 so it isn’t deteriorating. And those fair weathered fans who stay home next year will be back the second we start winning. We will start winning when we bring in players who can block and tackle. The last thing GT should ever be worried about is a deteriorating fan base. It’s been deteriorated for decades. Just like I’m glad CPJ never cared about the fans I’m glad we have a coach with big program experience who doesn’t care either. He has 2 audiences - the AD who just hired him and 14-18 year old football players.
2 years at Temple as a head coach is big program experience ? Don't tell me about his time as assistant coach if that was the case there would be more head coaches than college would need. Being a good assistant coach doesn't mean you are a good head coach.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If it’s the same as always why is the ranking 20 spots better? The difference now being the 3 stars we have are actually top 1000 and actually rated with tons of other P5 committable offers and we aren’t flipping guys from GO5 schools like we used to. I did a thread about it in the recruiting forum we have more Top 1000 guys in the class then any of the last 5 and I’m sure it goes back farther I just didn’t look that far. I use 247 for rankings too because it’s all of them combined, so the info might not match if you use Rivals ESPN etc.

It is because we are recruiting the same type of linemen and skill guys as other teams. The length/size we now need matches what most teams need. Before we recruited the length/size we needed in the 3O offense, which is different than what most teams need. For example Shamire Devine was a 4* lineman and would have done well in the new offense. He was not a typical 3O lineman and struggled a bit in that offense.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Ding ding ding man you make to much sense you should not be allowed to post on here!