CGC Post Game Interview

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
LOL - How many coaches are at the same school they were at 5 years ago when this incoming class was in the 8th grade? What about when the current seniors were in 8th grade. Collins is the person that has anointed himself as the king of recruiting, not me. He is the one that chose an offense he could recruit to a high level with. A pro-style spread to get kids in the NFL. I don’t know how long GT is willing to wait on him to be successful, but I doubt it is long enough for current 8th graders to be juniors/seniors in college.

All I am pointing out is that people assume he is doing great at recruiting because he hypes it up. To date he has not made any significant strides in terms of landing elite talent.
Really? Since he’s been here he’s gotten 8 4 star players in one season. You realize we might not have had 8 4 stars on the field at one time last year. Only 2 of those 8 got to play this year too. 3 sat out and 3 more are coming in. For next year that’s 6 new 4 star players, plus maybe 2-3 more that Tech is supposed to add in the 2020 class. Also maybe another 4 Transfer TE who just visited. Collins is building a program running a player based scheme, pretty much the exact opposite of Paul’s way of running things. Both can succeed given the right tools, And that’s Collins job right now to get the tools.

GT11

GT Athlete
Really? Since he’s been here he’s gotten 8 4 star players in one season. You realize we might not have had 8 4 stars on the field at one time last year. Only 2 of those 8 got to play this year too. 3 sat out and 3 more are coming in. For next year that’s 6 new 4 star players, plus maybe 2-3 more that Tech is supposed to add in the 2020 class. Also maybe another 4 Transfer TE who just visited. Collins is building a program running a player based scheme, pretty much the exact opposite of Paul’s way of running things. Both can succeed given the right tools, And that’s Collins job right now to get the tools.
But can he coach them?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Reading posts like this give me so much hope for the future. It’s hard to embrace losing with only promises of the “process” working out 2, 3, maybe 4+ years down the road. You really can’t even judge the staff on gameday results yet. I know there’s been some questionable decisions (Citadel timeout, playing Yates, and whatnot) but based solely on results CGC and Co. still have pretty much a blank slate. No matter how much people want to say otherwise, this team was going to be bad even under CPJ. No returning production, a ton of early season ending injuries, and denied transfer waivers. There’s so much negative energy around the program right now it’s amazing CGC is doing the job he is in recruiting. Not only flipping HS kids, but getting some high profile transfers to come in. Even if it’s obvious CGC isn’t the guy for the job 4 years down the road, I really believe he will leave the program in much better shape than it was in when he came. I mean, if commitments hold up and there is some luck with injuries, he will have brought in 11 four star players in under a year.

But can he coach them?
Recruiting....it is about coaching. Do you think the Austin twins were highly recruited? they were 3 stars ranked 70th at their positions. They will go down in Tech history as some of our greatest hero's. How many games did they win for us. How many 4 and 5 star players are at a 6-6 Miami team. Seems that 2016 UGA team was loaded with 4 and 5 stars. How did that turn out. Football is all about coaching and scheme. And this will always be true at Tech.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL - How many coaches are at the same school they were at 5 years ago when this incoming class was in the 8th grade? What about when the current seniors were in 8th grade. Collins is the person that has anointed himself as the king of recruiting, not me. He is the one that chose an offense he could recruit to a high level with. A pro-style spread to get kids in the NFL. I don’t know how long GT is willing to wait on him to be successful, but I doubt it is long enough for current 8th graders to be juniors/seniors in college.

All I am pointing out is that people assume he is doing great at recruiting because he hypes it up. To date he has not made any significant strides in terms of landing elite talent.

I know a kid in South Georgia who was offered by Michigan in 8th grade. He is now considering GT as a junior. He never even gave GT a thought under Johnson. So, yes, Collins recruiting will make a huge difference but it takes a few years. Why do you think Bama, Florida, and Miss St hired him?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are right but all the ones you mentioned did the exact same thing, they left. Ross and O’Leary used their records/success here as a stepping stone and CPJ simply retired. There has to be something behind the scenes that are indicating to the coaches that the school isn’t serious about wholesale change, recommitment to athletics or our past sports excellence. If you don’t feel your boss is on your side you don’t see a reason to stay.

I don’t know what it is but it’s not T Stan, it’s higher. President, faculty, Board of Regents someone is putting a vibe out or much worse, someone is working against T Stan/ADs behind the scene.

I was once directed by the very top level in my office to work with IT and bring a system in that was modern and tracked work assignments, production levels and live location of files. I found out that a supervisor was directing them not to write the programs I was requesting because he had control of the old way we did things. When I informed the boss of this the boss was hesitant at best to confront the supervisor who was ultimately undercutting the directives I was being given, he won the game by stopping most of the new methods.

Human nature is to protect your own interest, someone at Tech is doing this and politics makes responding to established/ tenured 2nd level management effectively ( who are living their lives behind the scenes In the shadows ) very hard.

Someone at Tech disagrees with T Stan and opposes his moves and attempts from behind the scene

If CGC has any success, which is still to be determined (understatement), it is my prediction he will leave as well. Everything you say is true, but even with more commitment from the GT "Hill", it would still require a very tough minded HC.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Um, I would say Venables and his OCs have really stepped it up. Clemson has never lacked for Talent. But match talent with good schemes and coaching.....of course. But we will never be Clemson in our ability to get players.
I agree about Veneables and I think Thacker knows what he’s doing with our defense, just need new bodies in the front 7. As for offense I think Pnut will be out before 2021s. And one more thing, Tech is not trying to be Clemson or UGA just because we run schemes similar to them now. Tech is trying to be a Baylor, Minnesota, Auburn type team. 2nd biggest Team in state, smaller fan base, but wants to be a program that consistently beats teams we are supposed to and every few years really have a team capable of Challenging for ACC title. This is what was happening under Paul until DRad left and went to Clemson.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

Let’s see what it looks like after signing day and who leaves after the season. I just don’t see us bringing in the talent he hypes, especially on offense and in the trenches, but I hope I am wrong.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Let’s see what it looks like after signing day and who leaves after the season. I just don’t see us bringing in the talent he hypes, especially on offense and in the trenches, but I hope I am wrong.
3 Top 750 OL commits coming in is what I’m the most excited about. Unless your SEC or a Blueblood that’s pretty unheard of. Compare our Top couple of OL recruits with the rest of the ACC this year and the gap is closing fast.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If CGC has any success, which is still to be determined (understatement), it is my prediction he will leave as well. Everything you say is true, but even with more commitment from the GT "Hill", it would still require a very tough minded HC.

Yeah maybe but if he is successful and he leaves that seems to me to indicate that the “turnaround” is only on the surface. A real turnaround is a deep set total school thing, not just a coaches mindset.

If the school starts acting like they can do both, sports and education, with excellence, they shouldn’t lose a coach who says this is his dream job

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
George O'Leary once said GT wants to be Harvard Monday through Friday and FSU on Saturday. Unfortunately we know it doesn't work like that. He knew it and that's why he wanted to leave. Everyone can say all they want about O'Leary. Ralph will be the first one to tell you that he was a great FB coach and was the reason Tech had the success they had back then.
People here like to give all the credit to RF.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I know a kid in South Georgia who was offered by Michigan in 8th grade. He is now considering GT as a junior. He never even gave GT a thought under Johnson. So, yes, Collins recruiting will make a huge difference but it takes a few years. Why do you think Bama, Florida, and Miss St hired him?
I have no idea why they hired him. Why is he not head coaching any of those schools? With the exception of Bama the coach that was there during his time there are gone.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
You do realize we have the number 24 recruiting class in the country don't you? CGC is also trying his best to recruit the Atlanta area.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
3 Top 750 OL commits coming in is what I’m the most excited about. Unless your SEC or a Blueblood that’s pretty unheard of. Compare our Top couple of OL recruits with the rest of the ACC this year and the gap is closing fast.

They are top 750 because they fit the typical build of a spread lineman which most ACC teams have a stockpile of because they have ran some type of spread for some time. We targeted a different type of lineman with the 3O, so we need to take that many to run the offense we have now chosen. None are elite.

Maybe Collins has something great in store for us at signing day, but if we keep recruiting as he has we will just be a middle of tge road ACC team. A 5/14 which is what we have been.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
You do realize we have the number 24 recruiting class in the country don't you? CGC is also trying his best to recruit the Atlanta area.

You do realize we have 2 4* commitments and 19 3* commitments which is about what we have had for several years? The difference is the type of linemen, but the type we are going after happens to be what everyone else is going after instead of what we needed for the 3O.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
They are top 750 because they fit the typical build of a spread lineman which most ACC teams have a stockpile of because they have ran some type of spread for some time. We targeted a different type of lineman with the 3O, so we need to take that many to run the offense we have now chosen. None are elite.

Maybe Collins has something great in store for us at signing day, but if we keep recruiting as he has we will just be a middle of tge road ACC team. A 5/14 which is what we have been.
So recruiting 5th best in the conference behind the Defending Champs, 2 Florida Teams, and Mack Brown = Middle of the Road for Tech? I say if we keep recruiting this way we will have a chance in every game we play and not look out maned and undersized every time we play UGA and Clemson.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
You do realize we have 2 4* commitments and 19 3* commitments which is about what we have had for several years? The difference is the type of linemen, but the type we are going after happens to be what everyone else is going after instead of what we needed for the 3O.
Compare the 3 stars. Compare what they are ranked nationally and what offers they have. Not all 3 stars are alike, it’s simple if we were recruiting the same as always why are we in the Top 25 now?