CGC Post Game Interview

George O'Leary once said GT wants to be Harvard Monday through Friday and FSU on Saturday. Unfortunately we know it doesn't work like that. He knew it and that's why he wanted to leave. Everyone can say all they want about O'Leary. Ralph will be the first one to tell you that he was a great FB coach and was the reason Tech had the success they had back then.
People here like to give all the credit to RF.
Didn't the AD at the time, and under Gailey say Tech was destined to average 7-5. A lot of people gave him grief buttttttt so far he is spot on. Although 7-5 under one coach didn't seem to be the same under the next.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Compare the 3 stars. Compare what they are ranked nationally and what offers they have. Not all 3 stars are alike, it’s simple if we were recruiting the same as always why are we in the Top 25 now?

I get what you are saying, but the difference is the type of offense they are recruited for. Our “type” of linemen now matches the schools that we beat out for them. Before we needed linemen that could bend and scoop. Zone blocking guys with long arms were not recruited by us because we didn’t block that way. The difference is the need and the guys we are recruiting now didn’t usually fit what we needed on offense.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying, but the difference is the type of offense they are recruited for. Our “type” of linemen now matches the schools that we beat out for them. Before we needed linemen that could bend and scoop. Zone blocking guys with long arms were not recruited by us because we didn’t block that way. The difference is the need and the guys we are recruiting now didn’t usually fit what we needed on offense.
The real difference imo is now no high school coach and college coach can tell their players not to come here and use the Triple Option against us. It’s no secret the stigmas and misconceptions about the previous offense hurt the staff on the trail more then we wanted to admit.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The real difference imo is now no high school coach and college coach can tell their players not to come here and use the Triple Option against us. It’s no secret the stigmas and misconceptions about the previous offense hurt the staff on the trail more then we wanted to admit.

I know for a fact schools used that against us and it was a factor. On this we 100% agree.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Yea now College coaches will now tell recruits we can’t win now we don’t run 3O. They will tell the recruits the only reason we went to bowl games and competed for division championship was because of the 3O. Negative recruiting will still continue, it will just be a different message.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yea now College coaches will now tell recruits we can’t win now we don’t run 3O. They will tell the recruits the only reason we went to bowl games and competed for division championship was because of the 3O. Negative recruiting will still continue, it will just be a different message.
That’s a lot less damning of a message than, “They run an offense that will never get you to the NFL.” You can tell a recruit that same message about not winning about every school in the country besides Bama and Clemson. You could tell a recruit UGAg hasn’t won a championship in 40 years but it doesn’t really affect how many kids want to play there. There are way worse things for other programs to negatively recruit Tech than not winning.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Way harder to sell, the TO negative recruiting wasn’t about Wins and Loses, most of it was BS about making the NFL.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
That’s a lot less damning of a message than, “They run an offense that will never get you to the NFL.” You can tell a recruit that same message about not winning about every school in the country besides Bama and Clemson. You could tell a recruit UGAg hasn’t won a championship in 40 years but it doesn’t really affect how many kids want to play there. There are way worse things for other programs to negatively recruit Tech than not winning.
Way harder to sell, the TO negative recruiting wasn’t about Wins and Loses, most of it was BS about making the NFL.
I think it could be equally as damning, you’re not going to a bowl game the four years you are there and you are going to have a tough time getting drafted cause players don’t get drafted from 2-3 win teams. You could to point players that are/were in the NFL that played in the 3O. That is why next year needs to show a big improvement, cause if you go back to back 2-3 win seasons I think narrative will be hard to overcome. I actually think winning 2-3 a year will be harder hill to climb. If we are recruiting the same players I think I’m choosing the team that wins, plays in big games, and go to bowls.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I liked CPJ but he was a different type of recruiter hard nose. He really only had one assistant coach that seem to like to recruit and I think his area was mainly Tennessee

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
3 Top 750 OL commits coming in is what I’m the most excited about. Unless your SEC or a Blueblood that’s pretty unheard of. Compare our Top couple of OL recruits with the rest of the ACC this year and the gap is closing fast.
Actually if 750 is your cutoff, we have two. Valpulu is 760 but anyway here is a quick look at the other ACC schools (not clemson) NC State -1, NC - 2; BC -2; FS -1; Louisville -2; Miami - 1; Duke - 1; Pittsburgh - 2; Wake -1; VA, VTECH and Syracuse - 0.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how to read this. I did turnarounds in Corporate and if I told my boss, "Check back with me in three years and if you can't do that STFU" I'd been fired.

No. You have weekly, monthly, and quarterly reviews on EVERYTHING. Recruiting, development, APR, support, operations, strategy, staffing, etc. Geoff could do himself a big favor by trying to bring the fanbase with him instead of "We're building an elite program here, so check back with me in 3 years."
My comment wasn't meant for his boss that has oversight on coach's job, which you dont. If y'all can't understand how continually bashing our coaches and AD and calling for their firing before they have a chance to prove themselves, does nothing positive to support our efforts, I have nothing else to say to you. I have heard the same kind of bitching about Pastner and yet our basketball program is in the best shape than it has been in many years.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea why they hired him. Why is he not head coaching any of those schools? With the exception of Bama the coach that was there during his time there are gone.

He’s not head coaching them because they don’t hire inexperienced head coaches. I could easily see Collins coaching a factory in the future. He’s been an assistant at factories and hired away by other factories. He then took a low level head coaching job as is normal for a first time head coach. Now he’s at a P5 school. Once he proves himself here he’ll probably be lured away. That’s a pretty normal coaching progression. Saban’ first head coaching gig was Toledo then Mich. State.

Our last 3 head coaches were a retread NFL coach, a lower level coach, and now a factory assistant. We gave the others at least 7 years so Collins should be given a long leash. Now, if in year 7 he has a Hall of Famer on the offensive side and we lose 6-3 in the ACCCG then he’ll be gone.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it could be equally as damning, you’re not going to a bowl game the four years you are there and you are going to have a tough time getting drafted cause players don’t get drafted from 2-3 win teams. You could to point players that are/were in the NFL that played in the 3O. That is why next year needs to show a big improvement, cause if you go back to back 2-3 win seasons I think narrative will be hard to overcome. I actually think winning 2-3 a year will be harder hill to climb. If we are recruiting the same players I think I’m choosing the team that wins, plays in big games, and go to bowls.

I don't think you understand how difficult it was to recruit while CPJ was running the 3O here. Very few quality college prospects that any aspirations for the NFL were interested in playing in and practicing the 3O. Evidence the low number of All ACC players and draft picks we had in the CPJ era.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you understand how difficult it was to recruit while CPJ was running the 3O here. Very few quality college prospects that any aspirations for the NFL were interested in playing in and practicing the 3O. Evidence the low number of All ACC players and draft picks we had in the CPJ era.
I guess we will have to wait and see, but I don’t think you are going to see a lot guys beating down the door to play here if we are winning 2-3 games. Plus winning at GT is more important to me than how many players get drafted. I’m happy that players get drafted but that’s not at the top of my list. I would rather have 7-11 years finished 1st or 2nd than having more players drafted. If you can do both great. who got drafted last year doesn’t help me win games on Saturday this year.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how to read this. I did turnarounds in Corporate and if I told my boss, "Check back with me in three years and if you can't do that STFU" I'd been fired.

No. You have weekly, monthly, and quarterly reviews on EVERYTHING. Recruiting, development, APR, support, operations, strategy, staffing, etc. Geoff could do himself a big favor by trying to bring the fanbase with him instead of "We're building an elite program here, so check back with me in 3 years."
I agree, and I assume TStan and CGC have this conversation. Why does Collins need to provide that data to us though? Who knows, maybe TStan has told him not to. I feel like we should give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My comment wasn't meant for his boss that has oversight on coach's job, which you dont. If y'all can't understand how continually bashing our coaches and AD and calling for their firing before they have a chance to prove themselves, does nothing positive to support our efforts, I have nothing else to say to you. I have heard the same kind of bitching about Pastner and yet our basketball program is in the best shape than it has been in many years.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Sorry. It’s fair game to question coaching decisions. He’s not the Pope.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Can anyone tell me why we are not in conversation with a 4 and 5 star qb surely we can promise the opportunity to start