CGC Post Game Interview

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think it could be equally as damning, you’re not going to a bowl game the four years you are there and you are going to have a tough time getting drafted cause players don’t get drafted from 2-3 win teams. You could to point players that are/were in the NFL that played in the 3O. That is why next year needs to show a big improvement, cause if you go back to back 2-3 win seasons I think narrative will be hard to overcome. I actually think winning 2-3 a year will be harder hill to climb. If we are recruiting the same players I think I’m choosing the team that wins, plays in big games, and go to bowls.
Winning is not the only reason to go to a school. Otherwise nobody would ever sign to play at Arkansas, Vandy, UNC, Duke, Miami, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, etc. You have to consider how much playing time you’ll get, NFL potential, personal exposure, how much you value education, and so on. CGC and GT offer 2 of those boxes to check right now that haven’t necessarily been there with CPJ (early playing time and NFL potential) and that’s attractive). Obviously 3O players have made it to the NFL and had successful careers, but they are the exception and not the rule.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone tell me why we are not in conversation with a 4 and 5 star qb surely we can promise the opportunity to start
I'll answer this one 2 reasons

Avg points per game 16.5 and
th

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess we will have to wait and see, but I don’t think you are going to see a lot guys beating down the door to play here if we are winning 2-3 games. Plus winning at GT is more important to me than how many players get drafted. I’m happy that players get drafted but that’s not at the top of my list. I would rather have 7-11 years finished 1st or 2nd than having more players drafted. If you can do both great. who got drafted last year doesn’t help me win games on Saturday this year.

Your point is valid if we continue to only win 2-3 games. This is one season not 3 or 4 so you are a little premature in that comment. I’m with you on the idea that I don’t care one bit what a player does in the NFL as I only care about GT football. But, I also realize that the NFL does matter to 14-18 year old players so I’m totally on board with the NFL schtick that Collins uses. Whatever it takes with getting quality players to GT I’m all for it and Collins knows that is all that matters right now.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah maybe but if he is successful and he leaves that seems to me to indicate that the “turnaround” is only on the surface. A real turnaround is a deep set total school thing, not just a coaches mindset.

If the school starts acting like they can do both, sports and education, with excellence, they shouldn’t lose a coach who says this is his dream job

If he is being 100% sincere, sure.

Animal02

Banned
I think it could be equally as damning, you’re not going to a bowl game the four years you are there and you are going to have a tough time getting drafted cause players don’t get drafted from 2-3 win teams. You could to point players that are/were in the NFL that played in the 3O. That is why next year needs to show a big improvement, cause if you go back to back 2-3 win seasons I think narrative will be hard to overcome. I actually think winning 2-3 a year will be harder hill to climb. If we are recruiting the same players I think I’m choosing the team that wins, plays in big games, and go to bowls.
The whole NFL prep is such a frikkin gimmick. The NFL finds the talent regardless of where it came from. One of the Dallas Cowboy captains played at Saginaw Valley, a middle of the road D2 school.

Jmonty71

Banned
not much juice and waffle housing going on in this choo choo wreck

Having said that... still a big fan of CGC. It’s going to take a LOT more time than I anticipated

Best team we played, since Temple? Man we have a low ceiling of expectations!! He made it sound like VT was a playoff contender. I wished he would stop saying we are executing at a high level. No we're not! Comments are sacred?? He is completely full of BS... Same crap, same sayings, different game. At what point do people stop falling for this??

Tell the truth!! "We don't have the players to play the scheme I want to play... We aren't physical enough on either front. Our O line and D line are too small to play pro style systems.... Seriously.. Stop making lame excuses and just be upfront and honest. I really am tired of hearing his lame excuses. We all know, we lack talent, size, speed and skills.."

As a coach he should worry about the results! Results mean Ws. You don't have or get enough W's, you become unemployed. Maybe I am the only person, that understand this................

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Best team we played, since Temple? Man we have a low ceiling of expectations!! He made it sound like VT was a playoff contender. I wished he would stop saying we are executing at a high level. No we're not! Comments are sacred?? He is completely full of BS... Same crap, same sayings, different game. At what point do people stop falling for this??

Tell the truth!! "We don't have the players to play the scheme I want to play... We aren't physical enough on either front. Our O line and D line are too small to play pro style systems.... Seriously.. Stop making lame excuses and just be upfront and honest. I really am tired of hearing his lame excuses. We all know, we lack talent, size, speed and skills.."

As a coach he should worry about the results! Results mean Ws. You don't have or get enough W's, you become unemployed. Maybe I am the only person, that understand this................
Please don't make too much sense. You'll offend the optimists that think CGC has rainbows and gumdrops falling out of his ***.

Animal02

Banned

When do people stop falling for it?

What is the koolaid supply at the local Kroger's? ;)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

I understand why you want him to just be honest and frank about the situation. But if you’re going to be a player first coach, you can’t come out and say “We’re just not talented enough in certain areas to compete.” It would ruin his reputation of backing his players, and it would start to turn the team against him. The truth is that the press conferences are literally meaningless. They’re only there so reporters can get one out of context sound byte to write a story on. The truth is that only the team and a certain few others truly know what’s going on behind closed doors. Maybe he is telling the team everyday that they’re not big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to compete. Maybe he’s using that as motivation for the guys that will be coming back and competing against more highly recruited freshmen. But he can’t just blast them in front of the media and still pretend like he’s being true to his players.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand why you want him to just be honest and frank about the situation. But if you’re going to be a player first coach, you can’t come out and say “We’re just not talented enough in certain areas to compete.” It would ruin his reputation of backing his players, and it would start to turn the team against him. The truth is that the press conferences are literally meaningless. They’re only there so reporters can get one out of context sound byte to write a story on. The truth is that only the team and a certain few others truly know what’s going on behind closed doors. Maybe he is telling the team everyday that they’re not big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to compete. Maybe he’s using that as motivation for the guys that will be coming back and competing against more highly recruited freshmen. But he can’t just blast them in front of the media and still pretend like he’s being true to his players.

Yea. No reason to call players out public ally. Paul did that at times and it elicits negative reactions as well. When you’re 2-8 you are not going to win the press conferences no matter what you say.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

You are not his audience so if you are getting that worked up about it then I’d suggest you stop listening. His only audience is high school players. And anyone who has watched sports more than a year has figured out that press conferences are worthless and no one tells the truth. Coach Johnson never told the truth. He danced around it like they all do. Collins is singularly focused on bringing in better players than we have so he is going to keep selling at every opportunity (radio, TV, press conferences). It does no one any good for him to throw his current players under the bus even though he already knows he’ll be processing about 15 per year.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
You are not his audience so if you are getting that worked up about it then I’d suggest you stop listening. His only audience is high school players. And anyone who has watched sports more than a year has figured out that press conferences are worthless and no one tells the truth. Coach Johnson never told the truth. He danced around it like they all do. Collins is singularly focused on bringing in better players than we have so he is going to keep selling at every opportunity (radio, TV, press conferences). It does no one any good for him to throw his current players under the bus even though he already knows he’ll be processing about 15 per year.

How you do one thing is how you do everything.
- Coach Collins

He can do both. He doesn't have to throw players under the bus, while still giving more meaningful answers to the issues compounding the team's struggles.

Again, why bring up Temple at all? It makes no sense to me. There are no team achievements there for Tech fans to hope for. So, why?

Jmonty71

Banned
I guess I'm not. However; when he has to talk up a 6-3 team, as if they were a playoff contender, that is too much. It's spinning that fact that we can't compete, right now. Instead of just saying we are being out-coached and out-played, he is over praising other teams. I truly understand that we are not properly fitted to run the offense his wants to run. But, don't sugar coat it. As my mom used to say. You can put frosting on a pile of crap, but when it comes down to it, it's still crap. I guess, I just don't get it.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'm not. However; when he has to talk up a 6-3 team, as if they were a playoff contender, that is too much. It's spinning that fact that we can't compete, right now. Instead of just saying we are being out-coached and out-played, he is over praising other teams. I truly understand that we are not properly fitted to run the offense his wants to run. But, don't sugar coat it. As my mom used to say. You can put frosting on a pile of crap, but when it comes down to it, it's still crap. I guess, I just don't get it.

We all know it’s crap right now. He was hired to take us from crap to wins. Sure, his language is over the top but has to quickly get his message out to high school players and young kids prefer sugar on crap. Imagine if he told the truth and stated to the GT nation that it’s going to take 5 years to bring in quality players to actually compete against UGA and Clemson. These boards would be in melt mode more than now. But if you look at the average recruiting classes of 25 players - 5-8 will never make it due to grades, weed, etc. 10 will never make the two deep. That leaves 8 to 10 out of 25 that may contribute at some point. Over 4 years that’s about 40 players who actually determine the win/losses. Next year is going to be just as rough.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Temple being any good is more to do with Matt Rhule than Collins. If anything, he brought the quality down. Most of those guys are Rhule recruits so he can just stop beating that stupid drum. Tired of hearing about Temple.