CFP Discussion

CEB

Helluva Engineer
FSU will use that as leverage as to why they need to expedite leaving the ACC.

They'll cry about it, but they also need to honor the GOR they signed.
Yup… they’ll try for sure. Sucks for them!
I believe it was the folks in Tallahassee that were saying how they can’t compete with the big boys if they are stuck in the ACC… well, guess what?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yup… they’ll try for sure. Sucks for them!
I believe it was the folks in Tallahassee that were saying how they can’t compete with the big boys if they are stuck in the ACC… well, guess what?
Thy helped screw themselves for sure, but I'm more upset at the indignity given the ACC on behalf of the SECheat at the hands of the "committee." I guess the Crapstone Mafia is more feared than the Tobacco Road Mafia.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So the SEC has obviously significant control the whole CFP process, etc.
Today is what happens when you have 6-7 good teams and 4 playoff spots. It will be similar for the 13th team next yea.

I’m curious though. How exactly is the SEC “controlling“ the process? The roster for CFP is the following folks:
  • Retired, former head football coach and director of athletics at the University of Nevada.
  • Athletics Director, University of Kentucky.
  • Director of Athletics, NC State.
  • Director of Athletics, U.S. Naval Academy.
  • Retired, former head coach for Baylor University (2016), Wake Forest University (2001-2013), and Ohio University (1995-2000).
  • Athletics Director, University of Utah.
  • Director of Athletics, University of Michigan.
  • Director of Athletics, Miami University (Ohio).
  • Retired NFL player, former player University of Nebraska (1993).
  • Director of Athletics, Kansas State.
  • Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University.
  • Group President, Utility Operations for Entergy Corporation.
  • Professor, Montclair State University, sports writer
These guys are all pulling for the SEC?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Today is what happens when you have 6-7 good teams and 4 playoff spots. It will be similar for the 13th team next yea.

I’m curious though. How exactly is the SEC “controlling“ the process? The roster for CFP is the following folks:
  • Retired, former head football coach and director of athletics at the University of Nevada.
  • Retired, former head coach for Baylor University (2016), Wake Forest University (2001-2013), and Ohio University (1995-2000).
  • Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University.
The SEC Narrative is now very deeply ingrained in the thinking of CFB. Thank sEcSPN for that.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

ESPN is controlling the process for the SEC. Even before the games started yesterday they were heavily pushing the Alabama over FSU narrative. Travis getting injured just allowed a convenient excuse to allow Bama to jump them. Bama was going to jump them even if Travis was healthy. FSU never had any realistic chance of making the playoffs if Bama won. If anything Bama winning got Texas in, so Texas can thank them for that. They weren't going to jump FSU otherwise.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Thy helped screw themselves for sure, but I'm more upset at the indignity given the ACC on behalf of the SECheat at the hands of the "committee." I guess the Crapstone Mafia is more feared than the Tobacco Road Mafia.
No doubt.
For what its worth, I believe all of these to be true:

1. It was an awful decision by the committee.
2. It wouldn’t have happened but for the SEC potentially being left out.
3. It probably wouldn’t have happened if this weren’t the last year of the system (it defies past precedent and would set a precedent going forward if this weren’t the last year).
6. It was definitely a slight to the ACC
7. It is ironic and funny that FSU pretty much led the campaign against themselves as the scenario played out
8. Bigger picture, FSU is probably right that being in the ACC doesn’t look like a good long term situation for teams that want to compete at the highest level of college football.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
ESPN is controlling the process for the SEC. Even before the games started yesterday they were heavily pushing the Alabama over FSU narrative. Travis getting injured just allowed a convenient excuse to allow Bama to jump them. Bama was going to jump them even if Travis was healthy. FSU never had any realistic chance of making the playoffs if Bama won. If anything Bama winning got Texas in, so Texas can thank them for that. They weren't going to jump FSU otherwise.
FSU would've been in with Travis. Texas would've been left out if that was the case. There was zero shot an SEC team would've been left out. Even if Bama lost to Auburn and beat Georgia, Georgia would've been in.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
FSU would've been in with Travis. Texas would've been left out if that was the case. There was zero shot an SEC team would've been left out. Even if Bama lost to Auburn and beat Georgia, Georgia would've been in.
Exactly. The only reason Texas was in was because Bama was in.
You’re looking for a basis and reasoning when it’s just the result they wanted the working backwards.
Had uga won, I fully believe it would have been

ugag
Michigan
Udub
Fsu

Setting up the probable 10/sec championship clash for the title.
once Bama ruined that, FSU was sacrificed, because you can’t get Bama in and not let Texas in.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
i don't think Alabama would have been in over Tx. if they were the final position. But it is disappointing that FSU was given little consideration of how they would play with QB2 vs. QB3

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You can thank Jim Phillips for blocking the playoff expansion.

This all goes away next year … finally. I’m still looking forward to seeing some great games.
The SECheat Narrative has been around for a dozen years or more. It predated Phillips by a long shot. It was propagated by sEcSPN to maximize their investment in SECheat TV. The great swath of rednecks running from east Texas to S Carolina and from Missouri to Florida will lap it up like newborn pups. They will buy merchandise like crazy and watch ESPN non-stop for days... as long as sEcSPN makes them feel validated - which they do at every opportunity. Meanwhile, the cha-ching you hear in Bristol is that big jack rolling in. Roll Tide Roll!

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
While this is not the outcome I wanted, it is the one I predicted. I am not surprised as there is bias for the SEC and there is no way they would be left out of the playoffs. Because Texas won their championship game and beat Bama earlier, they had to screw FSU and the ACC to justify keeping the SEC in the playoff. It is complete BS, but I expected it.