CFP Discussion

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
No doubt.
For what its worth, I believe all of these to be true:

1. It was an awful decision by the committee.
2. It wouldn’t have happened but for the SEC potentially being left out.
3. It probably wouldn’t have happened if this weren’t the last year of the system (it defies past precedent and would set a precedent going forward if this weren’t the last year).
6. It was definitely a slight to the ACC
7. It is ironic and funny that FSU pretty much led the campaign against themselves as the scenario played out
8. Bigger picture, FSU is probably right that being in the ACC doesn’t look like a good long term situation for teams that want to compete at bush-league professional football.
My only quibble with this is fixed above in bold.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The SECheat Narrative has been around for a dozen years or more. It predated Phillips by a long shot. It was propagated by sEcSPN to maximize their investment in SECheat TV. The great swath of rednecks running from east Texas to S Carolina and from Missouri to Florida will lap it up like newborn pups. They will buy merchandise like crazy and watch ESPN non-stop for days... as long as sEcSPN makes them feel validated - which they do at every opportunity. Meanwhile, the cha-ching you hear in Bristol is that big jack rolling in. Roll Tide Roll!
Regardless of the SEC, Phillips had the opportunity to get to an expanded playoff THIS year. He blocked it. Otherwise, FSU was in.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The SECheat Narrative has been around for a dozen years or more. It predated Phillips by a long shot. It was propagated by sEcSPN to maximize their investment in SECheat TV. The great swath of rednecks running from east Texas to S Carolina and from Missouri to Florida will lap it up like newborn pups. They will buy merchandise like crazy and watch ESPN non-stop for days... as long as sEcSPN makes them feel validated - which they do at every opportunity. Meanwhile, the cha-ching you hear in Bristol is that big jack rolling in. Roll Tide Roll!
It seems uncomfortably true that the more rednecks needing self validation you have the larger the fan base buying up swag. Some groups seem especially suited to exploitation.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of the SEC, Phillips had the opportunity to get to an expanded playoff THIS year. He blocked it. Otherwise, FSU was in.
What does it matter anymore? Five of the twelve teams would be SECheat or almost SECheat teams. Can't you see? This is all a set-up for the validation of those who know of nothing else for deriving their self-image. I'm done. I have a different Source.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Other than the fact that 5 of the 12 teams would be SECheat teams. While CFB slept soundly, the SECheat totally wrapped up CFB in its tight little web.
5 next year but only 4 this year.
Having watched a lot of football this year I wouldn’t argue with Mizzou or Ole Miss being in there.

Guess what, we aren’t winning any beauty contests, so how many sec teams are in doesn’t matter. What matters is the autobid. That is our chance

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
5 next year but only 4 this year.
Having watched a lot of football this year I wouldn’t argue with Mizzou or Ole Miss being in there.

Guess what, we aren’t winning any beauty contests, so how many sec teams are in doesn’t matter. What matters is the autobid. That is our chance
It's 5 if you count Texas as a partly-SECheat school which they are. Welcome to the SECheat Matrix. I see you chose the blue pill.

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan
Today is what happens when you have 6-7 good teams and 4 playoff spots. It will be similar for the 13th team next yea.

I’m curious though. How exactly is the SEC “controlling“ the process? The roster for CFP is the following folks:
  • Retired, former head football coach and director of athletics at the University of Nevada.
  • Athletics Director, University of Kentucky.
  • Director of Athletics, NC State.
  • Director of Athletics, U.S. Naval Academy.
  • Retired, former head coach for Baylor University (2016), Wake Forest University (2001-2013), and Ohio University (1995-2000).
  • Athletics Director, University of Utah.
  • Director of Athletics, University of Michigan.
  • Director of Athletics, Miami University (Ohio).
  • Retired NFL player, former player University of Nebraska (1993).
  • Director of Athletics, Kansas State.
  • Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University.
  • Group President, Utility Operations for Entergy Corporation.
  • Professor, Montclair State University, sports writer
These guys are all pulling for the SEC?

Do I have proof the SEC is controlling the CFP process - of course not. It’s purely my conspiracy theory jadedness. There is so much money at stake that I cannot help but believe there is some orchestrated manipulation going on. In other words - I wouldn’t trust anyone. But again to answer you - I have no basis or proof other than my distrust of the big conferences, schools, networks, CFP, etc.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Other than the fact that 5 of the 12 teams would be SECheat teams. While CFB slept soundly, the SECheat totally wrapped up CFB in its tight little web.
A testimony to how far sighted the SEC was. They knew that in the future attracting athletes to their schools would have to depend on more than just conference trophies. Now they can say, “And you’re almost guaranteed a shot at a national championship.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Do I have proof the SEC is controlling the CFP process - of course not. It’s purely my conspiracy theory jadedness. There is so much money at stake that I cannot help but believe there is some orchestrated manipulation going on. In other words - I wouldn’t trust anyone. But again to answer you - I have no basis or proof other than my distrust of the big conferences, schools, networks, CFP, etc.
No proof other than two data points.

1. The SEC has lobbied hard for the last 50 years that their teams should be considered better than teams of lesser conferences and this lobbying has always paid off handsomely.

2. Money seems to always win out.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No proof other than two data points.

1. The SEC has lobbied hard for the last 50 years that their teams should be considered better than teams of lesser conferences and this lobbying has always paid off handsomely.

2. Money seems to always win out.
I’ll bite.

The number one school in terms of fan viewership is Ohio State. But does the SEC want its product promoted? Sure.

SEC schools cooperate across schools. Others don’t. Explained to me, (example), say Alabama is playing @ Texas A&M. The AD at A&M becomes an extension of Alabama. Need hotel rooms? Got it. Need facilities? Got it. Logistics? Check.

No billing. “We all work together to our mutual benefit.” A lot of conferences say, screw that.

Add in that LSU is the number one school in terms of NFL talent, followed by Alabama… it’s not hard to see the 80/20 rule in play.

As a longtime business leader and marketer, I would tell any business (or conference), “stop dissing your competition and improve your product.”

Fun story. My brother in law is a big deal at Alabama and visited during last week’s Iron Bowl. I asked his impression. “Auburn does, imo, the best game day experience I can recall. Better than Bama. It’s really, really good.”

I am a child of Tech when they had a heavy, SEC bent. That’s long gone and I accept many on this board hate the SEC. But I will give kudos to the SEC for consistently improving what they do. The ACC shoutdo do likewise. I thought Jim Phillips comments today were totally counterproductive… but … whatever.

Flame away folks. I’m used to it.

Viewership:
  1. Ohio State (5.19M)
  2. Alabama (5.09M)
  3. Michigan (4.18M)
  4. Notre Dame (3.61M)
  5. LSU (3.22M)
  6. Auburn (3.12M)
  7. Georgia (2.91M)
  8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
  9. Clemson (2.67M)
  10. Penn State (2.55M)
  11. Florida (2.46M)
  12. Wisconsin (2.27M)
  13. Texas (2.269M)
  14. Florida State (2.23M)
  15. Michigan State (2.20M)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’ll bite.

The number one school in terms of fan viewership is Ohio State. But does the SEC want its product promoted? Sure.

SEC schools cooperate across schools. Others don’t. Explained to me, (example), say Alabama is playing @ Texas A&M. The AD at A&M becomes an extension of Alabama. Need hotel rooms? Got it. Need facilities? Got it. Logistics? Check.

No billing. “We all work together to our mutual benefit.” A lot of conferences say, screw that.

Add in that LSU is the number one school in terms of NFL talent, followed by Alabama… it’s not hard to see the 80/20 rule in play.

As a longtime business leader and marketer, I would tell any business (or conference), “stop dissing your competition and improve your product.”

Fun story. My brother in law is a big deal at Alabama and visited during last week’s Iron Bowl. I asked his impression. “Auburn does, imo, the best game day experience I can recall. Better than Bama. It’s really, really good.”

I am a child of Tech when they had a heavy, SEC bent. That’s long gone and I accept many on this board hate the SEC. But I will give kudos to the SEC for consistently improving what they do. The ACC shoutdo do likewise. I thought Jim Phillips comments today were totally counterproductive… but … whatever.

Flame away folks. I’m used to it.

Viewership:
  1. Ohio State (5.19M)
  2. Alabama (5.09M)
  3. Michigan (4.18M)
  4. Notre Dame (3.61M)
  5. LSU (3.22M)
  6. Auburn (3.12M)
  7. Georgia (2.91M)
  8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
  9. Clemson (2.67M)
  10. Penn State (2.55M)
  11. Florida (2.46M)
  12. Wisconsin (2.27M)
  13. Texas (2.269M)
  14. Florida State (2.23M)
  15. Michigan State (2.20M)
Not sure what we are arguing about. I fully embrace the fact that the SEC promotes its product and looks out for its own, something the ACC fails to do and why I would leave it for the B1G in a heartbeat. The fact that the SEC’s approach pays off in preferential treatment still bothers me though when it trumps on the field records.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what we are arguing about. I fully embrace the fact that the SEC promotes its product and looks out for its own, something the ACC fails to do and why I would leave it for the B1G in a heartbeat. The fact that the SEC’s approach pays off in preferential treatment still bothers me though when it trumps on the field records.
Fair.

In full disclosure.. I don’t think Bama should’ve gotten in.

But …

1. FSU won 13 games against opponents who posted a net losing record. Bama didn’t.

2. FSU is acting like children. Suing the ACC, suing the NCAA, striking out at everyone… does not earn you friends. They are VERY troublesome and won’t find a home in the SEC. “They are a$$holes … ” and does that color their reputation? I don’t know. It sure as heck doesn’t help.

Personally, I find the whole CFB system as inefficient and unfair. But .. it is what it is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Heisman hated this aspect of the game. He really believed a win was a win. But sports writers thought otherwise so Heisman scheduled the 222-0 Cumberland game.

The point was lost on the pundits apparently.
I’ve always respected your posts. Still, this isn’t new. I can remember the politicking for ratings in the 60s.

I still think it’s good advice. Stop dissing your competitors and work on improving your product.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I find the whole CFB system as inefficient and unfair. But .. it is what it is.
We don’t normally agree a lot, but this statement sums it all up. It’s really a strange sport given the lack of rules and enforcement of the rules. A champion gets crowned based on either computer simulations or random people voting for who they think is the best.

The reality is that intercollegiate sports were never supposed to become this serious or this large of a business (or a business at all). The original idea was to create more well-rounded students and build the school and its alumni a community to keep everyone connected. The intention was never to crown a champion, especially not on a national scale. But then the snowball started rolling down the hill and we ended up with bowl games, and media polls, and coaches polls, and computer polls, and a bonafide “national championship game”, and then a playoff, and now an expansion on that playoff.

They’ve built up an empire on a foundation made of a couple of popsicle sticks. None of it is just or fair because it wasn’t intended to be played on this scale. Every step of the way the powers that be have tried to innovate while keeping the original traditions instead of rebuilding from the ground up and doing it right. The whole thing has turned into a Jenga game. Taking pieces out of the foundation and putting them in new places, trying not to topple the whole thing over. It’s easy to start: bowl games & polls. Then it gets harder, and the tower starts rocking more: conference realignment, computer polls, the need to crown a definitive champion. Now we’re at the point where every single piece that gets moved could be the one that ends it all: transfer portal, NIL, mega-conferences, the playoffs, etc. The tower is about to come crashing down in a hurry. How they pick up the pieces will be very interesting.