CFP Discussion

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I truly believe the committee is afraid of leaving out the sec
I don‘t think that’s an issue. Only 1 member is affiliated with the SEC. I think there are 3 or so affiliated the ACC.

This reminds me of Auburn’s 1983 team. The team capped an 11–1 season, with a 9–7 victory over 3-loss Michigan in the Sugar Bowl. Auburn had played the toughest schedule in the nation, including nine bowl teams, eight of which were ranked in the top 20 (five in the top ten).

Still, Miami jumped from 5th from the AP and 4th from the UPI Coaches' poll to claim the AP/UPI Coaches' National Championship award. My neighbor played on that team and is still pissed.

These things happen.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Nah… this was 100% about making sure the SEC was taken care of.
If uga beats Bama, FSU is an easy #4. They didn’t have the balls to do the right thing IMO.
It’s time to call it like it is and quite simply if you’re not BiG or SEC, you don’t matter. Just let those two conf champs play for the right to call themselves national champ and drop the whole facade.
How do you explain Cincinnati then?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Here's the best team(s) from left out P5 conferences for each CFP season:

2014: No B12 - BU (11-1); TCU (11-1)
2015: No P12 - Stanford (12-2)
2016: No B12 - OU (11-2)
2017: No B10 - OSU (12-2); No P12 - USC (11-3)
2018: No B10 - OSU (13-1); No P12 - WSU (11-2)
2019: No P12 - UO (12-2)
2020: No B12 - OU (8-2); No P12 - USC (5-1)
2021: No ACC - CU (10-3); No B12 - BU (12-2); No P12 - Utah (10-4)
2022: No ACC - FSU (10-3); No P12 - UW (11-2)
2023: No ACC - FSU (13-0)

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU getting left out after 200 yards of offense is no surprise. Sucks for them but the writing was on the wall, everyone on that team knew that needed to look really good, and they looked bad. Pleasantly surprised they didn’t figure out a way to get Georgia in.

What crazy timing - until this year there was talk that a 12 team playoff wasn’t needed since 4 vs 5 was rarely the interesting or critical part of the debate. Good thing I don’t like FSU anyway.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
FSU getting left out after 200 yards of offense is no surprise. Sucks for them but the writing was on the wall, everyone on that team knew that needed to look really good, and they looked bad. Pleasantly surprised they didn’t figure out a way to get Georgia in.

What crazy timing - until this year there was talk that a 12 team playoff wasn’t needed since 4 vs 5 was rarely the interesting or critical part of the debate. Good thing I don’t like FSU anyway.
Hmmm. You’d think there’s only offense, but last I checked defense matters, too.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
12 is still too many, and it doesn’t even solve the problem. FSU just played an extra game that most of the teams who would’ve got into a 12 team playoff didn’t have to play. Teams like Ohio State, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Penn State would get to walk into the playoffs fresh, and FSU wouldn’t. The whole system is stupid and doesn’t make any sense. I’m not even sure the current 4 team system or the future 12 team format are better than just having pollsters pick a champion. That’s basically what they’re still doing anyway with the CFP rankings.

The BCS was the best format college football has ever used, and they should’ve never went away from it.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmmm. You’d think there’s only offense, but last I checked defense matters, too.
Wasn’t someone from their D who got injured. Doesn’t matter last year, but this year it was an excuse handed to the committee on a silver platter.

Good news is it doesn’t matter next year either.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Dude! Beating the #15 ranked team with your true freshman 3rd string QB who had thrown a total of 4 passes in college football should be an advertisement for how *good* you are, not that you should be left out. SMH.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
12 is still too many, and it doesn’t even solve the problem. FSU just played an extra game that most of the teams who would’ve got into a 12 team playoff didn’t have to play. Teams like Ohio State, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Penn State would get to walk into the playoffs fresh, and FSU wouldn’t. The whole system is stupid and doesn’t make any sense. I’m not even sure the current 4 team system or the future 12 team format are better than just having pollsters pick a champion. That’s basically what they’re still doing anyway with the CFP rankings.

The BCS was the best format college football has ever used, and they should’ve never went away from it.
I agree that conference championship games don’t make sense in a world of megaconferences and larger playoffs.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Aside from the weird ucf year, the committee has mostly held to the standard of an undefeated team + conference winner as one that gets it. If Alabama were also undefeated I could see a case for them. But FSU on paper met the criteria that the committee as used as a baseline for so long.

Hearing the committee backtrack on their own standards is what makes this a joke. You never know if they will hold to their standards or not

I know you can argue that fsu is crippled right now and could get blown out. But their.second stringer will be back in by the time these games go on.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
FSU's 2nd QB would be well and would have had a lot of reps before CFP games started. Him being 20% better and using wildcat scheme would make fsu well, especially considering their D.
It’s crazy to me how the committee has set themselves up for so much second guessing whereas they could have just used on the field results and at least had a simpler defense. It really feels like they were more scared of leaving out the SEC than leaving out FSU.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s crazy to me how the committee has set themselves up for so much second guessing whereas they could have just used on the field results and at least had a simpler defense. It really feels like they were more scared of leaving out the SEC than leaving out FSU.
Wasn’t the ACC one of the conferences that voted against expanding the playoff this year? Karma.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I agree it seems clear that the “SEC” weight was given undue influence in this decision.

It’s unacceptable to me that our conference was snubbed this way. They won their games. Every single one. For them to have moved down in ranking defies my sense of fairness and balance. Bama jumped up multiple spots to slide in and it does not seem defendable.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

“Everyone knew…”

Hmm, then explain the signs at the game that said, “Win and You’re In.” With the SEC bias I guess we knew there was a chance things could get screwed up but name another time when an undefeated major conference champion was snubbed. No, their only mission was to win, heal up, and then trounce the snot out of someone for a championship which I believe they would have done.