CFP Discussion

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Not respecting the PAC 12 this year is silly. They are a good conference.
Root, it looked that way early on, but the conference has moderated a lot in recent weeks. UW and UO are for real, beyond that Arizona has come on lately

For example, prior ranked P12 teams, USC, Utah, UCLA, and WSU are now 7-5, 7-4, 7-4, and 5-6 respectively. Neither Utah nor UCLA have beaten a team that is still ranked. USC hasn't beaten a ranked team, period. WSU somehow managed to beat OSU before losing 6 IAR, however, they also beat Wiscy early, but Wiscy is now 6-5, just like us.

Their two pretty-good teams are Arizona and OSU. Arizona has come on lately, but that surge includes wins over WSU (unranked 5-6), UCLA (now unranked 7-4), and Utah (now unranked 7-4). They, like WSU, managed to beat OSU. However, OSU, like Utah and UCLA, hasn't beaten a team that is still ranked.

I will say this: The P12 is better this year than in previous years, with both UW and UO having great seasons. Can those two top dogs stand up to the likes of UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, and/or Louisville? I dunno. Beyond that, I think the second tier of any other conference just might have their way with OSU and Arizona. That would be NCSU and UNC in the ACC, Missouri and Ole Miss in the SEC, Penn State and Iowa in the B1G, and OSU and KSU in the B12. Perhaps the bowls will tell us.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Root, it looked that way early on, but the conference has moderated a lot in recent weeks. UW and UO are for real, beyond that Arizona has come on lately

For example, prior ranked P12 teams, USC, Utah, UCLA, and WSU are now 7-5, 7-4, 7-4, and 5-6 respectively. Neither Utah nor UCLA have beaten a team that is still ranked. USC hasn't beaten a ranked team, period. WSU somehow managed to beat OSU before losing 6 IAR, however, they also beat Wiscy early, but Wiscy is now 6-5, just like us.

Their two pretty-good teams are Arizona and OSU. Arizona has come on lately, but that surge includes wins over WSU (unranked 5-6), UCLA (now unranked 7-4), and Utah (now unranked 7-4). They, like WSU, managed to beat OSU. However, OSU, like Utah and UCLA, hasn't beaten a team that is still ranked.

I will say this: The P12 is better this year than in previous years, with both UW and UO having great seasons. Can those two top dogs stand up to the likes of UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, and/or Louisville? I dunno. Beyond that, I think the second tier of any other conference just might have their way with OSU and Arizona. That would be NCSU and UNC in the ACC, Missouri and Ole Miss in the SEC, Penn State and Iowa in the B1G, and OSU and KSU in the B12. Perhaps the bowls will tell us.
Utah is 7-4 because they lost to four ranked teams.
Three of 7-4 UCLA's loses are to ranked teams.
WSU was undefeated until they started playing PAC teams every week. And the wisconsin team they beat is ranked.
Four of USC's five losses are to ranked teams.

In every conference there will be teams with losses. It's a zero sum game.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Utah is 7-4 because they lost to four ranked teams.
Three of 7-4 UCLA's loses are to ranked teams.
WSU was undefeated until they started playing PAC teams every week. And the wisconsin team they beat is ranked.
Four of USC's five losses are to ranked teams.

In every conference there will be teams with losses. It's a zero sum game.
I said "no longer ranked." Neither USC (7-5), UCLA (7-4), Utah (7-4), WSU (5-6), nor Wisconsin (6-5) are currently ranked. They are middling teams, with middling records, just like GA Tech. They are not "good wins" that make a team that beats them better having beaten them. They are just conference wins.

As for UCLA, they lost to OSU (now ranked 15) and Arizona (now ranked 16). Utah and WSU, whom they beat, are no longer ranked and are not real good teams. OSU has not beaten any team that is currently ranked. AU has beaten OSU, currently #15 - but which has not beaten any currently ranked team.

You last statement is true but has little bearing on the supposed best teams in conference.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

I would pick the second tier of P12 over the ACC, B1G and call it a draw with the SEC (Ole Miss and LSU). You get down past the top 4 I think the P12 has the most dangerous teams.

I haven’t watched enough B12 to really comment on them. Actually I have watched zero B12 games whereas I have watched a lot from the other 4 P5 conferences.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I would pick the second tier of P12 over the ACC, B1G and call it a draw with the SEC (Ole Miss and LSU). You get down past the top 4 I think the P12 has the most dangerous teams.

I haven’t watched enough B12 to really comment on them. Actually I have watched zero B12 games whereas I have watched a lot from the other 4 P5 conferences.
I’ve watched a little P12 and haven’t been overly impressed beyond the feeling that teams like OSU are better than usual. Oregon and UW are the real deal. USC and UCLA not so much. Utah and Arizona I really haven’t seen much.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’ve watched a little P12 and haven’t been overly impressed beyond the feeling that teams like OSU are better than usual. Oregon and UW are the real deal. USC and UCLA not so much. Utah and Arizona I really haven’t seen much.
Most of the people involved in rankings haven’t watched near the amount of P12 games as they have SEC/ACCor B1G games. Those 10:30 pm start times don’t draw many East/Midwest eyeballs. When 4 of the former go to the B1G it will be very interesting to see how they perform and how they are perceived.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We’ll know before that. UW and UO will be in the CFP/NY6. They’ll get their test. OSU and UA will play in good bowls and will have a chance to show their stuff.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We’ll know before that. UW and UO will be in the CFP/NY6. They’ll get their test. OSU and UA will play in good bowls and will have a chance to show their stuff.
The CFP depends. If Oregon beats UW do they get in over a one loss Big 12 Champ? I would but I don’t know how the committee would vote

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The CFP depends. If Oregon beats UW do they get in over a one loss Big 12 Champ? I would but I don’t know how the committee would vote
PAC 12 winner is in as long as it’s 13-0 Washington or 12-1 Oregon. What would actually give the CFP committee and the entire college football world fits would be if Texas wins out and Bama beats Georgia, especially if FSU is undefeated ACC champ.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
PAC 12 winner is in as long as it’s 13-0 Washington or 12-1 Oregon. What would actually give the CFP committee and the entire college football world fits would be if Texas wins out and Bama beats Georgia, especially if FSU is undefeated ACC champ.
If Bama won in OT it wouldn’t shock me if Georgia got in anyway with your scenario

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
FSU will be going into the next few games with one hand tied behind their back. Too bad they will not be with arguably their most important player. It's bad for the ACC as well if they still manage to get to the championship games. The committee could actually keep them out of the top 4 just because of the injury even if they manage to remain undefeated regular season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We disagree. Have you watched Arizona play? Have you watched Oregon State play? Most of America has not and is clueless they are good teams.

Their time zone makes watching PAC games very difficult.

There have only been 3 dominant College football teams the past 8-9 years. Georgia, Bama and Clemson.

Fine we disagree. I used facts. You used conjecture. I definitely don't agree with that.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
FSU will be going into the next few games with one hand tied behind their back. Too bad they will not be with arguably their most important player. It's bad for the ACC as well if they still manage to get to the championship games. The committee could actually keep them out of the top 4 just because of the injury even if they manage to remain undefeated regular season.
A critical piece is Louisville. If they beat Kentucky.... then FSU beating Louisville is a big deal & precisely why the ACCs decision to eliminate divisions was the right one. No way... no how will a 13-0 FSU be left out of a playoff if they beat a top 10 Louisville team in game 13.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
A critical piece is Louisville. If they beat Kentucky.... then FSU beating Louisville is a big deal & precisely why the ACCs decision to eliminate divisions was the right one. No way... no how will a 13-0 FSU be left out of a playoff if they beat a top 10 Louisville team in game 13.
There’s a fairly decent chance there are 4 undefeated P5 champs (Washington, Mich/OSU, UGA, FSU) and we have the most cut-and-dry CFP selection ever. Also a fairly decent chance there are 4 1-loss P5 champs (Oregon, Texas, Bama, Louisville) + an undefeated B1G winner. In that scenario I believe Louisville and the ACC get left out to dry. Undefeated FSU is in no matter what, but a 1-loss Louisville would probably need some help to get in even if they beat 12-0 FSU in the ACCCG.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Fine we disagree. I used facts. You used conjecture. I definitely don't agree with that.
What facts, did I miss the numbers you presented? That’s possible? The SEC is the only conference with a winning record against all P5 conferences since 2019. And ESPNJ will confirm the viewing numbers for P12 games vs B1G and SEC games.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the committee will leave an undefeated FSU out if they win out. L'ville has a stout defense and FSU has a solid team and should not be overlooked if their backup proves he can operate their offense successfully against a good defense.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the committee will leave an undefeated FSU out if they win out. L'ville has a stout defense and FSU has a solid team and should not be overlooked if their backup proves he can operate their offense successfully against a good defense.
Agree…no way undefeated FSU can be left out.
The interesting part is a 1-loss Lville winning the ACC. I think if they did it against a full strength FSU, they could have a real shot and a very good argument. With Travis out, I believe the pollsters and committee will devalue that win (if they get it). That Travis injury really hurt the ACC’s chances for a playoff team because without a lot of help from other conferences, I think it eliminated Lville. So I guess we have to pull for the Noles…:confused:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Louisville has a shot, but it's small. They have to win out and have help. This is the CFP top 10 currently:

1. uga
2. tOSU
3. Michigan
4. FSU
5. UW
6. Oregon
7. Texas
8. Bama
9. Mizzou
10. Louisville

Mizzou already has two losses, so they are out of it. Essentially that leaves 9 teams battling for 4 spots. tOSU or Michigan will lock up one spot most likely. uga/Bama will lock up the other. UW/Oregon will lock up the third. A lot rides on the Texas record at the end of the year. If they lose another game, they are out. That's very possible. If Texas loses and Bama wins, uga likely takes the fourth spot, but if Texas loses and uga wins, Louisville could well find themselves in the playoff, especially if UW wins the rematch in the Pac 12 title game. Also, if Michigan loses the game against tOSU, they are likely left out in all scenarios due to the controversy there right now.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Louisville has a shot, but it's small. They have to win out and have help. This is the CFP top 10 currently:

1. uga
2. tOSU
3. Michigan
4. FSU
5. UW
6. Oregon
7. Texas
8. Bama
9. Mizzou
10. Louisville

Mizzou already has two losses, so they are out of it. Essentially that leaves 9 teams battling for 4 spots. tOSU or Michigan will lock up one spot most likely. uga/Bama will lock up the other. UW/Oregon will lock up the third. A lot rides on the Texas record at the end of the year. If they lose another game, they are out. That's very possible. If Texas loses and Bama wins, uga likely takes the fourth spot, but if Texas loses and uga wins, Louisville could well find themselves in the playoff, especially if UW wins the rematch in the Pac 12 title game. Also, if Michigan loses the game against tOSU, they are likely left out in all scenarios due to the controversy there right now.
UW beat Oregon in their game earlier this year. Oregon has only 1 loss. Louisville jumping them will be difficult is Oregon beats Oregon State and Washington