CFP Discussion

CEB

Helluva Engineer
UW beat Oregon in their game earlier this year. Oregon has only 1 loss. Louisville jumping them will be difficult is Oregon beats Oregon State and Washington
I don’t think Lville would jump them, but they could be the 4.
I know everyone here says UGA is in regardless, but I don’t believe that…yet. Conf championship upsets could certainly make that the case, but I think the BiG champ, SEC Champ and PAC champs are locks, barring an upset by Iowa (which is just wacky enough to happen) or an Oregon loss to OR St before beating Washington.
The last spot then goes to FSU/Lville winner or Texas.
Undefeated FSU is a lock.
1-loss Lville /Texas will be a photo finish.

IF… big IF… Oregon loses to ORSt and then beats Washington and / or Iowa wins the BiG championship, we may see some 1-loss “at large” teams get in… like a 1-loss UGA, MICH, tOSU or Washington.

In short, if the favorites win conference championships, I believe they will reward conference champs. At least that’s what they claim… but we’ve been lied to before.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Predictions and conjecture for today:

Mich will squeak past tOSU
UL will try to put up big numbers
FSU will hang on and win
Ok State will win and block OU from B12 CG
Washington will do just enough to win
uga will win
Bama will win

Also, UNC over NCSU and UVA over VT, making us 3rd in the ACC standings

If Mich or tOSU win by < 6 points, or it's an OT game, I think both are in the CFP (esp if Bama beats uga or FSU loses)
Everyone in Austin will be pulling for OSU. None want a rematch with the Sooners

Next Sunday evening, there could be some angry SEC folks.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He's a bit self-congratulatory, but the points he made are correct. This year the uga-Bama game for the SEC title means a lot. The loser is likley not going to be in the playoff group. Next year it will simply be a minor spat re seeding. Will ESPN stream it ESPN+ and show a volleyball match on ESPN. I guess the 1st roound bye is worth something. But, not if the bye simply avoids having to play Tulane in the opening round.

That said, he fails to consider the absence of the PAC12 when making the list of his mock playoff teams. Washington, Michigan and tOSU are all undefeated, but certainly one is out this year. Maybe all three plus Penn State or Oregon would be in with the new format next year. Could we see five teams from one confference in the playoffs?
SEC? Not this year, but some years maybe. Good chance that bot teams in the CCG could make the playoffs in most conferences plus ND.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

FSU will hang on and win
uga will win
Bama will win

If Mich or tOSU win by < 6 points, or it's an OT game, I think both are in the CFP (esp if Bama beats uga or FSU loses)
Everyone in Austin will be pulling for OSU. None want a rematch with the Sooners

Unless Ugag loses to us, if they lose a close one to Bama, they still might squeak in. I hope not, but the bias is there.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Unless Ugag loses to us, if they lose a close one to Bama, they still might squeak in. I hope not, but the bias is there.
I certainly hope for a GT win today, but I am not holding my breath. uga is bigger, faster, and more talented at almost every position. That's just reality. I thought uga would lose one of their last three SEC games without Bowers, but you saw what happened. It'ss nothing to hang your head about. Just move on.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What facts, did I miss the numbers you presented? That’s possible? The SEC is the only conference with a winning record against all P5 conferences since 2019. And ESPNJ will confirm the viewing numbers for P12 games vs B1G and SEC games.
What relevance do records in prior years have to this years' Playoff selections? That's so nonsensical I must be missing something....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the SEC/ACC games today, The ACC "should" go 3-1 today. FSU could be interesting now that they are down their QB. If we could just find a way to squeak by....
ACC is already 4-2 so far thus year vs the SEC. IF we do go 3-1 (NOT a given) that would make us 7-3 vs the mighty SEC.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Michigan wins today (and against Iowa). So they’re in.

Oregon is favored by 7.5 over Washington. They lost by 3 earlier in the season but win the rematch and are in.

Those are the only two teams I feel pretty sure about getting in. I don’t think the ACC gets in - just don’t see the Criminoles winning two in a row without their QB.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

FSU will hang on and win
uga will win
Bama will win

Here is where it gets dicey for the CFP:

UL loses to UK and beats FSU. No ACC team in the CFP.
Bama beats uga.
Mich/tOSU is close and winner beats Iowa by a lot.
Texas hangs on to beat OSU.
Washington remains unbeaten.

None of these would be shockers.

So, we have Mich or tOSU and Washington as unbeaten teams in the CFP
So, Bama is in over uga. What about Texas, who beat Bama by ten points?
What about the loser of the Mich/tOSU game with only one loss?
It gets even crazier if FSU wins out. Could the SEC misss the CFP entirely?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
My PO prediction is Mich, Oregon, FSU, and Alabama. All conference champions, hoping the committee does not overthink this thing in the last of the 4 team playoff.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My PO prediction is Mich, Oregon, FSU, and Alabama. All conference champions, hoping the committee does not overthink this thing in the last of the 4 team playoff.
That is a very reasonable prediction. My guess is that it will get more complicated. The B1G winner (unless it's Iowa), the PAC12 winner, FSU (if they win out), and uga if they win out, are likely in. It starts getting weird if uga loses to Bama (or us). There is one loss Texas (assuming they are the B12 champs) with a convincing win over Bama. Does the committee leave them out?

Anyone see the reports that Texas A&M is going to offer Kirby a blank check to come there ?
I cannot imagine Kirby leaving his alma mater to be the coach at A&M. This feels like someone's click bait.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Anyone see the reports that Texas A&M is going to offer Kirby a blank check to come there ?
The latest I saw was Stoops (Ky), Kyle Wittingham (Utah), and Elko (Duke) as the top 3, with Arizona’s coach as one of the “plan B” coaches.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a blank check for Kirby, though.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
That is a very reasonable prediction. My guess is that it will get more complicated. The B1G winner (unless it's Iowa), the PAC12 winner, FSU (if they win out), and uga if they win out, are likely in. It starts getting weird if uga loses to Bama (or us). There is one loss Texas (assuming they are the B12 champs) with a convincing win over Bama. Does the committee leave them out?
You just qualified yourself to be a committee member.
:)

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The latest I saw was Stoops (Ky), Kyle Wittingham (Utah), and Elko (Duke) as the top 3, with Arizona’s coach as one of the “plan B” coaches.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a blank check for Kirby, though.
I would not be surpri$Ed too muCh either.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Wash, FSU, Big Ten winner and Uga go to playoffs if they are undefeated. I think whomever wins Mich OSu will beat Iowa. But Wash losing to Oregon, UGA losing to Ala. or FSU losing to Louisville puts many one loss teams in play. My guess is a one loss UGA team gets in ahead of other one loss teams regardless if the other team is a conference champion based on being 2 time defending national champion and likely undefeated regular season.