CFP Discussion

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Is Miami back? I love that line. It cracks me up every year :ROFLMAO:
IMG_7513.gif

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The ACC still looks pretty much the same after yesterday. UL still has control of the #2 spot behind FSU. While it's possible one of the six 2-loss teams will emerge as a ACCCG team, it will take some weird stuff happening to make it GT.

The SEC cleaned up some of their confusion. Bama and uga have to lose twice to take themselves out of the SECCG. Bame owns the tiebreaker over Ole Miss. Tennssee needs to win out and have uga lose to Ole Miss. That's possible, but not likely.

Nothing changed in the B1G. It looks like Iowa will play the winner of the Mich/tOSU game.

The B12 is a mess. Could Texas win out? Yes, but who would bet on their chances.

I am not betting on anyone in the PACn right now. Washington and Oregon look awesome, but smelly stuff happens out there.

For the CFP, I believe Bama helped themselves a lot yesterday. tOSU and Michigan have to still be in good shape. Same with FSU. If things hold, it looks like the Washington/Oregon winner is in. Texas needs help.

If I were picking the four teams now, by the eye test, they would be Bama, Washington, tOSU, and FSU. But, I would not be surprised to see uga, Oregon, Michigan, tOSU. Or, Bama, uga, tOSU, and Michigan.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
While I would love to be the ones that destroyed UGAs CFBPO hopes, it would be interesting to see what the committee do with a 1 loss Bama and 1 loss pups. If Bama were to beat them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Who is more likely to get in:
12-1 UGA (lost to Alabama who is SEC Champ)
11-1 OSU or Mich (lost to other who is B1G Champ)
or neither? (if all other P5 outcomes are "chalk")

I feel like chalk scenario would have to include only conference champions, right?

slugboy

Staff member

I feel like chalk scenario would have to include only conference champions, right?
Depends on FSU and Washington, doesn’t it?

=======

I did not see it, but I saw multiple reports that Brian Kelly sent a clearly concussed QB back into the game against Bama last night. Did anyone see that?

If so (and doesn’t seem new for Kelly), I’d negative recruit like crazy against that kind of behavior

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

If Texas wins out it could get complicated.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

If Texas, Washington, OSU/Mich, and FSU all win out and Alabama beats Georgia in the SECCG, does the SEC get left out of the CFP? Or would they take 12-1 SEC champ Alabama over 12-1 Big 12 champ Texas who beat Alabama?

Could be a weird year and really the first time that 5 or even 6 teams have an actual legitimate shot to win the title, not just to make the playoff like we’ve had a few times in years past. However it plays out there’s going to be a lot of pissed off folks.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If Texas, Washington, OSU/Mich, and FSU all win out and Alabama beats Georgia in the SECCG, does the SEC get left out of the CFP? Or would they take 12-1 SEC champ Alabama over 12-1 Big 12 champ Texas who beat Alabama?

Could be a weird year and really the first time that 5 or even 6 teams have an actual legitimate shot to win the title, not just to make the playoff like we’ve had a few times in years past. However it plays out there’s going to be a lot of pissed off folks.
Great question

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Depends on FSU and Washington, doesn’t it?

=======

I did not see it, but I saw multiple reports that Brian Kelly sent a clearly concussed QB back into the game against Bama last night. Did anyone see that?

If so (and doesn’t seem new for Kelly), I’d negative recruit like crazy against that kind of behavior
I don’t know about clearly concussed… maybe that reporting came out afterward?
He took a hard shot to the chin with crown of the helmet (no flags:oops:) as he released a deep ball. Went flat to his back for a while. Hard to tell what was being said, but he sat up, was talking and could even see him say “I’m alright.” They seemed to be very concerned with his jaw.
Evidently he passed whatever protocols they had and went back after a play or two. After the series they took him back for more evaluation
I don’t like Kelly at all, but I won’t make that leap without more to go on.
Disclaimer… it was getting late, I had a few, and honestly was more interested in Wash / USC game. If he sent him back in AGAIN after what I outlined above, I’d be quicker to condemn.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

No way they leave the SEC out.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

The SEC and BIG will get two of the four spots. The rest of us peons are scrambling for 3 and 4. (Committee bias based on past observation.)

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU is the ACC realistic shot for the playoffs and they will need to stay undefeated. I think a 1 loss ACC Champ is behind a 1 loss Pac 12, Big Ten, SEC or Texas.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
just for fun..looking at next year's 12 team playoff this year and current rankings (used coaches poll).
UGA plays winner of Oregon St @ Ohio St.
Michigan plays winner of Louisville @Oregon
FSU plays winner of Mississippi @ Texas
Washington plays winner of Penn St @ Alabama

If favorites hold, quarters would be
UGA and Ohio St.
Michigan and Oregon
FSU and Texas
Washington and Alabama

Assumes Washington wins Pac 12 and Michigan wins Big 10. Yes I know multiple of these teams will play each other and this would obvious change. But this should be fun next year when we have 12 teams to speculate on.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually quarters are wrong.
1 vs 8 would be UGA and Alabama
2 vs 7 would be Michigan and Texas
3 vs 6 would be FSU and Oregon
4 vs 5 would be Washington and Ohio St.