CFP Discussion

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
That said, OSU / Mich could play twice. What could also be fun… how about Michigan losing to PSU, then beating OSU. All three with one loss in conference and someone gets left out of the championship. That someone is probably the most likely to sneak into CFP if any of the other undefeated stumble.
B1G Championship is between West Division winner and East Division winner. Only one of Michigan, OSU, and PSU will be in the Championship game.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
B1G Championship is between West Division winner and East Division winner. Only one of Michigan, OSU, and PSU will be in the Championship game.
On a side note, Nebraska is 5-1 since changing quarterbacks and have 4 winnable B1G games left. Jeff Sims technically didn't get benched, but hasn't returned since he left in the 4th quarter of their Colorado loss with an ankle injury (sound familiar?). They aren't scoring a bunch of points with the new quarterback, but with their defense they just need a quarterback to not give the game away like Sims did in their first 2 games.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
On a side note, Nebraska is 5-1 since changing quarterbacks and have 4 winnable B1G games left. Jeff Sims technically didn't get benched, but hasn't returned since he left in the 4th quarter of their Colorado loss with an ankle injury (sound familiar?). They aren't scoring a bunch of points with the new quarterback, but with their defense they just need a quarterback to not give the game away like Sims did in their first 2 games.
Good call on divisions… I was thinking they made the change too.

Nebraska has as good a shot as anyone in the west…. And good news for them, in that division nobody scores very many points.

Sims got some “mop up” duty last week against Purdue. Nebraska was up three scores and just needed to run the ball. He ran a couple and handed off a couple. On a fourth and 1, they called designed QB draw. Sims was hit behind the line (yes, they snapped it five yards deep to get the yard), was stripped, and Purdue scooped and scored.

Haarberg returned for the next possession.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Sims was hit behind the line (yes, they snapped it five yards deep to get the yard), was stripped, and Purdue scooped and scored.
It's all between the ears at this point.

Regarding all the talk about PAC, my only questions is what happens if Wash Loses to one loss Oregon in PAC championship. Both would be 12-1. I honestly think both teams are better than UGA and Alabama, but the south east bias is probably too strong.

I also think the B1G having divisions at this point is a bit of a joke. The west is so incredibly bad.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It's all between the ears at this point.

Regarding all the talk about PAC, my only questions is what happens if Wash Loses to one loss Oregon in PAC championship. Both would be 12-1. I honestly think both teams are better than UGA and Alabama, but the south east bias is probably too strong.

I also think the B1G having divisions at this point is a bit of a joke. The west is so incredibly bad.
Agree on all counts.

With regard to the bias, it’s real… let’s assume no one is undefeated and you have five 1-loss conference champs. The only two you know are in for certain are BIG and SEC. It’s true every year.

The one caveat this year is that if Texas is a 1 loss champ, they presumably would have beaten the 1-loss SEC champ…
That leaves one spot….So who is most impressive as a 1-loss champ (I’m leaving out non-champs with one loss)?

Washington - they could lose to a ranked team and then beat Oregon for a second time. USC, Oregon St or Utah wouldn’t be a bad loss and beating a really good Oregon team again would be impressive, especially with how well Oregon has been playing.

Oregon - they would win out and then beat a possibly unbeaten Washington in the rematch. Pretty darned solid resume.

FSU - the have no ranked opponents left, so their “best” loss would be Miami.. I guess? Then they would pick up a quality win in the ACC champ game. Their resume doesn’t look impressive next to these others if they have the loss.

Lville - if we assume they win out and beat an undefeated FSU team, I think the Cards have a better resume than any scenario for a 1 loss FSU.

In order, I give the nod to the Ducks, Huskies, Cards then Noles…

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If the Cornhusker’s pull the upset in the CG, it will just add to the chaos. Take them and leave several 1 loss teams at home?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bama will get the nod over Texas if it comes down to that. Based on the “eye test”. Texas’ win over Bama was way back on September 9th. And Bama has improved so much since then they would win a rematch. Bama will have just beaten LSU, and UGA. That’s the SEC argument. And it might just work.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
If the Cornhusker’s pull the upset in the CG, it will just add to the chaos. Take them and leave several 1 loss teams at home?
Nope. As much as it would make for great things in my house, the playoff committee couldn’t bring themselves to take a team that wasn’t ranked as of the start of the season (& that ESPN hasn’t been pumping up as a contender all season). They’d much rather take a 2-loss Bama or Texas, as it fits the narrative.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
These initial rankings almost certainly are going to change. I cannot see the CFP committee leaving an undefeated P5 conference champ out while including a once beaten team that did not qualify for its conference championship game. That said, uga and Washington have a tough stretch of games coming up. Neither is a sure bet to win their conference. The team with the best chance of winning out is FSU.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Nope. As much as it would make for great things in my house, the playoff committee couldn’t bring themselves to take a team that wasn’t ranked as of the start of the season (& that ESPN hasn’t been pumping up as a contender all season). They’d much rather take a 2-loss Bama or Texas, as it fits the narrative.
They literally took TCU last year. They weren’t ranked until October, AND lost their conference championship game over 2-loss Alabama, Tennessee, and ACC champ Clemson

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
These initial rankings almost certainly are going to change. I cannot see the CFP committee leaving an undefeated P5 conference champ out while including a once beaten team that did not qualify for its conference championship game. That said, uga and Washington have a tough stretch of games coming up. Neither is a sure bet to win their conference. The team with the best chance of winning out is FSU.
Rough stretch of games for uga?

On another related point, why are LSU and Tennessee ranked so highly? Didn’t LSU get blown out be somebody who was beaten by little old lowly Ga Tech?

Seems the powers that be still can’t get away from the narrative that SEC teams only have “good” losses.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s because every poll that has ever existed is controlled and corrupt. Power of the polls is why the NCAA and the big schools never wanted a playoff. They never wanted to take the chance that a Boise or GT or a K State would upset the apple cart. Thankfully, TV execs aren’t part of their mafia family and forced the BCS to be created and now the playoffs which will continue to grow. Money won over the corrupt bowl system. Sure, the TV folks placated the bowls initially but now they realize they have all the power which is why you’ll see the bowls disappear over the next 10-20 years. When the top 24 teams are playing on campus playoff games no one will care about Granddaddy of them all. And make no mistake, the TV execs will gladly place their Elite 8 and Final 4 playoff games into the largest pro stadiums to maximize the profit - just like March Madness. So sure, if some dying entity wants to pay for rights to call a Final 4 playoff game in Vegas at Allegiant Stadium the “Rose Bowl” then fine. I’m sure they’ll gladly take the money and slap some Roses on the fence line like we did with Hyundai. But ultimately no one cares as all the fans care about is the game itself.