Can Jordan last a whole season?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It could just be my perception, but from 4 & 20 vs BC to a 96 yard drive vs ugag the passing game saved our offensive *** this year.

I think with current blocking rules pass blocking is learned quicker than ever, and for our program to grow we must keep refining our pass game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. I'm type 2 and a low during heavy physical activity is a real bother. I've wondered if he checks sugars during game or just goes by gut feel.
I am type 1. During that heavy of physical activity, it seems as though it would get hard to tell exhaustion from low sugar.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

GT>ugag

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with Cam. I do not see a big drop off at the QB position next season. JT was a good QB but very inconsistent in throwing the ball, reading the option and making something out of nothing. He certainly had his moments but he had them both ways, I think with the guys we have returning on offense, the trigger man will get a lot of support and as long as he does not turn the ball over, we can and will be fairly successful on offense.

Go Jackets!

In reading the option JT was great at that, very few missed reads. Regarding "inconsistent at throwing" in the two years we had a decent offensive line he has had one of the highest QBRs in the country. He's a very good passer. He never got the greatest blocking, which caused him to run around and try to create so it's not his fault that he couldn't create all the time. And regarding the QB position next year please PLEASE do not let Jordan start. Great downhill runner but is gun shy to pitch the ball, terrible at the mesh point, slow laterally (need to be quick to run the option effectively), and his footwork is atrocious which leads to funky plays and awful throws. He just seems to slow and out of tune with the offense. And he has a rag arm.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
In reading the option JT was great at that, very few missed reads. Regarding "inconsistent at throwing" in the two years we had a decent offensive line he has had one of the highest QBRs in the country. He's a very good passer. He never got the greatest blocking, which caused him to run around and try to create so it's not his fault that he couldn't create all the time. And regarding the QB position next year please PLEASE do not let Jordan start. Great downhill runner but is gun shy to pitch the ball, terrible at the mesh point, slow laterally (need to be quick to run the option effectively), and his footwork is atrocious which leads to funky plays and awful throws. He just seems to slow and out of tune with the offense. And he has a rag arm.

Totally disagree with you. I hope Jordan will start. He will bring some toughness back that we need from this offense. And for those who say he can't throw, check his high school videos. He threw well in the last spring game. He will have a great career here. By the way if you went to the spring game you saw that he can run the entire package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
My opinion is that someone like a Lucas Johnson or even incoming true freshman QB Tobias Oliver (if he can learn the offense quick enough which is possible if he enrolls early) will win the job over Jordan and eventually leading to Jordan moving to B-Back to provide some depth and maybe even get some touches.

The kid beat VT on the road in his first start, he's probably going to be our QB next year

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
"Can Jordan last a whole season?"

No. No CPJ QB has been able with the big boy D1 schedule we play. JT has done ok this year but only because he has shied away from contact.

J f'N {aka warrior) sure couldn't with his smash mouth style which is the style Jordan thankfully has.

We need two QBs to consistently share the hits of CPJ's offense.

For starters, there is a ton of pure BS in this thread. I bet Eason, Watson, name him...took as much of a beating as JT did this year.

Jordan's style is slash and go. Much less likely to take a big hit than cut back, jitterbug style JT. Yes Nuke we all know you espouse a 2 headed QB situation. Maybe you will get your wish next year. Don't hold your breath though. CPJ will play the guy he thinks gives us the best chance. And will likely give that player the majority of snaps.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Cam. I do not see a big drop off at the QB position next season. JT was a good QB but very inconsistent in throwing the ball, reading the option and making something out of nothing. He certainly had his moments but he had them both ways, I think with the guys we have returning on offense, the trigger man will get a lot of support and as long as he does not turn the ball over, we can and will be fairly successful on offense.

Go Jackets!
I hope this is right but it just doesn't quite resonate with me. We will be going from the best QB Johnson has had at GT to a backup whose passing is suspect and whose speed is probably just a bit better than okay. I thought Thomas was a bust in 2015, and that surprised me, but the whole team, coaches and fans blew up. Moreover while I don't recall all his 4th quarter magic, VT, Duke, Georgia are three clutch performances. Saturday, for instance, his passing was kind of all right for three quarters but in the 4th he nailed 3-for-3 for about 82 yards, all on scoring drives. Winning is skill that in my mind cannot be taught, and he is a winner. You might be right that other elements will compensate for the position, but I remember in Washington a QB who was a marvelous option QB, the best we've had I think, but he could not win late. I suspect you'll see substantial if subtle changes in Johnson's approach in 2017. And I set to wondering after seeing Searcy at work whether he might be part of that.

Milwaukee

Banned
I like the optimism from most thinking we won't see much of drop off, but JT was absolutely lethal this year in the passing game, particular the deep shots and stop routes to Jeune.

JT can be replaced as far as power running goes, but his home run ability on the ground will probably never be replaced, sadly.

JT is a top 5 QB on The Flats imo.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Jordan's faults that you list are all examples of a backup that needs more reps with the first string. He'll get his chance in the spring and if he wins the starting job, he will do just fine.

This is the same whining we heard about Godsey, based on his performance against FSU in their heyday when Joe got hurt. I see no issues with J that reps and a little coaching won't cure.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I have confidence that MJ will do just fine. Tevin survived a whole season, but injuries can happen to anyone. JT stayed on the field more than Nesbitt IMO.

MJ gets down hill better than JT, and you call a different game with him. His release may not be as fast as JT, and he may not be as elusive, but he brings more of a smash mouth style than JT could. Passing wise he just needs reps to build some chemistry with our backs/receivers.

We are lucky to have them both on the Flatts. I would take MJ over Vad in a skinny minute. If we have our crew of returning ABs, BBs, and O line he will have some help around him.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
of course he can get better, everyone can.
But to say he misses a lot of reads in simply incorrect. Does he miss them? Sure. But not as many as everyone thinks.
They are designed keepers.
Rock I agree with you on this one. I'm pretty sure Jordan was told to keep on most of these plays and minimize the risk of turnovers. He wasn't really running the triple option, but rather a designed QB keeper.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Rock I agree with you on this one. I'm pretty sure Jordan was told to keep on most of these plays and minimize the risk of turnovers. He wasn't really running the triple option, but rather a designed QB keeper.

Im pretty sure you and Rock are both wrong. Even going back to Miami last year MJ had the option to pitch or keep and tended to keep, especially back then. I think his reads have gotten much better since then. We ran a lot of QB follows with him this year, especially vs VT, but that's not the same as running option and being told to keep.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You sir are a worthless troll or either have a very lousy sense of humor. This is in response to the gentlemen that indicated MJ had a "ragarm". I thought I had quoted him. Sorry. :(

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"Can Jordan last a whole season?"

No. No CPJ QB has been able with the big boy D1 schedule we play. JT has done ok this year but only because he has shied away from contact.

J f'N {aka warrior) sure couldn't with his smash mouth style which is the style Jordan thankfully has.

We need two QBs to consistently share the hits of CPJ's offense.
Seriously Nuke, you need to change your name to qbplatoon.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If MJ gets beat out, so be it. I will be at peace. However, I wouldn't count on it. MJ reads the first option really well in the TO and is getting there with the second. The midline will return and all the benefits that come with it. IMHO he can pass quite well. If those who differ are basing their opinion on the VT sample size, they might want to go back to prior games. I am very comfortable with him moving forward.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
In the Virginia tech game he couldn't get to the back of his drop before a hokie lineman was in his lap. His throws looked off because he could never get his feet set. Stop picking nits. He's a tough kid. We're fortunate to have him.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing about MJ screams "special" to me. He's solid. But if a more dynamic player shows himself in spring, go with him...