Brent Key; Hiring Details....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's fine. I suspect he could even come up with something off the top of his head. I would be surprised if anyone ever asks, though. Not enough people care to even qualify this as a "rumor".
All it takes is one reporter to ask him and one fumbled response to bring the story way out in the open. What worries me more is it being used against him on the recruiting trail:

“So Coach, I heard you said a while back that coming to GT was the worst mistake you ever made?”

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
All it takes is one reporter to ask him and one fumbled response to bring the story way out in the open. What worries me more is it being used against him on the recruiting trail:

“So Coach, I heard you said a while back that coming to GT was the worst mistake you ever made?”
Oh that's what he said? Glad you were there to hear it. Please show where he said this?

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know what he said, but that’s what’s out there. Perception is reality, just ask Coach Collins.
Saying you have to take Calculus to a kid is a little different then saying me going to GT was the worst mistake of my life lol. Really stretched that one.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

And the response would be “If I thought Georgia Tech was the biggest mistake I ever made, do you think I would have left Tuscaloosa to come back?”

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No more Coach Brian Gregory. No more Bud Peterson. No more Coach Paul Johnson. No more Russell. Hiring coaches from Alabama. What a brave new world!

Reminds me of Alice Cooper, that great football prognosticator:

No more Brians,
No more Buds.
No more coaches, loser duds.

Out for summer
Out for all,
We 'll come back, come this fall.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No one outside of 1 or 2 people on this board is talking about this. It would be silly for Key to bring this up.

Assuming you're responding to me saying "that seems pretty easy to dispel/overcome if you're Key." Which was in-artfully phrased on my part. Not suggesting he needs to address it, bring it up, or refute preemptively. Was just saying in the event this ever comes up with a recruit (unlikely, IMHO), the narrative is so flimsy and nebulous it would be easy for him to respond to it.

Anything from "Never happened, ask coach _____ where he got that from, he's just making stuff up to mislead you." to "Well, I advised that particular recruit that Tech might not be the best fit for him, because I'm always upfront with my recruits. But you're a different kind of student athlete, you have the right stuff for Tech." Depending on the truth of the matter.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what he said, but that’s what’s out there. Perception is reality, just ask Coach Collins.

Is that out there, though? Because that is the first I have heard those actual words and I consume a LOT of Tech content. In order for perception to be reality, it has to be perceived by a whole lot of people.

Anyway, recruiting is recruiting. Brent Key probably knows better than anyone how to overcome negative recruiting against Tech.

We will be fine. I think some just want to go out of their way to find something to worry about.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But, my complaint about the double standard of analysts is still there.

When I watched the national championship game I kept waiting for announcers to point out how ineffective Alabama's offense was on 3rd down, the way they always did against Tech. Later I looked it up and Alabama only converted 4 times out of 13 attempts. Average distance on 3rd down was 4.5 yards. Clemson was quite successful by comparison and I think the average distance they had to covert was over 7 yards.

So, what is my point? Simply that playing a tougher defense that has better personnel will make any offensive system look bad. But, yeah, I would rather have Clemson's offense than Alabama's.

AlaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Is that out there, though? Because that is the first I have heard those actual words and I consume a LOT of Tech content. In order for perception to be reality, it has to be perceived by a whole lot of people.

Anyway, recruiting is recruiting. Brent Key probably knows better than anyone how to overcome negative recruiting against Tech.

We will be fine. I think some just want to go out of their way to find something to worry about.

No, it's not out there, other than in the heads of a couple on this board, and they can't tell you precisely what they THINK was said. There are hundreds 0f great answers if he is ever asked. My favorite so far on this board is from TromboneJacket (above). I can't imagine why he would be back if he didn't love Tech, and have at least some hope that they will be able to upgrade the program.