Brent Key; Hiring Details....

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Saying he’s not going to be very involved with the D to focus on branding is a damn fail right out of the gate. WTF is that about?
It said, "as he ramps up to his first season...". Otherwise I would have the same reaction.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Great news and the buzz continues.

So much for the weak denial.

Glad to see the Co-OC. For the rush? How does that work?

The fake punt versus Pitt in the first quarter will be remembered, unfortunately or fortunately. We win that game and Clemson thrashes us in the Orange Bowl.

Honestly the blocking was there on that fake punt the execution by the runner was not.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Saying he’s not going to be very involved with the D to focus on branding is a damn fail right out of the gate. WTF is that about?

I think it means that recruiting is more important than scheme. Which I think it is more important until the recruiting process is set up and running at GT. He must think his D coordinator(s) can do about as good as he could on preparing the D.

CPJ had the best O scheme around but didn't have the players to fully execute to it's theoretical unstoppable potential. Imagine how unstoppable the Flexbone would have been with Clemson players. Or the D would have been under any of our D coordinators with the Alabama players.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think it means that recruiting is more important than scheme. Which I think it is more important until the recruiting process is set up and running at GT. He must think his D coordinator(s) can do about as good as he could on preparing the D.

CPJ had the best O scheme around but didn't have the players to fully execute to it's theoretical unstoppable potential. Imagine how unstoppable the Flexbone would have been with Clemson players. Or the D would have been under any of our D coordinators with the Alabama players.

Im pretty sure if we had NFL communcation rules ( green dot radio in helmet) Al Groh would have still been here.

Animal02

Banned

I keep seeing conflicting stories/ stances. We will coach up 3 stars/ start getting 4-5* consistently.
We will be unique/ we will run an NFL offense ( like every other school)

The quote I saw in one article the TStan was attracted to Collins was because of his Saban connections is downright scary.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
Time for Brent Key to answer to the negative recruiting rumors.

Not.

He has to answer for nothing in that regard.

Seriously. Can you imagine a world in which coaches were expected to publicly answer for every anonymous rumor floating around on the internet? That's absolutely ridiculous. If there was anything behind the rumor in the first place, I have absolute confidence that CGC & TStan have gotten all of the answers needed to make this hire. It's time to let it go man. Move on.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Because we have bigger issues as a program to get set up and he hired a staff that knows what he is looking for on the defensive side? He is the HC not the DC. Also he said not “as involved” not that he would have no involvement.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Because we have bigger issues as a program to get set up and he hired a staff that knows what he is looking for on the defensive side? He is the HC not the DC. Also he said not “as involved” not that he would have no involvement.

I like the Dabo Admin approach by a HC of a P5 school better than the previous hands-on style, which failed to see the forest for the trees at times due to CPJ's involved style.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Seriously. Can you imagine a world in which coaches were expected to publicly answer for every anonymous rumor floating around on the internet? That's absolutely ridiculous. If there was anything behind the rumor in the first place, I have absolute confidence that CGC & TStan have gotten all of the answers needed to make this hire. It's time to let it go man. Move on.

This touches on my big question about this. I've heard it mentioned (only on this board) for years "Brent Key negative recruited us."; "Key can't ever work here again because other coaches will use his own words against him."

I've looked before, Google searched, searched the board. I can't find any actual information on what was said to who or when. Granted I'm sifting through a lot of irrelevant board posts .I know it was a particular kid at UCF, but iirc it's old enough now that the recruiting board for that year is long archived.

No quotes or news stories though, all I've seen is a repetition of a rumor- from Tech people. I mean, if another coach tells some kid "Coach Key is lying to you, I heard ten years ago when he worked at another school he told a kid that Tech academics were hard." Without anything to back it up. That seems pretty flimsy. I know 18-year olds are 18-year olds and subject to being... well, dumb. But still, that seems pretty easy to dispel/overcome if you're Key. Besides, does anyone outside Tech superfans even know/remember this if it ever did happen?

Can anyone point to any actual damaging/compromising first- or even second-hand information out there anywhere on detrimental things Key said about Tech?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This touches on my big question about this. I've heard it mentioned (only on this board) for years "Brent Key negative recruited us."; "Key can't ever work here again because other coaches will use his own words against him."

I've looked before, Google searched, searched the board. I can't find any actual information on what was said to who or when. Granted I'm sifting through a lot of irrelevant board posts .I know it was a particular kid at UCF, but iirc it's old enough now that the recruiting board for that year is long archived.

No quotes or news stories though, all I've seen is a repetition of a rumor- from Tech people. I mean, if another coach tells some kid "Coach Key is lying to you, I heard ten years ago when he worked at another school he told a kid that Tech academics were hard." Without anything to back it up. That seems pretty flimsy. I know 18-year olds are 18-year olds and subject to being... well, dumb. But still, that seems pretty easy to dispel/overcome if you're Key. Besides, does anyone outside Tech superfans even know/remember this if it ever did happen?

Can anyone point to any actual damaging/compromising first- or even second-hand information out there anywhere on detrimental things Key said about Tech?

No one outside of 1 or 2 people on this board is talking about this. It would be silly for Key to bring this up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Imagine if our players didn’t have to play school…

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he should bring it up either, but he should have a prepared answer if he’s ever asked about it publicly.

That's fine. I suspect he could even come up with something off the top of his head. I would be surprised if anyone ever asks, though. Not enough people care to even qualify this as a "rumor".