Braves Regular Season

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
This Braves team just has no mojo. The pitching, which has held the team together, is now failing… just as the hitting awakens. I have little hope for this team at this time. Just seems to be no heart.
The recipe for this team is to keep the opponent under 5 runs. When the pitching doesn't do that, we don't have a chance to win. We are 2-26 when allowing more than 5 runs and 7-44 when allowing more than 3 runs. Like you've been saying @stinger78, there's no mojo and no desire showing up. The time to make a big move for the division is right now and they just aren't capitalizing on it. Regression was expected for this offense, but nobody expected it to be this bad. An historic offense last year has been a putrid offense this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah this is painful to watch. The 'players only' broadcast made some good points, particularly regarding the impact of the injuries in the OF.

Basically said the dynanicism and athleticism they thrived on last year is gone. No one is a threat to steal or stretch a single into a double or threaten to go from 1st to 3rd on a hit. Too many things have to go right for them to score.

And the pitching has supported an undue burden all year. The bill on that seems to be coming due.

Looking more like they're punting on this season, which is a shame. Even if Harris and Albies come back, how long before they're at full speed for the playoffs?

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
My hot take that I tried to allude to earlier with 27/30 teams between 0.400 and 0.600 and no one above 0.600, is that I wouldn’t count them out.

Don’t get me wrong, they look like hot garbage in their last several games, but in 2021, their regular season record was 0.543, granted that was good enough to win the East and they did get hot in August and beyond. But objectively their record is nearly identical and no team is blowing anyone away.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
My hot take that I tried to allude to earlier with 27/30 teams between 0.400 and 0.600 and no one above 0.600, is that I wouldn’t count them out.

Don’t get me wrong, they look like hot garbage in their last several games, but in 2021, their regular season record was 0.543, granted that was good enough to win the East and they did get hot in August and beyond. But objectively their record is nearly identical and no team is blowing anyone away.
Right now, our only chance in the postseason is to get amazing injury luck against opponents, and our pitching to be unbelievably dominant. Outside of that, it'll be a WC series exit for us.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Right now, our only chance in the postseason is to get amazing injury luck against opponents, and our pitching to be unbelievably dominant. Outside of that, it'll be a WC series exit for us.
Just to be clear where I am: If the Braves continue to get good pitching when hitting is bad and good hitting when pitching is bad, then they can forget doing anything and may not even make the postseason. However, the Phillies' 2nd half schedule is harder than their 1st half schedule. If that takes a toll on them and the Braves can get their pitching and hitting both in synch, they could still make a run. As has been said, there is no real dominant team this season so they are not out of it by any means.

I've had a chance to watch more of the last two games than I have all season, and I must say that the number of seeing-eye hits the Brewers have had compared to the hard-luck outs Braves batters have seen has been crazy. The Braves pitching has been a hot mess the last week or so.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just to be clear where I am: If the Braves continue to get good pitching when hitting is bad and good hitting when pitching is bad, then they can forget doing anything and may not even make the postseason. However, the Phillies' 2nd half schedule is harder than their 1st half schedule. If that takes a toll on them and the Braves can get their pitching and hitting both in synch, they could still make a run. As has been said, there is no real dominant team this season so they are not out of it by any means.

I've had a chance to watch more of the last two games than I have all season, and I must say that the number of seeing-eye hits the Brewers have had compared to the hard-luck outs Braves batters have seen has been crazy. The Braves pitching has been a hot mess the last week or so.

I didn't watch much last night. Was the umpire as bad as the radio broadcast say he was?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
It feels like our programming is off right now.....

Soccer Fail GIF by College of Natural Sciences, UT Austin

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I didn't watch much last night. Was the umpire as bad as the radio broadcast say he was?
I didn't notice that, but I did see several seeing-eye grounders and a high chop that went for hits, including one grounder that hit the 3B bag and bounced over Riley. Just about all of them scored runs or sustained innings. Meanwhile, multiple hitters for the Bravos barreled balls straight at defenders. It's just luck... or not... and the Braves were very "unlucky." I don't really believe in luck, but rather probabilities, and believe it all evens out over time. The Braves have gotten some great bounces over the years. Maybe this is just the year they don't.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
He had a horrible outing but it ain‘t just him. He works every 6th game. That team is now something like 7-13 since the All Star break, and that’s with a 6-game winning streak.
Not to mention the small sample size of the deadline pickups is pretty awful. I think I read that Soler is like .143 since coming over? Jackson hasn't been a world beater either. Just not their year.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
He had a horrible outing but it ain‘t just him. He works every 6th game. That team is now 7-12 since the All Star break, and that’s having won 6 of 7-games at one point at the end of July.
I'm really the most disappointed in Alvarez. I was really high on him and was hoping his bat could lead him into taking over SS. That certainly hasn't panned out to this point. He's one that could really get some confidence and mojo back by going to Gwinnett. AA was hoping to catch a spark with him, but he truly was rushed to the majors.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm really the most disappointed in Alvarez. I was really high on him and was hoping his bat could lead him into taking over SS. That certainly hasn't panned out to this point. He's one that could really get some confidence and mojo back by going to Gwinnett. AA was hoping to catch a spark with him, but he truly was rushed to the majors.

I'm bullish on him long-term. I think they did rush him up.