Braves Regular Season

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Interesting take. I'd imagine most folks consider the franchise to be more pitching-obsessed. But that's based on the most recent 30-or so years. Maybe your pops was more referring to the 70's-80's?
He was. The Braves became pitching obsessed in the 90’s with the three amigos and then again under Hart/Crappy. I suppose one could say that the obsession today is great pitching and a couple HR’s will win a lot of games. It will… in the regular season. Usually not in the postseason when pitching is largely even and the team that can scratch out more runs usually wins.

I also think we need to admit that 2021 was an anomaly, and that we had an inordinate number of reserves pressed into service who hit an uncharacteristic number of HR’s, plus a bullpen that never played that well again.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He was. The Braves became pitching obsessed in the 90’s with the three amigos and then again under Hart/Crappy. I suppose one could say that the obsession today is great pitching and a couple HR’s will win a lot of games. It will… in the regular season. Usually not in the postseason when pitching is largely even and the team that can scratch out more runs usually wins.

I also think we need to admit that 2021 was an anomaly, and that we had an inordinate number of reserves pressed into service who hit an uncharacteristic number of HR’s, plus a bullpen that never played that well again.

Yeah, makes sense.

And 2021 being an anomaly, to me, lends credence to the need for a change at hitting coach. What I can't answer is why there's no inkling of a need for a managerial change as well. He saw the train off the tracks pretty early and was slow to force adjustments.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, makes sense.

And 2021 being an anomaly, to me, lends credence to the need for a change at hitting coach. What I can't answer is why there's no inkling of a need for a managerial change as well. He saw the train off the tracks pretty early and was slow to force adjustments.
Fortunately for Snitker, the team made the playoffs despite massive injuries. They can’t fire him, he might get NL manager of the year. Ha!

I actually like Snit and think he’s OK as manager, but needs strong, competent assistants like Wash and EYJ around him. He can’t seem to force them into difficult changes, but he does seem to be able to create space to work through issues. He’s also the second winningest manager in the Braves’ long history… only training Cox.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Fortunately for Snitker, the team made the playoffs despite massive injuries. They can’t fire him, he might get NL manager of the year. Ha!

I actually like Snit and think he’s OK as manager, but needs strong, competent assistants like Wash and EYJ around him. He can’t seem to force them into difficult changes, but he does seem to be able to create space to work through issues. He’s also the second winningest manager in the Braves’ long history… only training Cox.

True, it was a yeomans effort to even make the playoffs despite the injuries.

And EY and Wash were sorely missed.
Pitching, pitching, pitching. Oh, did I forget to mention pitching?

Yeah, you keep saying it but the starting pitching was arguably the best in the league this year. Relievers, minus a few spectacularly bad innings, weren't far behind.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, you keep saying it but the starting pitching was arguably the best in the league this year. Relievers, minus a few spectacularly bad innings, weren't far behind.
yeah. arguably. Streches where it was terrible.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Well… TBH… some here bash Morton mercilessly, but he put up very Mortonesque numbers for the year. He just did it in every other game fashion. He was either a 1 or a 0. Nothing much in between.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
yeah. arguably. Streches where it was terrible.
But this is not actually true.

Well… TBH… some here bash Morton mercilessly, but he put up very Mortonesque numbers for the year. He just did it in every other game fashion. He was either a 1 or a 0. Nothing much in between.

Yeah, I routinely killed Morton. In truth, he looked like his age. Still very good but not able to maintain that level. He did his job, for the most part, which I mean as the ultimate compliment. At his age, we shouldn't expect much more.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
But this is not actually true.

Yeah, I routinely killed Morton. In truth, he looked like his age. Still very good but not able to maintain that level. He did his job, for the most part, which I mean as the ultimate compliment. At his age, we shouldn't expect much more.
Yes, but I definitely see the backhand buried in the compliment. 😛

Can’t argue though. He kind of alluded to it himself, and wanting time with the kids.
backhand GIF

Last edited: