Braves Regular Season

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I read today that the Soler/Jackson reunion was too good for AA to pass up on. Once it became available, he decided to pull the trigger, but it was expected to be a quiet deadline for us. So far that is proving to be true. Seems like AA wanted to kind of punt on this year and bank on returning to real contention next year.
I could understand doing that (punting) but that reminds me of 2017 when all those guys like RA Dickey and Nick Markakis got pi$$ed because the front office gave up. That was the year FF was willing to move to 3B to make it work but the FO crapped on them and tried to toss Snit under the bus. Then Crappolella got fired and all was right in the world.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
I could understand doing that (punting) but that reminds me of 2017 when all those guys like RA Dickey and Nick Markakis got pi$$ed because the front office gave up. That was the year FF was willing to move to 3B to make it work but the FO crapped on them and tried to toss Snit under the bus. Then Crappolella got fired and all was right in the world.
I think AA allowed the market to dictate to him what was going to happen in a sense. Our farm system is one of the weakest in MLB. We have a plethora of pitchers, but we have little to nothing in the position player department. So, if we did make a move, it would have to be very judicial in nature. The position players that were traded went for pennies on the dollar, but pitchers had massive amounts of inflation tied to them. Funnily enough, our bullpen has been a massive strength for this team and is probably the second best in the MLB (CLE being the best numbers wise). In my eyes, that would leave us needing probably 1 starting pitcher and an outfielder as we got Whit and Nacho to cover the infield till Ozzie gets back. Pham and Winker could have been gotten without giving up much, the missed opportunity for Arozarena has been discussed at length on here, but what surprised me was how Chisolm got dealt and the Yanks really only gave up one good prospect for him. I guess what I'm saying is I get not getting a SP as the price for one was pretty outrageous, but not getting a better position player baffles me. We aren't going to win the division, but we could have used this opportunity to help bolster the team for the postseason wild card run. Oh well, maybe AA is counting on regression to the mean, but we all have been waiting for that all year and that hasn't happened yet.

As an aside, while many people are fawning over the Dodgers getting Flaherty (seriously, the media never thinks they make a bad mid-season trade), it came out today that the Yanks had a deal in place for him but decided to squash the deal once they saw his medical records. What did they find that the Dodgers didn't?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think AA allowed the market to dictate to him what was going to happen in a sense. Our farm system is one of the weakest in MLB. We have a plethora of pitchers, but we have little to nothing in the position player department. So, if we did make a move, it would have to be very judicial in nature. The position players that were traded went for pennies on the dollar, but pitchers had massive amounts of inflation tied to them. Funnily enough, our bullpen has been a massive strength for this team and is probably the second best in the MLB (CLE being the best numbers wise). In my eyes, that would leave us needing probably 1 starting pitcher and an outfielder as we got Whit and Nacho to cover the infield till Ozzie gets back. Pham and Winker could have been gotten without giving up much, the missed opportunity for Arozarena has been discussed at length on here, but what surprised me was how Chisolm got dealt and the Yanks really only gave up one good prospect for him. I guess what I'm saying is I get not getting a SP as the price for one was pretty outrageous, but not getting a better position player baffles me. We aren't going to win the division, but we could have used this opportunity to help bolster the team for the postseason wild card run. Oh well, maybe AA is counting on regression to the mean, but we all have been waiting for that all year and that hasn't happened yet.

As an aside, while many people are fawning over the Dodgers getting Flaherty (seriously, the media never thinks they make a bad mid-season trade), it came out today that the Yanks had a deal in place for him but decided to squash the deal once they saw his medical records. What did they find that the Dodgers didn't?
I really wanted Arozarena but am content with Soler because it allows us to platoon Duvall and Rosario until Harris is back.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We can only guess at AA’s reasoning.

We are stocked with young pitchers now in MiLB, but few position players. Part of the reason for that is the young position talent that AA has promoted or acquired, and signed to long-term contracts, in the last 5 years.

Hart/Crappy had emptied the organization depth of position talent except for Albies, Acuna, and Riley. AA got Harris, Olson, and Murphy all on long-term contracts, in addition to Strider. AA signed them all to the contracts.

He lost FF due to FF’s agent, DS due to DS demanding more than he was worth, and he traded Langeliers and Contreras. We could probably use one of those guys but the C position is not a weakness.

Where AA has “failed” is OF… but not really… he signed Kelenic who would have LF nailed down now with Harris and Acuna had they both not gone down with injuries.

To me, it’s just been a perfect storm this season and there is still a good chance of postseason ball. IMPO, that’s a win.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We can only guess at AA’s reasoning.

We are stocked with young pitchers now in MiLB, but few position players. Part of the reason for that is the young position talent that AA has promoted or acquired, and signed to long-term contracts, in the last 5 years.

Hart/Crappy had emptied the organization depth of position talent except for Albies, Acuna, and Riley. AA got Harris, Olson, and Murphy all on long-term contracts, in addition to Strider. AA signed them all to the contracts.

He lost FF due to FF’s agent, DS due to DS demanding more than he was worth, and he traded Langeliers and Contreras. We could probably use one of those guys but the C position is not a weakness.

Where AA has “failed” is OF… but not really… he signed Kelenic who would have LF nailed down now with Harris and Acuna had they both not gone down with injuries.

To me, it’s just been a perfect storm this season and there is still a good chance of postseason ball. IMPO, that’s a win.

Yeah when you see the moves other teams made, it's hard to find many that truly changed anyone's fortunes.

I'd hoped for another OF, but am content with nursing Harris back to health and seeing that as an acquisition of sorts.

Overall it's boring but I kinda get it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Anybody notice that Olson and d'Arnaud both had 2 HRs today?

BA/OBP/SLG For their last 7 games:
Olson: .269/.367/.731
Riley: .290/313/.419
Duvall: .222/.263/.611
d'Arnaud: .440/.500/.920
Arcia: .333/.407/.625

That's pretty strong. If those 4 can get and stay hot, it might be an interesting last 2 months. The Phillies are 3-9 since the AS break and the Braves are now only 6.5 GB. The Braves are only 5-7 but that's 2 full games better.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If the Braves can beat the Fish today they will pull up to 6 GB the Phils with two months (54 games) left.

ETA: That would require a pretty epic collapse by the Phils and a major streak by the Braves. If the Braves play .600 ball over those last 54 games, going 33-21, the Phils would have to finish at 27-28, below .500. If the Braves play .700 ball (38-16), the Phils would need to play 31-23 (.574) or worse to lose.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If the Braves can beat the Fish today they will pull up to 6 GB the Phils with two months (54 games) left.

It's why I've been saying things looked bad but not all is lost. Even scuffling as bad as they were, they were always within striking distance.

If those you mention in your previous post continue to be solid, and they get Albies, Harris, Fried back ... they've got a chance to finish strong.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It's why I've been saying things looked bad but not all is lost. Even scuffling as bad as they were, they were always within striking distance.

If those you mention in your previous post continue to be solid, and they get Albies, Harris, Fried back ... they've got a chance to finish strong.
I edited after you replied. It’s still a very long shot.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck

ETA: That would require a pretty epic collapse by the Phils and a major streak by the Braves. If the Braves play .600 ball over those last 54 games, going 33-21, the Phils would have to finish at 27-28, below .500. If the Braves play .700 ball (38-16), the Phils would need to play 31-23 (.574) or worse to lose.
This may just be my mind playing tricks on me, but whenever it seems like we need a series win against the Fishies, we seem to come out flat and lay an egg. Sweeping this series would be huge especially since the Marlins just had a big fire sell of their best players.

Also, has anybody else noticed the Phils getting a ton of off days lately? It's like they get one between every series now.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This may just be my mind playing tricks on me, but whenever it seems like we need a series win against the Fishies, we seem to come out flat and lay an egg. Sweeping this series would be huge especially since the Marlins just had a big fire sell of their best players.

Also, has anybody else noticed the Phils getting a ton of off days lately? It's like they get one between every series now.
We had the off days early, plus some rain outs. At one point in June we were 7 games short of them.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The Braves have the best record in the NL vs. teams > .500 at 38-32. The Phillies are next at 30-25. So then, not only is the Braves record better percentagewise, but they have played 70 teams > .500 compared to the Phillies having played only 55.

Some things help explain others. Perhaps this is why the Braves hold a 4-2 series lead with the Phillies so far this season despite being 6 GB them.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Update on the Braves' hitting resurgence - Last 7 games:

Olson: .231/ .333/ 5 HR
Riley: .258/ .281/ 2 HR
d'Arnaud: .440/ .500/ 4 HR
Arcia: .333/ .407/ 3 HR
Duvall: .222/ .263/ 2 HR

Olson and Riley have dropped a little, but still getting better production out of those guys. Duvall and d'Arnaud didn't play yesterday. OTOH, Murphy now seems to be heating up a bit as well. The more the merrier!

Murphy: .261/ .393/ 1 HR

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Not the greatest night offensively, but Arcia continues his streak with a HR and 2 RBIs.

Braves now 5.5 GB and the Phillies are down 9-0 to the Mariners in the 6th. Could be 5 GB by the time we go to sleep tonight.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Stick a fork in them. They are done. Pitching, pitching, pitching. Yes hitting has had it's problems, but don't see many low scoring wins.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Stick a fork in them. They are done. Pitching, pitching, pitching. Yes hitting has had it's problems, but don't see many low scoring wins.
Stick a fork in whom? The Braves? Their pitching has held up reasonably well given the circumstances, and Fried should be back soon. Hitting is heating up and now they are getting contributions every night throughout the lineup.

Meanwhile, the Phils are in a bad slump and their lead over the Braves has dropped from 10 games to 5 games in two weeks.

There are about 50 games left now and the Phils schedule is getting tougher. They’ve played a much easier schedule than the Braves so far, but that’s ending. Things look good for the Braves to at least hold their WC slot if not overtake the Phils.

But… that’s why they play the games. The Braves have 6 big games vs. the Phils later this month and the Braves hold the series lead this season 4-2 so far.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Stick a fork in whom? The Braves? Their pitching has held up reasonably well given the circumstances, and Fried should be back soon. Hitting is heating up and now they are getting contributions every night throughout the lineup.

Meanwhile, the Phils are in a bad slump and their lead over the Braves has dropped from 10 games to 5 games in two weeks.

There are about 50 games left now and the Phils schedule is getting tougher. They’ve played a much easier schedule than the Braves so far, but that’s ending. Things look good for the Braves to at least hold their WC slot if not overtake the Phils.

But… that’s why they play the games. The Braves have 6 big games vs. the Phils later this month and the Braves hold the series lead this season 4-2 so far.
I hope you are right stinger. But I still doubt their pitching holds up. Fried's return is huge. We'll see.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The pitching has been generally good with a few bad games sprinkled in from the top 4 (Sale, Lopez, Fried, and Morton). That 5th slot has been a fiasco at times but has also seen some young pitchers show promise as well at times. Elder has had a couple of good games as has Schwells. Holmes has looked good, too. Overall, though, the pitching has been good. The hitting, OTOH, has been timely at times, but has largely been way down from what we all know this team can do. It does seem they are collectively getting their eyes back on the ball though. If that's true we may see a patented Braves finish in the making.