Braves Regular Season

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Just an odd stat notice. Even after today's conflagration, our pitching staff has given up the least runs in MLB. Dare I say kg might be..... not wrong......

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So I was checking the transactions wire for L. Jackson, designated for assignment, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Confused Looking For GIF by Looney Tunes

"Luke... I am your father." - literally all batters

Between Lllllluke, L-der, and CharLLLLie, you'd think one of em would realize that gas can posing as a water bottle maybe shouldn't be tossed on a live fire every game they pitch.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
"Luke... I am your father." - literally all batters

Between Lllllluke, L-der, and CharLLLLie, you'd think one of em would realize that gas can posing as a water bottle maybe shouldn't be tossed on a live fire every game they pitch.
I get that Matzek isn't the same pitcher he used to be, but to think that Jackson is the same pitcher as he was in '21 is just terrible thinking. At his very best, he's a volatile pitcher, and at his worst, he's a run-giving machine. Absolutely terrible idea to bring him back. Also, with all the options you have in the 'pen, why did Snit decide to put Luke in? If memory serves correctly, the 'pen should have been pretty well rested. Why not give that inning to Chavez or Minter?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The last 7 games ERA/WHIP for Braves pitchers. As much as I dislike ERA for relievers, I'll quote it. IMPO, anything over about a 1.25 WHIP is getting pretty high.

Sale - 2.41/1.00
Lopez - 2.80/1.19
Schwellenbach - 3.07/1.06

Fried - 4.30/1.24
Morton - 5.09/1.31
Elder - 7.08/1.63

Iglesias - 0.00/0.71
Hernandez - 1.13/1.18
Minter - 1.35/1.02
Bummer - 1.75/1.52
Lee - 2.60/1.16

Holmes - 4.97/1.11
Johnson - 5.40/1.35
Chavez - 5.40/1.23
Jimanez - 5.68/1.08
Kerr - 7.16/1.61
Jackson - 9.53/2.47

Bummer's numbers are interesting. Either he's pitching out of jams really well, or he's gotten very lucky, or he's yielding a lot of inherited runs that are being charged to his predecessor. How you have a 1.52 WHIP and a 1.75 ERA is amazing.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
I get that Matzek isn't the same pitcher he used to be, but to think that Jackson is the same pitcher as he was in '21 is just terrible thinking. At his very best, he's a volatile pitcher, and at his worst, he's a run-giving machine. Absolutely terrible idea to bring him back. Also, with all the options you have in the 'pen, why did Snit decide to put Luke in? If memory serves correctly, the 'pen should have been pretty well rested. Why not give that inning to Chavez or Minter?
Minter had just pitched the 7th. Assuming you didn't want to use a pitcher on back-to-back games, the choices were Jackson, Chavez, or Logue. And Chavez had pitched on Friday, so that led to Jackson being used.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
The last 7 games ERA/WHIP for Braves pitchers. As much as I dislike ERA for relievers, I'll quote it. IMPO, anything over about a 1.25 WHIP is getting pretty high.

Sale - 2.41/1.00
Lopez - 2.80/1.19
Schwellenbach - 3.07/1.06

Fried - 4.30/1.24
Morton - 5.09/1.31
Elder - 7.08/1.63

Iglesias - 0.00/0.71
Hernandez - 1.13/1.18
Minter - 1.35/1.02
Bummer - 1.75/1.52
Lee - 2.60/1.16

Holmes - 4.97/1.11
Johnson - 5.40/1.35
Chavez - 5.40/1.23
Jimanez - 5.68/1.08
Kerr - 7.16/1.61
Jackson - 9.53/2.47

Bummer's numbers are interesting. Either he's pitching out of jams really well, or he's gotten very lucky, or he's yielding a lot of inherited runs that are being charged to his predecessor. How you have a 1.52 WHIP and a 1.75 ERA is amazing.
Or you have a math error or an error in which lines in a table you read from. :)

Bummer's ERA in his last 7 appearances is 5.63, and his WHIP is 1.75. If you toss out Saturday's poor performance and take the 7 appearances prior to then, those numbers become 1.93 ERA and 1.18 WHIP.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Or you have a math error or an error in which lines in a table you read from. :)

Bummer's ERA in his last 7 appearances is 5.63, and his WHIP is 1.75. If you toss out Saturday's poor performance and take the 7 appearances prior to then, those numbers become 1.93 ERA and 1.18 WHIP.
Could be one or the other or both.

I think what I did is to read his 7-game WHIP as his ERA. Then I took all their WHIPS from the front stats page for the season. I'll go back when I have time and update. I was in too big a hurry, I guess. Thanks for the QC.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What a game tonight. I'm out west so I was able to stay up and watch. What a treat. 10 inning, 1-0 win.

Anybody that didn't know the pitching is carrying this team, I give you exhibit A tonight. Lookin at you, @57jacket . ;)

Sale was amazing dueling against a pitcher that carried a no-hitter into the 6th (or 7th, can remember which). Sale had a particularly amazing defensive play to help himself too.

Bats were inept, as usual, until finally eeking a run out in the 10th. Raisel with 2 stellar innings to secure the W.

You could see the fire in each pitcher that came in, especially Sale and Iglesias. Jimenez had a good bounce-back performance which was good to see.

No Lose-k Jackson tonight which is proof positive that Snitker is not, in fact, trying to lose his job.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
What a game tonight. I'm out west so I was able to stay up and watch. What a treat. 10 inning, 1-0 win.

Anybody that didn't know the pitching is carrying this team, I give you exhibit A tonight. Lookin at you, @57jacket . ;)

Sale was amazing dueling against a pitcher that carried a no-hitter into the 6th (or 7th, can remember which). Sale had a particularly amazing defensive play to help himself too.

Bats were inept, as usual, until finally eeking a run out in the 10th. Raisel with 2 stellar innings to secure the W.

You could see the fire in each pitcher that came in, especially Sale and Iglesias. Jimenez had a good bounce-back performance which was good to see.

No Lose-k Jackson tonight which is proof positive that Snitker is not, in fact, trying to lose his job.
After the Rockies debacle, I was very happy to see Snit stick with Iglesias for the 10th. No need to fix what isn't broken! Also, what a great, old-school pitchers' duel, game to watch. Keeping our bats quiet isn't a hard task in the slightest, but watching Sale match Snell inning for inning was a treat!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
After the Rockies debacle, I was very happy to see Snit stick with Iglesias for the 10th. No need to fix what isn't broken! Also, what a great, old-school pitchers' duel, game to watch. Keeping our bats quiet isn't a hard task in the slightest, but watching Sale match Snell inning for inning was a treat!
I’m glad you’re happy but the rest of the bullpen had their arms in slings.

I mean, Snit used 5 pitchers each in 10-0 and 16-7 losses last week - in August. That’s 10 pitchers in games the Braves lost by a total of 26-7. Then he used 13 more against CO over the weekend. In August.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
And all of a sudden, we are 6 GB in the East and 1.5 up for the last WC spot. Crazy to think we still have a shot after all that's gone wrong this year.
Amazing really. There is still time if the Braves can catch fire. If Harris and Albies can get back soon, it would be a huge pick-up. Soler has been a great addition (again).

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Amazing really. There is still time if the Braves can catch fire. If Harris and Albies can get back soon, it would be a huge pick-up. Soler has been a great addition (again).
I think Harris is set to come back today, with Albies being a September addition. Getting those two back are bigger than any trade deadline deal we could have pulled off.