Bold claims about our program

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to believe this "Energize the Fanbase" statement is a bunch of BS ... mostly because I think some of our fanbase would find something to ***** about if we hired the reincarnation of Dodd-Bryant-Heisman-Lombardi etc !

I think a portion of our fanebase may possibly be the most miserable sob’s on this planet

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much any G5 level HC would jump at the chance of HC at a P5....
My point is he knows what he’s facing. Those other guys would take the job not really understanding what they were getting in to. Maybe they would figure it out and be successful, maybe not. I didn’t say anything about others not wanting the job so don’t know why you would bring that up.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Collins reaffirms what many of us believe, which is that we can do better. Right now it is hope and dreams, but fantasy is always better than reality.

Some people are optimistic and like to feel hopeful. Others are pessimistic and would rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed, so they generally expect the worst.

Let’s wish CPJ a happy retirement and get behind our team showing them the support they will need.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
My point is he knows what he’s facing. Those other guys would take the job not really understanding what they were getting in to. Maybe they would figure it out and be successful, maybe not. I didn’t say anything about others not wanting the job so don’t know why you would bring that up.

Outside of the TO fans, from what I've read and seen, it would be hard to find a better fit for our football program, heck if successful he could be a lifer here ... Optimism !!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Outside of the TO fans, from what I've read and seen, it would be hard to find a better fit for our football program, heck if successful he could be a lifer here ... Optimism !!

Even among TO fans im fine with collins. The age of the "football" coach is dying you have to be a recruiter and cheerleader now. That job is now on the coordinators. (that's why i think you are more likely to see CPJ end up working for bellechick in new england more than a HC in the college game belechiks the kind of guy that would bring him in after brady retires and legit run an option for a year to win a superbowl with it before he said im out.)

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how much this thinking affects the program in a negative manner? It's like we can't get excited without some know it all supposed fan coming in and wanting to throw water on our excitement. When UGA fired Richt there was absolutely nothing in their history that said they should expect better than him. But they wanted more, brought in a new coach and have invested in their program and boom, they are the powerhouse they always envisioned themselves to be. So much of college football is a self fulfilling prophecy. Fanaticism is almost a necessity in college football these days. I see people constantly complaining about being behind in facilities and funding for the program and for good reason. It's a big deal when it was comes to recruiting. But do you know what leads to more money? Excitement and energy which for some reason many involved with our program look to extinguish at the slightest hint of a spark. From Dave Braine to Paul Johnson, I'm tired of being told the program I support can't aspire for greatness. That it's meant for other programs. I had just bought season tickets this year when Paul Johnson went on his "GT is a 6 win program" rant. I swear I wouldn't have bought them if he had said that a week before.

Most programs are constantly making themselves seem like they are better than they are. A great example is South Carolina. By any statistical measure they haven't been near the program we have been but if you were to ask them who is a better program between us and them they would say them which is fine. The problem is most of our fans have been so beat up with negatives of our program they would say South Carolina is better also when all the data would support us being better! That is unacceptable. Let's get excited, let's be delusional as a fan base and lets shoot for the moon. There is absolutely no shame in trying and competing and falling short. Conceding without competing is a different story however. This negative nonsense I've been hearing over the past year is what I can't stand and there is nothing about our program I hate worse right now than this surrender mentality and I see absolutely no way it helps the program in any way shape or form.

Post of the year...preach it, brother.

I didn't think we'd win a Natty in the last decade, not directly because of the triple option offense, but because we weren't recruiting the kind of players it took to win one.

Now I believe we can, and until proven wrong, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Even among TO fans im fine with collins. The age of the "football" coach is dying you have to be a recruiter and cheerleader now. That job is now on the coordinators. (that's why i think you are more likely to see CPJ end up working for bellechick in new england more than a HC in the college game belechiks the kind of guy that would bring him in after brady retires and legit run an option for a year to win a superbowl with it before he said im out.)

I’m not sure how Patriots fans would react to seeing their team line up in the flexbone, but I would be very interested to see CPJ’s offense in an environment like the NFL where one wouldn’t expect much of a talent disparity to exist.

It’s possible the result could look like our game against Bowling Green this season. Bowling Green was the team I thought we matched up with most equally physically.

It would take a physical quarterback in the NFL to not get creamed.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s got to be able to bring home the bacon and fry it up. Coach Johnson brought home spam and made it Taste like fillet mignon some of the time. Of course at times it was just plain old spam.
Probably after tasting the spam, we would here him say it is what it is!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
This is all centered around the belief that negative recruiting the 3O has been our main hurdle. We'll see....
I actually haven't run across many (if any) Tech fans that believes this. Funny how we all look at things differently. Most believe that adding the triple option to the mix of limited degree choices and academic rigor creates a tipping point. I absolutely believe that our new coach will improve recruiting and part of that is certain to be because of the change in our offense. I believe that just as important to that change is the fact he is an ANIMAL when it comes to recruiting. Not my words but words from the class of 2000-2001. A lot of us old guys may seem to come across negatively toward our new hire when that is not the purpose (for me atleast) at all. I want to slow the train down a little so not to build impossible expectation for a guy that will need time. I absolutely believe we have the right guy.

I watched one of his videos and he threatened to break something. You could hear his wife in the background, "Don't you dare!" ... hilarious.
He actually broke a flat screen TV after the Tenn loss a few years ago. It was probably already a bad set, and he more than likely just staged what he did, but he did throw something at it breaking the screen.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He actually broke a flat screen TV after the Tenn loss a few years ago. It was probably already a bad set, and he more than likely just staged what he did, but he did throw something at it breaking the screen.
I cussed at my wife once when we lost a game , I won't do that again but it will be 2020 soon and I can have sex again.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't that one of the reasons for favoring the 3o offense at GT, because GT more often than not won't get the better passing qb or top receiver when compared to the "top factories"?

Gailey had 4 star qb commits in both 07 & 08. This is more defeatist nonsense that a portion of our fan base has bought into. One of the qb’s went on to play in the pros after he decommitted when Johnson came with the option.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Now that the TO is gone, 5* recruits will come. They'll come to Tech for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up Bobby Dodd Way not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the gate as innocent as children, longing for the past. "Of course, we won't mind if you look around", TStan will say. "It's only $20 per person". They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

And Tech will get the QB of their dreams.

Lol. Why are you so hell bent on running down our program? You can’t claim to be realistic because if you were you would consider that the last 2 classes Gailey had he had 4 star commitments at qb. Do you think Gailey was just that much better of a recruiter than Collins?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much any G5 level HC would jump at the chance of HC at a P5....

Where is my laughing so hard I’m crying emoji? Holy smokes. The program will take your money but we would be better off without folks like you. Nobody can utter anything remotely positive about the program with out you choking in and saying how terrible we are. My God if I was a mod I’d probably go ahead and nuke you.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure how Patriots fans would react to seeing their team line up in the flexbone, but I would be very interested to see CPJ’s offense in an environment like the NFL where one wouldn’t expect much of a talent disparity to exist.

It’s possible the result could look like our game against Bowling Green this season. Bowling Green was the team I thought we matched up with most equally physically.

It would take a physical quarterback in the NFL to not get creamed.

Patriots fans typically only care about winning. Also A lot fo nfl teams love the double sot singleback formation which is basically the flexbone just using tight ends as a-backs. The patriots already run an option route heavy offense that has a lot of run and shoot in it.