Bold claims about our program

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think he does care. I think CPJ believes in his heart that he is an excellent coach. And frustrated that so many cannot see or understand what he has been able to accomplish. And THAT is why he makes these snarky comments. He should just be gracious ... but it's hard.

Agreed that it probably aggravates him a little, but vespidae, I really don't think he loses much sleep about the fans' and the media's opinions. He knows that the other coaches (head and coordinators) in his profession know how great of a job he did and how great of a coach he is. Their opinions mean so much more than ours.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
greed that it probably aggravates him a little, but vespidae, I really don't think he loses much sleep about the fans' and the media's opinions. He knows that the other coaches (head and coordinators) in his profession know how great of a job he did and how great of a coach he is. Their opinions mean so much more than ours.

While what you say is true ... I wonder how good a bridge he could have built if he had worked more on the soft skills. That's all.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Really interesting take. You could be right, but I didn't interpret it this way. The entire room was laughing about the "I didn't recruit" line, it was an obvious joke and everyone found it funny. The final comment about CGC out recruiting seemed fine. He does an awkward smile at the end, but it was because there were no more questions and he seemed to just not know what to do. CPJ probably didn't watch Collin's presser where he said he looked forward to watching how Johnson does practice. CPJ probably was just surprised at the question since he hadn't seen Geoff around. I don't know. People read into his pressers way more than I do I guess.

In every previous conference he's been saying how he thinks Geoff is coming in excited and he should be good. I don't think there is any animosity there.

I only heard the audio. Thanks for posting the video. I'll acknowledge, seeing his body language, I probably over-read his sarcasm on the second part. Good point that CPJ probably didn't have context for the CGC question.

Also, on the recording I heard, I think the mic was in with the media so the laughter after the line about recruiting was louder. The "didn't recruit for 11 years" was a dig at someone, maybe it was just the media. I took "party line" as referring to the in-house messaging from TStan and CGC about needing to recruit more to improve the team. Which seems to necessarily, if not intentionally, imply CPJ could have recruited more.

I didn't mean to suggest there is animosity between CPJ and CGC. CPJ is just very plain spoken and, as Jeff Shultz once put it;"doesn't suffer fools".

As far as I'm concerned CGC is our coach now. So, I question the wisdom of putting CPJ in a position to be officially answering questions about a team that is no longer his team. It risks mixed messages. For example, CGC said he looked forward to watching practices, CPJ said "hasn't seen him". I'm sure that wasn't ill intention, but it's mixed messaging. KS published a story in the AJC after this about CGC being at practice "Geoff Collins will have eye on Jackets during bowl practice"... but quoted CPJ that he hasn't been at practice (yet). I'd guess KS already had the story in mind and asked CPJ the question to get quote for it.

It doesn't seem ideal to have two head coaches representing the program. To me, we should have one coach, one message, one face of the program. TStan disagrees and ultimately it's his decision.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As far as I'm concerned CGC is our coach now.

I don't think that's the case. CPJ's job is head coach until the end of the season which is AFTER the bowl game. Until then, the team is his. CGC is the head coach-designee. He really shouldn't speak for the program because he is not on the payroll and hasn't assumed official duties.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
While what you say is true ... I wonder how good a bridge he could have built if he had worked more on the soft skills. That's all.

I don't disagree with that take, Vespidae, but so hard for people to change who they are (or even pretend better), especially when they get older.

You know, GT hardens people (or it did me). I softened over the years, mainly due to my faith and family, but I remember when I first "got out", and I was a "don't care" kind of guy, due to the shaft I had received. :) Maybe Coach Johnson feels that way also at times after dealing with GT. GT is a stem school that has football fans that expect what Dodd accomplished to happen again.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He said STTE of we have a 6 or 7 win team coming back next season.
No ****. It’s also a far cry from saying 6 wins is our ceiling.
The statement was WTTE Johnson went on a rant about GT being a 6 win program.... I had just bought season tickets the week before.... I would not have bought them had he said it a week earlier.

Someone produce a audio/video because this would be significantly outside of what I’d ever thought I’d hear the man say. Outside a very small number of teams, maybe the Top 5 or 6 in the nation, I’m not sure there’s not any others we would/could not beat on any given Saturday. I can tell you one thing, you wouldn’t get any P5 Top 10-25 team volunteer to play us in a bowl right now. The odds of them losing to us is way too high.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Coach Johnson feels that way also at times after dealing with GT. GT is a stem school that has football fans that expect what Dodd accomplished to happen again.

I recall Gen Perry Smith, sharing that leaders "praise down and criticize up". CPJ is in a leadership role. No offense to him and I get what you are saying, but people hang on the words of a leader. There were times I wanted to scream "You friggin Doofusses!!!" but, as the leader, I had to bite my lip and say, "We're blessed with wonderful people who give their all every day. I'm pleased to lead this organization and honored that you have placed your trust in me."

CPJ could have helped his own base and been perceived as one of the greatest EVER if had focused on talking metrics, milestones and momentum.

Good discussion.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think that was a dig at TStan or CGC at all. It was a dig at the media and CPJ-haters.

Boy, you sure do twist people's words around. The FACT IS that CCG HAS BEEN out recruiting. Where do you see any sarcasm there?

Once again, you're twisting words to fit some kind of agenda of yours. And where and how do you get the idea the CPJ thinks CCG is a clown? WOW !!!

As far as why CPJ is coaching the bowl game, he RETIRED, and he has and was allowed to enact that option. How would preparing a team experienced in running CPJ's offense stand a chance of completely changing the offense in time one month stand a chance of winning the game? CCG has been out recruiting for the future, not trying to convert an existing team to whatever style he plans to run in the future.

Listen, I respect CPJ a lot. I don't think I twisted his words; I quoted him and gave my interpretation. Your interpretation differs and you're welcome to it.

If CPJ is coaching the bowl game he's not "retired", he's retiring. But CGC is already here. The fact that we're going to a bowl with a lame duck coach is unusual.

CGC's job, from the day he was hired until August 29th next year, is to 'convert an existing time to whatever he plans to do in the future'. If CGC were staying at Temple through their bowl game as well, I'd understand. But, as of last Friday, CGC is our head coach. In my view, this is CGC's program now and he should be leading it. CPJ shouldn't be making media appearances or speaking for the program, even if he is staying on through the bowl. Just my opinion.

Animal02

Banned
Listen, I respect CPJ a lot. I don't think I twisted his words; I quoted him and gave my interpretation. Your interpretation differs and you're welcome to it.

If CPJ is coaching the bowl game he's not "retired", he's retiring. But CGC is already here. The fact that we're going to a bowl with a lame duck coach is unusual.

CGC's job, from the day he was hired until August 29th next year, is to 'convert an existing time to whatever he plans to do in the future'. If CGC were staying at Temple through their bowl game as well, I'd understand. But, as of last Friday, CGC is our head coach. In my view, this is CGC's program now and he should be leading it. CPJ shouldn't be making media appearances or speaking for the program, even if he is staying on through the bowl. Just my opinion.
Nope....CPJ is stepping down at the end of the season. GC is not coaching at Temple because he QUIT. There is a big difference.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Nope....CPJ is stepping down at the end of the season. GC is not coaching at Temple because he QUIT. There is a big difference.

I think this a good situation for CPJ, CGC, the players, and the fans. CPJ can go out on his own terms while coaching his final game. CGC will be able to get his feet wet at Tech and let CPJ worry about the bowl game while dealing with recruiting issues before the early signing period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with that take, Vespidae, but so hard for people to change who they are (or even pretend better), especially when they get older.

You know, GT hardens people (or it did me). I softened over the years, mainly due to my faith and family, but I remember when I first "got out", and I was a "don't care" kind of guy, due to the shaft I had received. :) Maybe Coach Johnson feels that way also at times after dealing with GT. GT is a stem school that has football fans that expect what Dodd accomplished to happen again.

Buzz,
Actually I think Tech produces folks who want the same excellence out of their football (sports) teams as was required of them academically.--which was a helluva lot .

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Your comment reminds me of Admiral James Stockdale, who was the senior officer in charge of the POW's in the Hanoi Hilton. When asked, "who didn't make it", he replied, "Oh, that's easy, the optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, 'We're going to be out by Christmas.' And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then they'd say, 'We're going to be out by Easter.' And Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas again. And they died of a broken heart.

Stockdale then added:

This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

Tech will prevail as a competitive D1 school. Of that, I am sure. But, I have no doubts as to how difficult a journey it is and will continue to be. That's why I've been able to enjoy Tech football for 40 years.

What is this? Why is this here?

wait for it ...

So just to comment to those addressing CPJ and him being a grouch. I have spent time with him and he is one of the nicest guys you will meet. He also knows more about football and coaching than 95% of the existing coaches. Just think over time how you would react to the UGA Atlanta press and their constant put downs. People calling his offense a high school offense, even after it whips their ***. Finding the least little thing to go after because Tech is supposed to be little brother. Listening to all the talk about the SEC.....that is why he made it a point to beat them so much. The press didn't bother Chan because he was the obedient loser in the state. Many of you have forgotten or weren't alive when they said that O'Leary was gruff and they attacked his program as well.

If CPJ is short or gruff to the press.....then that is great....because they deserved it. But as you all read, his players loved and respected him.

Animal02

Banned
So just to comment to those addressing CPJ and him being a grouch. I have spent time with him and he is one of the nicest guys you will meet. He also knows more about football and coaching than 95% of the existing coaches. Just think over time how you would react to the UGA Atlanta press and their constant put downs. People calling his offense a high school offense, even after it whips their ***. Finding the least little thing to go after because Tech is supposed to be little brother. Listening to all the talk about the SEC.....that is why he made it a point to beat them so much. The press didn't bother Chan because he was the obedient loser in the state. Many of you have forgotten or weren't alive when they said that O'Leary was gruff and they attacked his program as well.

If CPJ is short or gruff to the press.....then that is great....because they deserved it. But as you all read, his players loved and respected him.
But, but , but, recruiting....5*, .:rolleyes:

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
IIRCR, he phrased it as; "we have a 7 or 8 win team coming back next year". So, I can understand the confusion of thinking he meant we have a team coming back that can only win 7 or 8. But in context, his meaning was clear. I listen to every press conference and post practice media session on podcast. He hasn't said anything else that could be construed as disrespecting next year's team.

However, on Tuesday he was asked if it was different preparing for the bowl since he's usually busy recruiting at this time of year. CPJ responded "S***, I didn't recruit for 11 years... That's the company line, right?" To which the media guys all had a good laugh. Sounded like a dig at TStan and CGC for suggesting we're going to start recruiting heavily now, as if CPJ and his staff haven't been.

Also was asked about how CGC said he looked forward to "being a spectator" during the bowl practice, learning from CPJ etc. Asked if CGC had talked to CPJ about the team, practice, etc. CPJ said "I haven't seen him. He's more than welcome, but I haven't seen him... I think he's out recruiting." Sounded sarcastic and the media guys chuckled a little.

I don't think CPJ's comments are unfair, but I'm still confused why CPJ is coaching the bowl game. I get the impression CPJ thinks CGC is a bit of a clown. Kinda undermines the new Coach's authority to have the old guy making jokes at his expense. Shouldn't we be using this time to start installing CGC's systems?
Others have already addressed most of your points but let me just say that you seem to overthink a lot especially Paul’s comments. There is no reason to wonder what he really means...he means exactly what he says.

Collins will be at bowl practice when the recruiting dead period is over. He’s said that. He is excited about seeing Paul coach his last game. He’s said that too. Just relax man, the players get what’s going on and so do the coaches. It’s all good.