Bold claims about our program

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I really thought we’d win 9 games next year before the change. We appear to be shifting offense & it looks to me like we’re even changing the defense around again. With some of the impact recruits being discussed, I’m really not sure why we couldn’t win 9 games next year. I’m putting my gold colored glasses on to see if there’s a good path to 10. I think that all revolves around how the QB situation pans out. We’ve got a couple of good options already in the fold & I’m hopeful they can sling it around enough to make this whole transition work well.

I suppose it's not impossible... but with Clemson and UGA on the schedule, it's going to be extremely hard to get to 9. Assuming we lose those 2, that leaves us going 9-1 with the rest of the schedule, and we still have some quality opponents left there. Not impossible, but probably not too likely either.

Hopefully we'll be able to step up our game the next few years and we don't have to assume a loss in those 2 games much longer. But they are both in the top 5 in the nation for a reason, they have elite talent and excellent coaching staffs right now.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't watch the video but a natty is not that far-fetched for GT. I believe CPJ could have won one with the right squad. All we have to do is win the ACC and we'll probably get in the playoff. Easier said than done I know, but our path is probably easier than other teams around the country since the ACC Coastal ain't exactly the best division out there right now.

U must be ME grad, what teacher is in ur pic. I can't remember except he was a weird dude!

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
lol it's as if CPJ retiring and the hype surrounding CGC has made everyone forget who we are. A natty? LOL right.

I'd be thrilled with 9 wins if one is over Ugag.

The cold, hard facts are that the big uglies on the O and D lines, the guys who are why Alabama and Clemson and Alabama and Alabama win every game they play, don't want to work at school.

They want to play football and then play Xbox, or go to the club. You can't play football and just hang out afterwards at GT and still pass your classes. Can we see some improvement in areas? Absolutely. A BOAT load more money injected into the program and a tireless recruiter HC with some solid X and O coordinators will probably have us playing better overall. But that's worth 2-3 wins, maybe?

Shoot. I hope I'm wrong. I hope we suddenly get the pick of the 5 and 4 stars across the US who have the brains to get their degrees at GT because suddenly GT is "cool" or whatever. That'd be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I appreciate what CPJ did as our coach and I have a ton respect for him. But, I think the response to CGC also speaks to how poorly CPJ's personality was perceived when things got tough. When he was winning the media saw him as confident, exacting and hard-nosed. When he started losing, it quickly seemed arrogant, whiny, and stubborn. He burned more bridges than he built with fans, the media, the community. (His players loved him, which is worth a lot.)

After 11 years, it's hard to remember how much optimism and hype CPJ had from fans and the media when he started. After 2009, it legitimately looked like we were going to be national condtenders on a regular basis. 11 wins, ACC championship, ranked, trending up... no one predicted that was CPJ's peak at the time. We all thought the 2010 season was just a down year due to injuries/rebuilding (Nesbitt). The "Chan's players" narrative didn't develop until at least 2011-12. (If you were a GT fan back then and want to claim you didn't like CPJ in 2009... extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.)

It's natural to be excited about a new coach coming in. Especially with CGC's fun, high energy and exciting personality. I greatly appreciate his positivity and outreach. I'll be thrilled if CGC replicates CPJs successes. I hope CGC is the answer Tech has been looking for since 1991 and he finds a winning formula here. But, heaven forbid, if we start losing; he's going to look like a clown really quick. I wasn't around for Pepper, but iiuc that's how it went with him.

But, having watched GT football since the late 90's, our issues long predate CPJ (his scheme was initially seen as an answer to our lesser resources, but somehow it has become viewed as the cause.) CGC might be the best recruiter, promoter, and motivator of all time. But our football budget is less than half of uGa and Clemson. CGC is being given a knife and sent into a gun fight. He's going to have to be some kind of coaching Jedi ninja to win that fight. That's not pessimism, it's reality.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what to think. I’ve heard that we can’t recruit because academics blah blah that it’s been seared into my brain for 10 years. But this dude seems like it won’t be the slightest issue. I’m willing to watch and wait though. Nothing is impossible
Johnson had a great crack in the AJC today, making fun of critics and of himself regarding recruiting. And in the same piece, out of place here but it will have to do, it was made clear it is Georgia Tech's policy as an institution that every scholarship commitment will be honored.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I actually think the delusions surrounding Paul's offense are going to help us tremendously especially since CGC is presenting the exact picture to the public that they want. Not because it's reality, but perception matters a ton for recruiting, media, butts in the seats, donations, etc. We can only just hope that CGC and whatever staff he comes up with are at least reasonably good at football, organization, and keeping scandals away.

This is a great point and something I had not considered. We can actually lean into our old negative stereotypes in helping to flip recruiting. Hey, use whatever you got I guess! Lol.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
OK, mindless Second Cup ramblings ...

• The video was awful. Low production quality and lack of a coherent message. He would have made a far stronger case if he had better video, an organized argument, and presentation. I felt like I was watching Beavis and Butthead.
  • His main points ... Collins is "innovative", Collins is a "recruiter", Collins is ... "insert superlative". Johnson was once confronted with Kirby being named a top recruiter in his first year at UGA(g). To which CPJ quipped, "How can you NOT be a top recruiter?" There's no magic wand. While I hope recruiting improves, I'm delighted with what CPJ did with what he had.
  • A Natty? Please. I think it is entirely possible to be consistently ranked in the Top 25. But 10 programs are just monumentally better. We won our last NC when Bama was 7-5. A good test is the "10 Game Test" ... if we were to play a team ten times, how many would we win? I think the reality is WE MIGHT beat a Bama once ... but we aren't going to beat them ten times. And that's what it takes.
Love the enthusiasm. But ... I would be delighted to simply set our goal to a) consistently win 8 games a year, b) win Coastal, c) be ranked in the Top 25.

Having said all of that ... my ONE FEAR is that Collins is our Butch Jones. And I really hope that is not the case.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OK, mindless Second Cup ramblings ...

• The video was awful. Low production quality and lack of a coherent message. He would have made a far stronger case if he had better video, an organized argument, and presentation. I felt like I was watching Beavis and Butthead.
  • His main points ... Collins is "innovative", Collins is a "recruiter", Collins is ... "insert superlative". Johnson was once confronted with Kirby being named a top recruiter in his first year at UGA(g). To which CPJ quipped, "How can you NOT be a top recruiter?" There's no magic wand. While I hope recruiting improves, I'm delighted with what CPJ did with what he had.
  • A Natty? Please. I think it is entirely possible to be consistently ranked in the Top 25. But 10 programs are just monumentally better. We won our last NC when Bama was 7-5. A good test is the "10 Game Test" ... if we were to play a team ten times, how many would we win? I think the reality is WE MIGHT beat a Bama once ... but we aren't going to beat them ten times. And that's what it takes.
Love the enthusiasm. But ... I would be delighted to simply set our goal to a) consistently win 8 games a year, b) win Coastal, c) be ranked in the Top 25.

Having said all of that ... my ONE FEAR is that Collins is our Butch Jones. And I really hope that is not the case.
I think psychology refers to such hopes (national championships) as the false hope syndrome, so that you hope to win 'em all and wind up with eight and it is a terrible disappointment. I can see recruiting improving somewhat: a "featured runner" wannabe might now consider GT, and maybe a WR here or there. While I did not hear anything Collins said directly, I saw nothing in his offense that was innovative -- and shoot, what can be more innovative than an entirely new offensive concept that wins two national titles and all sorts of championships? -- but I am not a football coach so maybe so. I gather he was saying all the right things to exactly the right people, which I suppose is good, but sounds awfully contrived to me and that in turn makes me suspicious. Is he, as an Ohio friend of mine once observed, "too slick by half?" I hope not, but there is not much of a track record to judge him by -- two years and a list for building a roster from Nick Saban, along with some claims about recruiting which nobody has backed up yet. I have my fingers crossed, too.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think psychology refers to such hopes (national championships) as the false hope syndrome, so that you hope to win 'em all and wind up with eight and it is a terrible disappointment.

Your comment reminds me of Admiral James Stockdale, who was the senior officer in charge of the POW's in the Hanoi Hilton. When asked, "who didn't make it", he replied, "Oh, that's easy, the optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, 'We're going to be out by Christmas.' And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then they'd say, 'We're going to be out by Easter.' And Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas again. And they died of a broken heart.

Stockdale then added:

This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

Tech will prevail as a competitive D1 school. Of that, I am sure. But, I have no doubts as to how difficult a journey it is and will continue to be. That's why I've been able to enjoy Tech football for 40 years.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This may not be the right place to put this, but ... there's a lot of discussion around will changing the offense help recruiting? My personal view is no. What is comes down to is ... "Do I like the guys on the team and my coaches?" I spoke to a friend last night whose son played for Auburn. I asked why Auburn since he was from Atlanta. "He liked his coach." So I asked another, a guy I've known for 35 years and who played for UT and was recruited by UGA as well. Why UT? "I liked Bill Battle." And UGA? "Dooley was the coldest man I ever met. I couldn't see myself playing for him."

No discussion of offense. Schemes. Playing.

I found this article from ESPN below. No discussion of the TO.

BEAVERTON, Ore. -- O.J. Howard, the nation's No. 2 tight end prospect, has heard almost every pitch in recruiting.

The guarantee from one school that he would start immediately. A promise from another that he would catch a certain number of passes. Assurances that his talents would take him quickly to the NFL.

You want to know what Alabama coach Nick Saban promised Howard? Nothing. When they last talked, Saban asked Howard about his baseball team and told the rising senior at Prattville (Ala.) Autauga Academy to say hello to his parents.

Chris Hawkins (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif./Rancho Cucamonga), on a visit to Stanford, watched his high school film with coach David Shaw. In the middle of the viewing, in walked several assistant coaches. Hawkins said one tempted him with this: "Do you want that here? Do you want to start here?"

Hawkins ultimately committed to USC because of his relationship with secondary coach Marvin Sanders, who never even so much as encouraged the cornerback to pick the Trojans.

"He was acting more like a father to me," Hawkins said. "He's just like me. We listen to the same kind of music. We laugh at the same things. He just told me to find the best fit for me."

The sentiments of Howard -- a centerpiece of the Crimson Tide's third-ranked 2013 class -- and Hawkins represent the majority of recruits.

Last week as approximately 150 of the top prospects gathered at The Opening, RecruitingNation sought an answer to the age-old question in recruiting: What do kids want in a college?

Surely, in today's era of immediate communication and instant gratification, the desires of premier recruits would reflect the changing times.

Not so much, the results say. The football players interviewed largely said they seek the same reliable comforts in a college program that have served top coaches well for decades.

Highest on the list of priorities were relationships, chemistry and a family feel among the current players and coaches, in addition to strong academic support.

"I wanted a place I could feel like I'm at home," tight end Marcus Baugh said.

Baugh, of Riverside (Calif.) John W. North, committed to Ohio State, calling the Buckeyes his "dream school."

The moment in recruiting that has most impressed Prosper (Texas) High School uncommitted receiver Torii Hunter Jr.? When Iowa told him of its strong graduation rates for football players.

"If sports doesn't work out, I'm going to need a Plan B," said Hunter Jr., MVP of the seven-on-seven tournament at The Opening.

Hunter Jr., also a baseball star and the son of Los Angeles Angels outfielder Torii Hunter, is considering both sports in college. Hunter Jr. said the best advice he's heard in recruiting came from Stanford baseball assistant Dean Stotz.

"He told me picking a college is like picking your wife: You've got to stick with it your whole life," Hunter Jr. said. "So be like a lawyer and read the fine print."

OK, so perhaps that's a new twist on recruiting.

The best experience for Alabama quarterback pledge Cooper Bateman (Murray, Utah/Cottonwood), though, was simple and straightforward.

Bateman toured LSU, Auburn, Alabama and Florida during a busy spring trip.

"In no way did Alabama try to lay out the red carpet, which was great," Bateman said. "Other schools did. I'm not going to single anybody out, but some places had girls with me the whole time. I don't really see how that's going to persuade someone.

"Some of the things they said, promises they made, it's far out there."

Top-rated receiver Ricky Seals-Jones (Sealy, Texas/Sealy) committed to Texas in February, then decommitted in June. He's considering offers that include UT, Oregon, Texas A&M, Baylor, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and LSU.

Seals-Jones does not count Alabama among his favorites, but a phone conversation with Saban ranks near the top of his most memorable encounters.

In fact, Saban's name surfaced more than any in discussions with players at The Opening about the most impressive coaches they had encountered.

And let's just say he's not into sugarcoating his message.

"He told me, 'If you want to come to Alabama, you can. If not, so be it,' " Seals-Jones said. "I was like, 'Whoa, I wasn't really expecting that one.' It shows me that he doesn't beat around the bush."

Of course, not every coach can be Nick Saban. Bateman said he once spent 30 minutes on the phone with the Alabama coach.

"I didn't really get the chance to say much," Bateman said.

His most important factor in choosing the Crimson Tide involved offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier -- not Saban. Those relationships mean so much.

It's a big part of the reason linebacker Alex Anzalone (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing) committed to Notre Dame last weekend. Anzalone pledged to Ohio State in April while in Columbus for the Buckeyes' spring game. He backed out of the commitment in May and waited two months to decide on the Irish.

When Anzalone looked closely at his finalists -- Notre Dame, Penn State and Florida -- it all made sense, he said, for many of the same reasons kids picked their programs 20 years ago.

"Your first impression of a school does have an impact," Anzalone said. "But once you get down to the nitty-gritty, that stuff wears off and you see what's really important."