Bold claims about our program

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Basically what he said was (at his retirement presser) that whoever is the next head coach is inheriting a team that won 7 or 8 games so it's not devoid of talent.

IIRCR, he phrased it as; "we have a 7 or 8 win team coming back next year". So, I can understand the confusion of thinking he meant we have a team coming back that can only win 7 or 8. But in context, his meaning was clear. I listen to every press conference and post practice media session on podcast. He hasn't said anything else that could be construed as disrespecting next year's team.

However, on Tuesday he was asked if it was different preparing for the bowl since he's usually busy recruiting at this time of year. CPJ responded "S***, I didn't recruit for 11 years... That's the company line, right?" To which the media guys all had a good laugh. Sounded like a dig at TStan and CGC for suggesting we're going to start recruiting heavily now, as if CPJ and his staff haven't been.

Also was asked about how CGC said he looked forward to "being a spectator" during the bowl practice, learning from CPJ etc. Asked if CGC had talked to CPJ about the team, practice, etc. CPJ said "I haven't seen him. He's more than welcome, but I haven't seen him... I think he's out recruiting." Sounded sarcastic and the media guys chuckled a little.

I don't think CPJ's comments are unfair, but I'm still confused why CPJ is coaching the bowl game. I get the impression CPJ thinks CGC is a bit of a clown. Kinda undermines the new Coach's authority to have the old guy making jokes at his expense. Shouldn't we be using this time to start installing CGC's systems?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
IIRCR, he phrased it as; "we have a 7 or 8 win team coming back next year". So, I can understand the confusion of thinking he meant we have a team coming back that can only win 7 or 8. But in context, his meaning was clear. I listen to every press conference and post practice media session on podcast. He hasn't said anything else that could be construed as disrespecting next year's team.

However, on Tuesday he was asked if it was different preparing for the bowl since he's usually busy recruiting at this time of year. CPJ responded "S***, I didn't recruit for 11 years... That's the company line, right?" To which the media guys all had a good laugh. Sounded like a dig at TStan and CGC for suggesting we're going to start recruiting heavily now, as if CPJ and his staff haven't been.

Also was asked about how CGC said he looked forward to "being a spectator" during the bowl practice, learning from CPJ etc. Asked if CGC had talked to CPJ about the team, practice, etc. CPJ said "I haven't seen him. He's more than welcome, but I haven't seen him... I think he's out recruiting." Sounded sarcastic and the media guys chuckled a little.

I don't think CPJ's comments are unfair, but I'm still confused why CPJ is coaching the bowl game. I get the impression CPJ thinks CGC is a bit of a clown. Kinda undermines the new Coach's authority to have the old guy making jokes at his expense. Shouldn't we be using this time to start installing CGC's systems?
Really interesting take. You could be right, but I didn't interpret it this way. The entire room was laughing about the "I didn't recruit" line, it was an obvious joke and everyone found it funny. The final comment about CGC out recruiting seemed fine. He does an awkward smile at the end, but it was because there were no more questions and he seemed to just not know what to do. CPJ probably didn't watch Collin's presser where he said he looked forward to watching how Johnson does practice. CPJ probably was just surprised at the question since he hadn't seen Geoff around. I don't know. People read into his pressers way more than I do I guess.

In every previous conference he's been saying how he thinks Geoff is coming in excited and he should be good. I don't think there is any animosity there.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
OK, mindless Second Cup ramblings ...

• The video was awful. Low production quality and lack of a coherent message. He would have made a far stronger case if he had better video, an organized argument, and presentation. I felt like I was watching Beavis and Butthead.
  • His main points ... Collins is "innovative", Collins is a "recruiter", Collins is ... "insert superlative". Johnson was once confronted with Kirby being named a top recruiter in his first year at UGA(g). To which CPJ quipped, "How can you NOT be a top recruiter?" There's no magic wand. While I hope recruiting improves, I'm delighted with what CPJ did with what he had.
  • A Natty? Please. I think it is entirely possible to be consistently ranked in the Top 25. But 10 programs are just monumentally better. We won our last NC when Bama was 7-5. A good test is the "10 Game Test" ... if we were to play a team ten times, how many would we win? I think the reality is WE MIGHT beat a Bama once ... but we aren't going to beat them ten times. And that's what it takes.
Love the enthusiasm. But ... I would be delighted to simply set our goal to a) consistently win 8 games a year, b) win Coastal, c) be ranked in the Top 25.

Having said all of that ... my ONE FEAR is that Collins is our Butch Jones. And I really hope that is not the case.

This could happen. Collins, once the hype and glitter wears off, becomes a latter day Butch Jones leaving a wreckage where there was a once proud football program. It is too terrible to contemplate because we walk such a fine line. A really bad hire would just about put us back to Bill Lewis or even worse the end of the Pepper Rogers era. I agree that more realistic goals would be to win 8 games by the second or more likely third year and improve recruiting to top 30 or so. That would be a nice foundation for bigger and better things. Love the emphasis on recruiting and the can do spirit of Coach Collins. I think we will be pleasantly surprised by what he brings to the table.

Sounded like a dig at TStan and CGC for suggesting we're going to start recruiting heavily now, as if CPJ and his staff haven't been.
I don't think that was a dig at TStan or CGC at all. It was a dig at the media and CPJ-haters.
CPJ said "I haven't seen him. He's more than welcome, but I haven't seen him... I think he's out recruiting." Sounded sarcastic and the media guys chuckled a little.
Boy, you sure do twist people's words around. The FACT IS that CCG HAS BEEN out recruiting. Where do you see any sarcasm there?
I get the impression CPJ thinks CGC is a bit of a clown. Kinda undermines the new Coach's authority to have the old guy making jokes at his expense. Shouldn't we be using this time to start installing CGC's systems?
Once again, you're twisting words to fit some kind of agenda of yours. And where and how do you get the idea the CPJ thinks CCG is a clown? WOW !!!

As far as why CPJ is coaching the bowl game, he RETIRED, and he has and was allowed to enact that option. How would preparing a team experienced in running CPJ's offense stand a chance of completely changing the offense in time one month stand a chance of winning the game? CCG has been out recruiting for the future, not trying to convert an existing team to whatever style he plans to run in the future.

Animal02

Banned

It would be insanity to switch to a new HC at this point. CPJ is stepping down at the end of the season......he announced it up front to be fair to recruits.
CPJ is not the only one with the impression.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
No. He has no system; there's no assistants hired yet. CGC is doing exactly what he should be; out recruiting. CPJ is still the coach (although a lame duck) and his assistants will get the team ready for the bowl and have fun doing it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
After attending Tech during the darkest days of its football history, I view any season with more wins tan losses a great thing.

Man, these people who have only been fans since the 1990 national championship have no idea what you are talking about. You think we lack talent now? At the tail end of the Pepper Rogers era and the start of Bill Curry's tenure we had a Division II roster for the most part. Our recruiting seemed to be nonexistent. It was so bad that there was serious discussion of "deemphasizing football" or even dropping the program altogether. We are light years ahead of those days.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that was a dig at TStan or CGC at all. It was a dig at the media and CPJ-haters.

Boy, you sure do twist people's words around. The FACT IS that CCG HAS BEEN out recruiting. Where do you see any sarcasm there?

Once again, you're twisting words to fit some kind of agenda of yours. And where and how do you get the idea the CPJ thinks CCG is a clown? WOW !!!

As far as why CPJ is coaching the bowl game, he RETIRED, and he has and was allowed to enact that option. How would preparing a team experienced in running CPJ's offense stand a chance of completely changing the offense in time one month stand a chance of winning the game? CCG has been out recruiting for the future, not trying to convert an existing team to whatever style he plans to run in the future.

I would much rather CCG be recruiting and getting his staff lined up. He and his staff will have to make some tough decisions about where to fit players and such. Coach Johnson has earned the respect of just about everyone so let him coach the bowl game and hopefully send the seniors out with a win.

Animal02

Banned
Where is my laughing so hard I’m crying emoji? Holy smokes. The program will take your money but we would be better off without folks like you. Nobody can utter anything remotely positive about the program with out you choking in and saying how terrible we are. My God if I was a mod I’d probably go ahead and nuke you.
Not surprised by you thin skin when your narrative is skewered. Now go run and find your safe place, little snowflake.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

No we should be trying to win our bowl game 100%, and CPJ should keep his snarky comments to himself...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

No way in approximately 10 practices, and 2 of those will be in Detroit, that a "new" system could be implemented.

CPJ is aware of the criticism related to his recruiting and his system's impact to the recruiting. I am sure some of that was frustration on his part with the criticism.

Personally, I would rather him play "Mr. Nice Guy" now that he is the outgoing coach, but I don't think CPJ cares what any of us or any of the media or CGC thinks - and honestly, that personality was something I liked for the Institute (as I told TStan in my email, GT is a different place and CPJ was a different kind of dude - to me, it was a perfect match) while he was still the long term coach. BUT, I realize a lot of others on this board do not agree.

Just thought of something I had not really realized = CGC got out of Starkville just in the nick of time in 2014 (did not have to face CPJ) - and now, because he will be our head coach, he got out just in the nick of time to not have to face CPJ (if he had remained) vs. Temple next year. I gotta say, if nothing else, those were both very smart moves.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
No we should be trying to win our bowl game 100%, and CPJ should keep his snarky comments to himself...
"Geoff Collins talked about looking forward to seeing practice, has he talked to you about it?"
"No I haven't seen him. He's more than welcome, but I think he's out recruiting."
Where is the snark? I understand that people want to find more reasons to justify their hate of the man, but this is the biggest reach I've seen. Geoff *has* been out recruiting.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I would rather him play "Mr. Nice Guy" for now, but I don't think CPJ cares what any of us or any of the media or CGC thinks

I think he does care. I think CPJ believes in his heart that he is an excellent coach. And frustrated that so many cannot see or understand what he has been able to accomplish. And THAT is why he makes these snarky comments. He should just be gracious ... but it's hard.