Bleacher Report Top 5 Coaches on Hot Seat

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Has anyone ever defined what "being on the hot seat" actually means? If it just means who will be fired this season, then why don't we just say that? If it means needs to show improvement in next couple of years or you'll be gone, then 75% of the FBS coaches are on the hot seat.
It means head coaches at risk of being fired

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Pat Fitzgerald would be a good future GT head football coach candidate if he's fired by Northwestern. He's done wonders there. Charlie Strong at GT would get a lot of national press coverage and bring in a lot of recruits. I think Charlie could be the head coach at Kentucky in 2017 however.
Ain't it grand that a coach fired for failing to win at one school is seized upon by fans of another as just a Jim Dandy choice to replace the head coach they just fired ... for failing to win? There has to be an analytics formula for this phenomenon.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I hate to be participating but how is Pat Fitzgerald an upgrade?? We already have that...sneaky good teams and solid seasons. Or am I missing something. Or somebody else mentioned the texas coach.....how in the world could a guy who can't win at UT be succesful at GT????? UT is easily one of the top 5-10 jobs in college FB. SMH at some of the posts here.
Nowhere in that post did I say upgrade. I said he'd do well here. NW is similar to Tech. Small school, harder academics then any school in there league. He runs a similar scheme and it could be a smooth transition with him. He gets what it takes to coach at a school like Tech. Hell, people are throwing out names. I picked one off that list I think would be the easiest transition and that could sustain the same level if not better success as PJ. I love PJ and this offense. I hope he's here another 10 years.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ain't it grand that a coach fired for failing to win at one school is seized upon by fans of another as just a Jim Dandy choice to replace the head coach they just fired ... for failing to win? There has to be an analytics formula for this phenomenon.
He would be a much better hire than some up and comer you would have to look up on wikipedia to find anything about.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There's like 2-3 Paul Johnson should/will be fired soon threads every week now it seems. Can we at least wait a few more weeks before we start these?
That's what message boards are for and it happens everwhere except Alabama and Ohio St message boards. Tennessee is back to where they were 15 years ago and still they have similar threads on Tennessee message boards about Butch Jones.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I hate to be participating but how is Pat Fitzgerald an upgrade?? We already have that...sneaky good teams and solid seasons. Or am I missing something. Or somebody else mentioned the texas coach.....how in the world could a guy who can't win at UT be succesful at GT????? UT is easily one of the top 5-10 jobs in college FB. SMH at some of the posts here.

I understand the logic but I don't see Fitzgerald being even a lateral move to what we have now. As for Coach Strong, I heard from a scout the talent had gotten really baaaddd Mack's last few years so if it was imperative to clean house. With the lineage Texas has, I think GT has had more guys drafted in the last 4-5 years than them.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
That's what message boards are for and it happens everwhere except Alabama and Ohio St message boards. Tennessee is back to where they were 15 years ago and still they have similar threads on Tennessee message boards about Butch Jones.
Happens for Alabama too. When they lost to Ohio State and Ole Miss the last 2 years there were plenty of "IS SABAN WASHED UP!?!?!" stuff going around. There will always be people ready to complain

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I hate these threads, but a point of clarification.

Imo, the academic challenge facing Tech in recruiting is not number of majors available nor leeway in admissions. It's the rigor of the classes and the APR. I think we offer enuf support for those who want to embrace the challenge but finding such.kids seems harder than many seem to think.

The large attrition from 2013 (iirc) class points to that, imo.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand why would you spend millions on getting a guy like Charlie Strong or Helton and cut them loose after just a couple of years? Some of these fan bases are their own worst enemies. The idea of Paul Johnson being on this list reveals that the analyst did not think about anything other than current and recent won loss records and the like. Finances here pretty much preclude the idea of firing him either this year or the next. For better or perhaps worse he is here. I think Texas would be foolish to give up on Coach Strong so quickly. Don't know that much about the others except Stoops is probably a goner at Kentucky which has been a coaches graveyard for quite some time.

Lol. Actully, if Stoops beats Vandy this weekend, his contract largely ensures that he won't be fired this year either. He got a huge raise after starting last year 5-1 (before collapsing the same way he did the season before that).

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd be interested in Miles as a sort of social experiment because there are always comments about how big name big school coach would/would not be able to have success at GT.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol. Actully, if Stoops beats Vandy this weekend, his contract largely ensures that he won't be fired this year either. He got a huge raise after starting last year 5-1 (before collapsing the same way he did the season before that).
The word according to Kentucky fans i talked to was that if Kentucky doesn't have a winning record and go to a Bowl Game that Stoops will be fired

Jmonty71

Banned
While we are topic of coaches. I heard a rumor that Peyton Manning was actually looking into coaching at the college level.

First, any truth to this?

Second, if so... What school would bring him in as an untested HC?

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
While we are topic of coaches. I heard a rumor that Peyton Manning was actually looking into coaching at the college level.

First, any truth to this?

Second, if so... What school would bring him in as an untested HC?
Great players make lousy head coaches-managers look at Ted Williams in baseball. As a Tennessee fan as well as a GT fan i could see PM one day becoming Tennessee Athletic Director but i couldn't see him being head coach,quarterback coach or offensive coordinator

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I typically agree that great players don't make great coaches, but in the case of Peyton....

I think he would do well as an offensive coordinator down the road. He wasn't just some great athlete that could sling it. He understood the intricacies of the game and was essentially an NFL OC for years. With that said, no way am I the guinea pig school that tries him first.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Peyton would need to be an OC for a quarterback that understands and prepares as much as he did. I don’t see it happening. I see him going the Elway route.