Bleacher Report Top 5 Coaches on Hot Seat

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If I had to pick a coach who more than likely is on the "hot seat" or has been already fired I would want les miles at GT. I know some might not like this but as long as he had a good offensive hire I would be thrilled, I wouldn't be worried about D he generally has a top defense. Oh and it would bring in top notch recruiting.

Miles would have to have a ton of leeway in admissions to take this job.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Les Miles loves big offensive line and big running backs utilizing a strong running game. Getting the big offensive line and running backs would be a lot harder at GT than it was at LSU.
Maybe so but I'm more worried about getting a top D, that's what wins games. I think les if not stubborn could adjust his style of play or just up the recruiting to get those guys just maybe not as often.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If I had to pick a coach who more than likely is on the "hot seat" or has been already fired I would want les miles at GT. I know some might not like this but as long as he had a good offensive hire I would be thrilled, I wouldn't be worried about D he generally has a top defense. Oh and it would bring in top notch recruiting.
He could not bring it the same recruits that LSU could go after. I doubt that very few if any at LSU are taking calculus .

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand why would you spend millions on getting a guy like Charlie Strong or Helton and cut them loose after just a couple of years? Some of these fan bases are their own worst enemies. The idea of Paul Johnson being on this list reveals that the analyst did not think about anything other than current and recent won loss records and the like. Finances here pretty much preclude the idea of firing him either this year or the next. For better or perhaps worse he is here. I think Texas would be foolish to give up on Coach Strong so quickly. Don't know that much about the others except Stoops is probably a goner at Kentucky which has been a coaches graveyard for quite some time.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Stoops was a HUGE bust for Kentucky. They paid so much for him and it's just not panning out. Granted I don't know if that's a product of his coaching ability or Kentucky.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not understand why would you spend millions on getting a guy like Charlie Strong or Helton and cut them loose after just a couple of years? Some of these fan bases are their own worst enemies. The idea of Paul Johnson being on this list reveals that the analyst did not think about anything other than current and recent won loss records and the like. Finances here pretty much preclude the idea of firing him either this year or the next. For better or perhaps worse he is here. I think Texas would be foolish to give up on Coach Strong so quickly. Don't know that much about the others except Stoops is probably a goner at Kentucky which has been a coaches graveyard for quite some time.
The big money backers at Texas want Charlie Strong gone and that's all it takes at Texas. The Texas AD said the coaching change would take place in December.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Stoops was a HUGE bust for Kentucky. They paid so much for him and it's just not panning out. Granted I don't know if that's a product of his coaching ability or Kentucky.
Kentucky is a very hard place to recruit and win at. Mark Stoops is one of a long list of very good coordinator who are lousy head coaches.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hate that Strong took that TX job. They were never going to allow him to show how good a coach he is. There was a lot a gutting that had to be done there. It was a country club under Mack Brown. The sense of entitlement had to be wrung out of that place in a way the 'big money boosters' were never going to allow.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The big money backers at Texas want Charlie Strong gone and that's all it takes at Texas. The Texas AD said the coaching change would take place in December.
You are, of course, perfectly correct. I just think it is beyond insane to throw millions of dollars out the window, so to speak, over a football coach without at least giving him time. Gee, this man was an outstanding coach at South Carolina and Florida. I think he would be fine if they left him alone.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He could not bring it the same recruits that LSU could go after. I doubt that very few if any at LSU are taking calculus .
I didn't mean those specific guys but there are big top OL men that could take calculus, that was my point. Like I said he wouldn't get them as often but he could go out and get some.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I don't know but I would speculate that it is more about Kentucky than it is about Stoops. The Bear was successful there a few years but left as soon as he could. Florida fans call them the "mildcats" for a reason. Just the way it is. In that state basketball and horse racing are WAY ahead of football.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You are, of course, perfectly correct. I just think it is beyond insane to throw millions of dollars out the window, so to speak, over a football coach without at least giving him time. Gee, this man was an outstanding coach at South Carolina and Florida. I think he would be fine if they left him alone.
I agree with you,Sideways. I think Kentucky will open their pocketbook wide and hire Charley Strong as the next UK head football coach. Charley could rev his head coaching career back up by guiding Kentucky to 2-3 Bowl Games in a row then leaving for a better head coaching gig.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I can't believe anyone could think this is a good idea.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know but I would speculate that it is more about Kentucky than it is about Stoops. The Bear was successful there a few years but left as soon as he could. Florida fans call them the "mildcats" for a reason. Just the way it is. In that state basketball and horse racing are WAY ahead of football.
Bear Bryant went 10-1 in 1950 at Kentucky and beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and got an engraved lighter while Adolph Rupp won the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 1949 and got a Cadillac.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Coach is the only person who will determine when he goes. I don't think Tech will fire him under any circumstances.

As for the others:

• I have never understood why people are so high on Strong. He was a decent assistant, but I never saw him as head coach material. His time at Texas has shown why.

• I think Stoops made a major mistake going to Kentucky. He's a decent coach in an impossible environment. For football, at least.

• Malzahn needs really great players and really good luck to win big. When he has them he's ok. When he doesn't, well …

• Oth, I think Addazio is a good coach and will last awhile at BC. Bad news for their opponents.

• Helton is Lane Kiflin, part deux.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Coach is the only person who will determine when he goes. I don't think Tech will fire him under any circumstances.

I kind of agree with this. If it gets to a point where he needs to go, I think they will give him the opportunity afforded to others where he will just "resign. "

I think he's had a lot of accomplishments while here. Yea. Worst season in 20 years hurt a lot but going to a couple of orange bowls and winning the ACC have been fun. Beating UGA twice in Athens was great. We all want to win more but remember that if they had won in 2008 UGA would have tied the longest streak in the series and maybe that's not s big deal to some but it was a HUGE deal to me. Time will tell what happens but I hope that when it's time it's not dramatic.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone ever defined what "being on the hot seat" actually means? If it just means who will be fired this season, then why don't we just say that? If it means needs to show improvement in next couple of years or you'll be gone, then 75% of the FBS coaches are on the hot seat.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think Pat Fitzgerald would do great at GT. He's coaching at a school with strong academics. Recruits against big time schools. Has beaten the big name teams in the big 10 year after year. Living in the Midwest NW has always reminded me of GT. We are a little better off as a program but they've had some sneaky good teams and a few solid seasons. He'd know what to expect here and I think he'd thrive in ATL.

I hate to be participating but how is Pat Fitzgerald an upgrade?? We already have that...sneaky good teams and solid seasons. Or am I missing something. Or somebody else mentioned the texas coach.....how in the world could a guy who can't win at UT be succesful at GT????? UT is easily one of the top 5-10 jobs in college FB. SMH at some of the posts here.