Bleacher Report Top 5 Coaches on Hot Seat

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Those type of coaches along with mid major head coaches and up and coming assistants are the people GT can afford to hire in my opinion. I don't believe GT could outbid a major college football team for their head football coach.
At today's market rates, you are probably right. And the problem with $5 million head men is that he requires OC and DC at about $1.3 million, and pretty soon you're talking real money.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So has CPJ been figured out? He just doesn't have the QB, but I think it's coming.
NC as OC
NC appearance as HC
In the SEC East
I'll take it.

If you have to have, by far, the best athlete on the field in order for your offense to look competent, you don't have a "system". He accomplished everything you mentioned with a team full of guys who wouldn't sniff GT acceptance. Newton would've never come here from JUCO. We saw what happened with Nick Marshall. Even if we could've got Fairley in, he never would've lasted here. Clearly the Tre Mason kid has been dealing with mental issues so I'm dubious about him succeeding at a place like GT.

All he needs is a QB? He has his guy in Cam2.0 aka Jeremy Johnson who he either totally whiffed on or has been completely unable to develop. He's not even viable at this point, at all. Pass.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've always liked this comparison. A friend of mine was recruited by both UT (Bill Battle) and UGA (Vince Dooley). This is how he summarized the recruiting:

Bill Battle: "Son, we think very highly of what you've done at the HS level. You are a good player, but more importantly, smart. We think we can teach you to play our style of ball. So, our Player Development coaches are going to help on your conditioning, we'll work on your footwork and timing, and teach you how to improve your execution. Our academic assistance team will make sure you keep up with your schoolwork and our assistants will help you learn how to play University of Tennessee football. In short, if you will let us, we will help make you the best football player you can be and in the process, help us win a national championship."

Vince Dooley: <Open dossier. Flip a few pages.>. "XYZ High School? Known Coach X a long time. How's he doing? Well, this is Georgia. I hope you enjoy your visit." <end>

The point was he was a good player, but not a great player. UT thought they could make him a great player. UGA ... looked at the stats and recruited athletes ... not whether or not they could translate those stats into results.

I've never looked at recruiting classes the same way since.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think recruiting goes way beyond just natural talent, finding out the intangibles means a lot, what's this kid all about ... heart, desire, motivation, etc.
IMO, some recruiting rankings see film on a kid who runs for 500 yds against a bad HS football team and has all the size/speed stats and automatically label him a 5*.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've always liked this comparison. A friend of mine was recruited by both UT (Bill Battle) and UGA (Vince Dooley). This is how he summarized the recruiting:

Bill Battle: "Son, we think very highly of what you've done at the HS level. You are a good player, but more importantly, smart. We think we can teach you to play our style of ball. So, our Player Development coaches are going to help on your conditioning, we'll work on your footwork and timing, and teach you how to improve your execution. Our academic assistance team will make sure you keep up with your schoolwork and our assistants will help you learn how to play University of Tennessee football. In short, if you will let us, we will help make you the best football player you can be and in the process, help us win a national championship."

Vince Dooley: <Open dossier. Flip a few pages.>. "XYZ High School? Known Coach X a long time. How's he doing? Well, this is Georgia. I hope you enjoy your visit." <end>

The point was he was a good player, but not a great player. UT thought they could make him a great player. UGA ... looked at the stats and recruited athletes ... not whether or not they could translate those stats into results.

I've never looked at recruiting classes the same way since.
Bill Mayo of Dalton who was a 3 time All American Offensive Lineman(1982-1984) said when he was recruited by Georgia and Vince Dooley that he went to Vince Dooley's House and was shown a picture of Herschel Walker. Vince asked him to come to Georgia and block for Herschel Walker. Bill Mayo said that he was when he decided to sign with Tennessee and play for Johnny Majors because he was completely turned off by Vince Dooley's recruiting approach.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If you have to have, by far, the best athlete on the field in order for your offense to look competent, you don't have a "system". He accomplished everything you mentioned with a team full of guys who wouldn't sniff GT acceptance. Newton would've never come here from JUCO. We saw what happened with Nick Marshall. Even if we could've got Fairley in, he never would've lasted here. Clearly the Tre Mason kid has been dealing with mental issues so I'm dubious about him succeeding at a place like GT.

All he needs is a QB? He has his guy in Cam2.0 aka Jeremy Johnson who he either totally whiffed on or has been completely unable to develop. He's not even viable at this point, at all. Pass.

Nick Marshall was heavily recruited by GT & was at one time a silent commit.
Jeremy Johnson has been a bust, could you say the same for Vad.
And neither Cam's or Nick's Auburn teams were the most talented teams. Auburn will never have the most talented teams in the SEC they'll be comparable. His scheme has produced everywhere he's gone. There current QB position is in flux.
CPJ has his QB in place what's his excuse.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid we are heading to a 6 win season at best and that assumes we can stop Duke and UVA passing attacks. A lot will be determined how good we are this Saturday at Pitt. I watched the UNC-Pitt game and Pitt had them beat (up 2 scores) late in the 4th quarter. They played prevent and UNC got the ball downfield to Switzer who Pitt could not cover. Pitt tried to eat clock their last two possessions, got conservative, and got stopped on 3 and out both times. UNC scored again with big passes mainly to Switzer to win with no time left. I am not sure we can come back like that if we get down. It also demonstrated to me that Pitt is pretty darn good and if they had gotten a couple of first downs in their last possession they would have won.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Observations:
JT goes down easily with arm tackles. OL has assignment breakdowns too often. Corners' coverage is soft. The dive is not as effective as when we had Days and Laskey (or Shaq). WR are dropping some passes that would have made a difference. Our DB's are often in position to make a play but can't strip the ball from the receiver during a catch. We aren't getting key interceptions. We aren't forcing fumbles. Mills is a very good B Back. Lynch is a very good A back. WR's can't seem to get separation. PJD seems to have ankle problems again this year (he was really hurting the last half of 2015). A Simmons looks to be pretty darn good. PJ is about as frustrated and discouraged as I have seen him and he needs some PR help. This team needs to get some good breaks and they need to prove to themselves they can win against good teams.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I typically agree that great players don't make great coaches, but in the case of Peyton....

I think he would do well as an offensive coordinator down the road. He wasn't just some great athlete that could sling it. He understood the intricacies of the game and was essentially an NFL OC for years. With that said, no way am I the guinea pig school that tries him first.
I am out here in Colorado. Many times his teammates would rave about having Peyton is like having another coach. He made the defense as well as the offense better because of his "coaching" skills. His game film analysis, which he loved, helped everyone. Elway was never seen like that. A stoic leader but not another coach. I could see Peyton coaching and enjoying the hell out of it because he would be back in his elements - game film, making the offensive calls, engaging with other players/coaches about the game plan, etc. It seemed like Peyton was quite different than Elway in these areas.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am out here in Colorado. Many times his teammates would rave about having Peyton is like having another coach. He made the defense as well as the offense better because of his "coaching" skills. His game film analysis, which he loved, helped everyone. Elway was never seen like that. A stoic leader but not another coach. I could see Peyton coaching and enjoying the hell out of it because he would be back in his elements - game film, making the offensive calls, engaging with other players/coaches about the game plan, etc. It seemed like Peyton was quite different than Elway in these areas.

I think they said he was like another coach because he was so old.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think they said he was like another coach because he was so old.
Peyton worked so hard at being a great quarterback far beyond any other NFL quarterback. At Tennessee he spent two hours a day or longer looking at game film.