Bleacher Report Top 5 Coaches on Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Made the mistake of listening to CFB show on XM as they were discussing hot seat or w/e. Typical SEC-lensed commentary from former Bama QB Greg Mcelroy. Among his reasons was MIA scoring on 2 straight fumbles shows the offense doesn't work or STTE. As if those weren't just 2 anomalies. As if no other offense turns the ball over.

Also regurgitated the, 'uh the defense ain't good a'cause they practice against 3O all the time'.

He did actually stumble into a decent point when he mentioned something I've said w.r.t. the attention we get from other teams not only in-season but during everyone's off-season. People make it a point to scheme specifically for us which makes it very difficult on us. He's not wrong there.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Made the mistake of listening to CFB show on XM as they were discussing hot seat or w/e. Typical SEC-lensed commentary from former Bama QB Greg Mcelroy. Among his reasons was MIA scoring on 2 straight fumbles shows the offense doesn't work or STTE. As if those weren't just 2 anomalies. As if no other offense turns the ball over.

Also regurgitated the, 'uh the defense ain't good a'cause they practice against 3O all the time'.

He did actually stumble into a decent point when he mentioned something I've said w.r.t. the attention we get from other teams not only in-season but during everyone's off-season. People make it a point to scheme specifically for us which makes it very difficult on us. He's not wrong there.
Greg McElroy is a bleeping moron

I have no idea where to put this. If this is against any rule to delete it . But this was in the AJC today and the only reason I am putting it in here is because some have criticized CPJ for saying something about players in public and just to show you it happens other places.
https://www.dawgnation.com/football...t-georgias-players-honesty-is-the-best-policy
Have you ever heard Johnson single out an individual player for unsolicited criticism in a public forum? I sure don't remember it ever happening. And yet Johnson is constantly criticized (unfairly IMO) for "throwing his players under the bus." BS

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
We could honestly not win another game this year and not have to worry about CPJ going anywhere. He is the best man for the job right now. I knew he wasn't going anywhere last year and he will not go anywhere this year.

Great players make lousy head coaches-managers look at Ted Williams in baseball. As a Tennessee fan as well as a GT fan i could see PM one day becoming Tennessee Athletic Director but i couldn't see him being head coach,quarterback coach or offensive coordinator
And then there is Bobby Dodd, Frank Broyles, Steve Spurrier. Probably several more, but, in general, you are probably right. Good defensive players, or even good defensive coordinators seldom make good head coaches, although there are a few exceptions there too. I know I am prejudiced, but I don't think Kirby Not-so-Smart will ever be a good HC.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And then there is Bobby Dodd, Frank Broyles, Steve Spurrier. Probably several more, but, in general, you are probably right. Good defensive players, or even good defensive coordinators seldom make good head coaches, although there are a few exceptions there too. I know I am prejudiced, but I don't think Kirby Not-so-Smart will ever be a good HC.
Kirby will be another Ray Goff but without the good ole boy personality ;) A lot of the great coaches were bench warmer players who became graduate assistants.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Smart is headed for Strong territory.

He comes from a program that will do anything, literally anything, to win and win big. I think that trying something like that at Ugag was one reason they hired him. However

It isn't so easy to turn a program that follows the Devaney Rule ("I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation.") into something like what they have at Bama. The main problem is the way the players are treated like disposable towelettes over there. I don't want to say too much favorable about the Dwags, but I don't think they're up for that kind of a regime, especially if it can't deliver the MNC in nothing flat. Saban gets away with it because, hey, that's the way Bama rolls and everyone over there knows it. Cheating on regs and players is their thing and they'll do it because they get MNCs so regularly.

But we'll see. I think there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if we win down there this year. I'd put the probability of that at about 50% today.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Smart is headed for Strong territory.

He comes from a program that will do anything, literally anything, to win and win big. I think that trying something like that at Ugag was one reason they hired him. However

It isn't so easy to turn a program that follows the Devaney Rule ("I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation.") into something like what they have at Bama. The main problem is the way the players are treated like disposable towelettes over there. I don't want to say too much favorable about the Dwags, but I don't think they're up for that kind of a regime, especially if it can't deliver the MNC in nothing flat. Saban gets away with it because, hey, that's the way Bama rolls and everyone over there knows it. Cheating on regs and players is their thing and they'll do it because they get MNCs so regularly.

But we'll see. I think there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if we win down there this year. I'd put the probability of that at about 50% today.
If Georgia wins 7 games this season and 7-8 in 2017 the UGAG fans will be hanging Kirby Goff in effigy like they did Ray Goff in 1993. I think Georgia will have another head coach by 2019.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He would be a much better hire than some up and comer you would have to look up on wikipedia to find anything about.
What did Paul Johnson say about the most popular player on the team being the backup QB? The most popular coach on the team is the one losing somewhere else.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'd be interested in Miles as a sort of social experiment because there are always comments about how big name big school coach would/would not be able to have success at GT.

Miles failed at LSU with a team full of 4-5 star kids, how do you think he would make out at GT?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He failed by LSU standards, he had a damn good football record.

Yeah, I think the point that was trying to be made goes back to the commitment/expectations comments from CPJ. When you have a school that has made the commitment that they have, you have higher expectations. When schools like LoSerU and georgie can repeatedly sign top recruiting classes but the results don't match the talent, then they make a change.

GT's results, for the most part, have out-paced our recruiting rankings (at least on offense). So, if he doesn't maximize his talent there, what makes people think he'd maximize his talent here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee is back to where they were 15 years ago and still they have similar threads on Tennessee message boards about Butch Jones.

Tennessee talks about firing their head coach after the first game and that's every year!

True story. I was heading to a game in Knoxville with a booster and a friend, one who played for UT when they went 11-1. The booster was talking about firing the coach.

"What do you want?" asked my friend and former player.

"We just want to WIN", the booster said.

"You do realize we won ten games last year, right?"

I see this movie every year.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I do believe that Kirby will not be an improvement over Richt. Unfortunately, UGA is not Alabama and he will find a much tougher row to hoe in Athens than in Tuscaloosa.
I think he'll be out after three seasons. The only reason Ray Goff lasted as long as he did was there was no internet as we know it and Vince Dooley was his buddy.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As I have often shared with colleagues who are UGA fans ... UGA ain't Bama. Get over it.

I grew up with Alabama football and Bear Bryant. Simply put, there is no comparison. You cannot explain it to someone who has not experienced it. It permeates through every aspect of society there.

I remember dating a girl whose brother went to Auburn. "Are you serious about this girl?", my sisters asked. "You do know her brother went to Auburn, right?" Ixnay on dating this chick.

I like Kirby. I wish him well. But the UGA program in no way resembles Bama.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Miles failed at LSU with a team full of 4-5 star kids, how do you think he would make out at GT?

I haven't the slightest clue, which is why I said I'd be interested in seeing him at GT.

Maybe Miles has a natural hidden talent for making National Championship winners out of academic minded 2* and 3* recruits, but he had to suppress that talent so he could take a job coaching 4* and 5* recruits. We're not going to find out if we keep making decisions by prejudging the outcome.